“More than just dumplings!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Gungahlin
Cuisines: Asian, Dim Sum
“More than just dumplings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have been here on a few occassions and not for the dumplings but their dishes. The dumplngs are just a bonus. The salt and pepper calamari is the best I have had in Canberra. I have been very satisfied with the food on every occasion.

The only thing I'd say that needs improving is that you just don't know what order your food will come out. We typically want the dumplings as entrees however on most occasions they have come out after the mains. On some occasions drinks have also come out after the food.

• Visited March 2014

Canberra, Australia
“Average asian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try this relatively new restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised by the service and atmosphere. Regarding the most important thing the food mmm we shared the pork dumplings for entree. The pork mince mixture was very tasty unfortunately we both felt the dumpling itself was too thick and somewhat gluggy. For the main we ordered the Beijing chicken and shallot and the cumin lamb and a side of steamed rice. Now without sounding too harsh you would think an asian restaurant would be able to cook rice perfectly as isn't that their trademark not necessarily as the rice was gluggy! The chicken dish was extremely tasty and the sauce yum unfortunately it was very salty. The cumin lamb dish mmm very unusual although the lamb was cooked very well the combination of flavours or lack of just didn't cut it. It was unfortunately not very tasty at all. The worst thing is my wife and were very thirsty for quite awhile after we left the restaurant. Sad to see another average restaurant amongst many in the Gunghalin area if you want decent asian you have to travel to Dickson where it is known as Canberra's little china town.

Visited February 2014
Wagga Wagga, Australia
“Nice food but unhappy with the BYO policy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I brought a six pack of beer to the restaurant to enjoy with friends whilst we ate our meal and was told you were not allowed BYO beer, only BYO wine. What reason could they possibly have for not allowing BYO Beer? It wasn't because they sell beer because they also sell wine, I would have been more than happy to pay corkage. Disappointed....

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australia
“Delicious dumplings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

A friend an I had lunch here yesterday. Now, I don't particularly like steamed dumpling or wontons. The ones I've had at other restaurants were not to my taste, especially the steamed variety.

Well, my opinion of steamed dumplings and wontons has changed as I absolutely loved the ones we ate at the Jade Dumpling House. As it was lunchtime, we just ordered off the entrée menu. We had the Number 1 Jade Xiao Long Bao (steamed mini pork dumplings) - there were 6 pieces; and we also ordered Number 15 Spicy Wontons (vegetables and pork wonton in a spicy sauce peanut butter and chilli sauce) - there were 10 pieces.

It appears that the wontons and dumplings are made fresh and delivered to your table. Both dishes were so delicious and light. This was enough for 2 females for lunch but a male would probably go another dish. The total bill was $20. I thought this was great value.

The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly.

The restaurants have a good variety of foods, not just dumplings and wontons.

I will be returning and taking my husband with me and I would recommend this restaurant to family and friends.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“If you like dumplings you will love the Jade Dumpling and Noodle House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Went to dinner to celebrate a family birthday at the Jade Dumpling House and was pleasantly surprised by the vast number of different options available on the menu, the quality of the food and the portion sizes plus the courteous, friendly, welcoming attitude of the owner and his staff who went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed your meal.

We normally frequent another Chinese restaurant close to home which serves some of the best food south of the lake (and has been run by the one family for the 30 years we have been eating there). Unfortunately it is closed on Monday nights so decided on the Jade as it is close to the birthday girl's apartment - glad we did as the dumplings were superb. Also got a surprise when we arrived and looked across the restaurant to see the family that runs our local restaurant also dining there to celebrate a birthday - can't get a better recommendation than that and it turns out they eat there quite often on a Monday night.

The food was very reasonably priced and the kitchen area is open to the side of the dining area so you can see your dishes being prepared if you like.

• Visited November 2013