“Beautiful lodge and rooms; wonderful staff; ridiculous price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Malikha Lodge

Malikha Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Putao
Malikha Lodge
You added Malikha Lodge to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mulashidi Village, Putao, Myanmar   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Putao
Tenafly, New Jersey
“Beautiful lodge and rooms; wonderful staff; ridiculous price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The isolated setting overlooking a river and mountains is lovely. The room (actually individual cottages) are very large and comfortable with wood stoves that are lit every morning at 6 AM by the staff. The staff is incredibly helpful. The price of the rooms however is ridiculously high. The restaurant is lovely and the food good, but not as good as it should be for $600+ a night. The management has built a less plush, but still very lovely hotel also on the river, but does not yet have permits to open the new hotel. When they do open it, I would recommend the less expensive option which is still extremely attractive set next to a tea plantation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

First visited the Malikha Lodge in February 2007 and returned in March 2012 with wife and two children. It is a very, very special place and I am happy to report that the experience was actually better even though the property hs changed hands a couple of times. The rooms are amazing and incredibly comfortable and the local staff are incredibly kind, welcoming and warm. The excursions are pretty much the same as before and are definitely more on the soft side of adventure rather than extreme although I imagine some of the multi-night treks could be very difficult and challenging. If there was a complaint it is about the food which is good and abundant but repetitive although to be fair we were there at the end of the season and I think the kitchen was staffed by a skeleton crew. Anyway if you have the time, means and an excellent tour operator like Asia Transpacific Journeys you should definitely try and fit this into your journey. The region is reportedly closed now due to political issues with the Kachin minority group and neighboring China but definitely put it on your list.

Room Tip: If traveling with family select rooms closer to the main lodge. There are some dangerous and steep d...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Saddle River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just came back from 2 weeks in Myanmar. Went on a special Andrew Harper tour that left much to be desired. Their write-up exaggerated on what they really delivered. While I have many issues with AH, I can say that Malikha Lodge was outstanding. Great service, great food, and beautiful rooms. The activities available- walking thru local villages, hiking in thick forests- our guides had machetes to cut thru undergrowth-, rafting down the river with a special lunch on a stone island, great massages were all terrific. breakfasts were outstanding with everything from local Burmese soups to standard eggs cooked to order, lunch and dinner you had a choice of European or Burmese menu- both delicious. At night your food burning stove is set up and glowing and if you ask they will " sneak" into your room and relight the fire before you get up and then bring you coffee. Rooms were clean, plenty of hot water, spacious and wonderful. Highly recommend if you can get there.

Room Tip: Any room is great. No swimming pool or river beach but great views of mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've a trip with my friends to Myanmar last December 2011. I never regret of decided to visit to Putao, with 3 transit flight by Air Bagan, we reach the northern part of Myanmar, with a view of Himalaya snow mountains, close to freezing point weather, crispy fresh air. Staying in Putao only resort, Malikha lodge, a nearly perfect resort i've stayed so far. A warm greetings from local staffs, a golden teak wood resort no where in the bamboo forest, a glass floor view of river, warm stove burning... what i can get more?
The restaurant serving a fantastic local/western food, all kind of beverages provided~! Walk out the restaurant, a wooden terrace build at the river bank, give u a view of river+forest+sky... the view is heaven like~!!!
Strongly suggest to try the rafting at the river just beside the resort, it's peaceful ride with a little bit adventures. The water are freezing cold~! I've never experience such natural view in my life that i only can watch it from National Geography channel. After a 2 hours rafting, a surprise lunch prepared by the resorts just on the stone island middle in the river we landed. Thanks to our professional rafting guide from Nepal~!
Before i leave the place, i decided to leave part of my soul there, a place like heaven~!

Room Tip: All rooms are fine~! Get the river view room~!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Darwin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

We did the Rawang Explorer in December 2009, which is 4 days hiking and 3 nights at malikha lodge. The hike was beautiful, with excellent food and guides. But beware, lots of up hill, very cold and you stay in village houses rather than camp (the itinerary was very misleading in this regard).

The lodge itself is wonderful, with everything included - food, wine, massages, activities. But the food wasn't that great (not the 'gourmet' they advertise) and the rooms are very cold despite the fireplaces (they are open between the wall and the roof). Also problems with hot water at the lodge which was very disappointing. Our flight with Air Bagan was cancelled on the way to the lodge and they said the flight in three days time was booked and we would have to go back to Yangon! After much pleading (we had prepaid for our trek and stay at the lodge!) they put us up in a hotel in Myitkyina with no hot water. When we arrived at Malikha lodge the next day we had about an hour to get ready before heading on the hike - and there was no hot water in our room either! We asked them to look at it to make sure we had hot water when we arrived back from the trek. But when we got back we filled (the beautiful) bath about 1/4 full before the hot water ran out again. They did finally fix it, but it was all rather disappointing.

In summary its a great place if you really want to see Putao and have money to burn (I wouldn't go there just for the lodge), but beware that you may not actually get there (and I don't know about their refund policy if Air Bagan cancels, the lodge and the airline are owned by the same people). If you are going there for a hike, I would recommend you pay a bit extra and go with them as the food was fantastic, they have extra warm sleeping bags and bring you hot water to wash down with at the end of the day. Its those little luxuries that really make the difference when you're climbing mountains all day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Oakland, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

We recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in Myanmar and this was the highlight of our trip. Great rooms, food, staff and activities in an area that is hard to get to but gives an incredible view of real Kachin state and Hill Tribe life. Go now before it becomes easier to get to and the local people aren't as curious about us as we were of them.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Getting there and out
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

I stayed at Malika Lodge last year and it was truly an unforgettable experience. I took a short flight to Putao from Rangoon and arrived at the lodge and was pleasantly surprised to see the two working elephants from the lodge with their keeper, chilling in the sunshine before heading down to the river. The staff are extremely welcoming and have magnetic smiles - we felt very well looked after and language was no problem.

The main lodge itself is stunning, dark woods, giant bamboo - and the architecture of the massive rooms feels discreetly luxurious. Each individual room is a mini lodge with beautiful Jim Thompson silk furnishings and huge beds. My husband especially loved stoking up the fireplace - each lodge has a free standing fireplace and they provide firewood...you can't beat a fireplace like this in such fantastic surroundings.

Bathing at the lodge took me to another dimension - bathtime was in a huge 6 ft round teak bath (like a giant teacup), or if I wished I could use a shower with one of the biggest heads I have ever seen...heaven. The lodge is made of entirely local materials...all carried to the lodge by the elephants - the black slate tiling used in the bathroom is from the banks of the Nam Lang river itself. In the morning we had breakfast on the terrace with an amazing view of the river, framed by The Himilayas...a sight I will never forget.

Food was fantastic - more modern eclectic I loved the Swedish chef's snow pea shoot salads and the menu was perfect for the cooler climate, we had a delicious beef stew and some delicately flavoured fish dishes, all very yummy.

Our days were filled with elephant rides and gentle trips down the river - there's lots to do but to be honest the area is so beautiful you just end up walking around staring at everything...our eyes feasted on the natural wonders around us and the local people made us feel like we'd been wrapped in a warm blanket, we'll never forget their smiles.

I am definately going back to Malika lodge as part of my stay in Myanmar next year...this time I will be bringing a couple of friends to share some good wine and take in the wonders of in this amazing place.

My only tip - take your I-Pod!!

• Liked — The location, the views and the luxurious finishings, service and the friendliness of the staff and locals
  • Disliked — It was a little bit cold - I wish I had bought more clothes, my fault though
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putao
Belmond Governor's Residence
Belmond Governor's Residence
#1 of 109 in Yangon (Rangoon)
4.5 of 5 stars 939 reviews
Inle Princess Resort
Inle Princess Resort
#1 of 13 in Taunggyi
4.5 of 5 stars 563 reviews
Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Sule Shangri-La Yangon
#3 of 109 in Yangon (Rangoon)
4.5 of 5 stars 1,613 reviews
Bagan Lodge
Bagan Lodge
#2 of 37 in Bagan
4.5 of 5 stars 188 reviews

Been to Malikha Lodge? Share your experiences!