“We recommend this hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Olimpico

You added Hotel Olimpico to your Saves list
Hotel Olimpico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Lago Trasimeno | South Coast of Salerno, 84098 Pontecagnano, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
30% OFF on Official Site
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Pontecagnano
Robina, Australia
“We recommend this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I am sad to see the Hotel Olimpico with average reviews.
Everyone complements the staff. They richly deserve it.
Our room looked out onto the parking courtyard, but even that had a pleasant fountain and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony.The bathroom had modern fittings. The bed was excellent. We had a room safe, so valuables were able to be secured even should the cleaning [which gave us fresh towels and clean bathroom every day] require some airing. We left our room open ourselves when going to meals.
Breakfast: was extensive; with fruit juices, cereal, fresh fruit, poached fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, beans mushrooms. Fresh made omelettes were available [and similarly crepes] There was toast bread, croissants and cakes. We were late one morning and the criossants had run out. I did not ask if there were more in the kitchen. My waistline could do without. What else could you expect?
Dinner?. We enjoyed our food. I had beautiful fresh fish lovely pasta, and nothing mediocre.
Bring a car, and then you can drive along the road if you want a 3 course lunch. Paestum has lovely restaurants.
The area of the hotel is beachfront, and at present the beaches are awaiting customers and doing up their premises for this summer. Some are derelict, but the beach itself is lovely as we walked over to the hotel's beach and could see across to Amalfi. We walked up and down the beach road. We walked down the road that the hotel entrance is from, and felt quite safe. A passing motorist, a young woman with her family aboard waved out as she passed. We did not visit Salerno, except to catch the ferry. And there were bunches of excited Italian school children braving the third world conditions on school trips. We saw the bus station.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Daleringh,

thank you for your positive review and for choosing our property for your holidays. We are happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will personally give your review to Laura and Giuseppe. They are an important part of our wonderful staff which allow us to have such a satisfied clientele.

We wish also to inform you that 2015 rates are already on line (and very attractive NOW) and that special discounts/upgrades are available for our repeaters guests.

we wish to welcome you back soon in Salerno
Gaetano Serluca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I just checked out of this hotel. Looking at the website, I thought this hotel would be a great location for our vacation. It was ok, but nothing special. The location is not so great, and the rooms are really average. I expect a bit more in a beach hotel (like Kleenex tissues in case you need to blow your nose!) and other small things. It was disappointing.

The surrounding area is also a bit distressed, if not dangerous. The service was ok. We sat at the bar for 20 minutes waiting for anyone to come and take our order. Found out that the bartender was on a break. (Since the bar is right next to the front desk, and the front desk person was sitting right there it would have been nice for that person to speak up).

The restaurant has an extensive menu and the dinner was very good. We didn't care for breakfast, but dinner was good. Had it not been for a good dinner, I would have given it a 2.

Glad to be moving on, and we won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our family run resort, and in fact our home too as we not only run the resort, but also live here.

We take great pride in our resort and though first impressions may leave you thinking the area is not optimal, this is Campania, a region of Italy where this is in fact a very optimal location just outside a major city, Salerno, for a resort. It is only due to our location, slightly outside the city, to which we offer free shuttles which bring you not only to the city centre but to all major ports for all locations of interest in the region, that we are able to create an enclave full of a resort feel, pool spacious, modern rooms with amenities like free wifi and plenty of space along with a beach 50m from the hotel. If you read most of the reviews this is what is most appreciated.

Our breakfast is usually heralded as one of our selling points as few hotels in Italy do such an extensive, full, personalised and diverse breakfast as we do. Italian breakfast is very different from breakfast in other countries.

We do appreciate the compliments on the cuisine at our restaurant where our chefs put a lot of effort into creating great cuisine for our guests, they have it down to an art and we are proud of our extensive a la carte menu. We also have a pizzeria on premises.

Finally to address the issue of the bar incident, I apologise profusely and do agree this was not an acceptable way of handling the situation by our front desk staff, we do better than this and expect the best from our staff as well. By all means I do hope you come back and let me make up for the bar episode with a drink on the house and perhaps another look at all we have to offer.

Gaetano Serlucca
Michigan Center, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week and it was like staying with family. They treated us very well. The all of the staff were excellent...Antonio & Pedro just to name a couple. The owner was very helpful. It truly is a diamond in the ruff. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is the place to go. I would love to go back and stay again and hopefully we will. Thank you for a wonderful stay and making us feel like home.

Mary & Jim
Room 216

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Mary & Jim,

thank you for your positive review and for choosing our property for your holidays. We are happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will personally give your review to Antonio and Pietro. They are an important part of our wonderful staff which allow us to have such a satisfied clientele.

We wish to welcome you back soon in Salerno
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

It's taken me awhile to write this, because I have mixed feelings about the Hotel Olimpico. I had very high expectations. I feel that, on their website, they present themselves as a resort hotel. And, of course, they can't be blamed for the weather, which was not great when we were there. If it had been, we probably would have enjoyed our stay more, because as it was too cool and rainy to go in the pool, (and the beach doesn't even open until Mid-May). I have to agree with the people who say the location is not great. If you don't have a car, you are pretty much completely dependent on the shuttle bus. That's ok, but the problem is this: you have to book it in advance, and you can't always predict when you're going to want to return. If you don't have a phone (which we didn't), you could wind up stranded in downtown Salerno for a long time. And believe me, you don't want that to happen. Especially if you're stuck at the train station. There is not even one bench, and you DON"T want to go to the ladies' room there if you can help it. Another big disappointment for me was the lack of assistance by the staff. One of them, Laura, was very pleasant and she did try to be helpful. However, she advised us that we could get to Paestum by bus, which would come across the road from the hotel, at 11:00. Well, we waited there until around 11:20, and gave up. We had no way of knowing whether or not the bus would actually come (we were the only ones waiting) and when we got back to the hotel, the man at the desk (Giuseppe, I believe) informed us that this is a private bus, not a city bus, and sometimes doesn't show up. We later got a different story from Laura, who explained that time is basically a relative concept in Italy, and the bus might just have been late. At the time, we asked Giuseppe what our options were, and if he could arrange for a taxi to take us to Paestum. He discouraged us from doing this, by saying that it would be expensive (I believe, 40 euros each way). This basically ruined our day because we had to wait until 2:00 to go into Salerno on the shuttle (as there was nothing else to do) and once there, we didn't really have enough time to get on a train or bus to go anywhere else. So we spent the afternoon walking around Salerno and at least saw the historic district. The point is that a resort hotel would do a much better job of arranging day trips to neighboring areas. All they do is hand you a plastic container filled with maps and brochures. They did not offer to contact an excursion company for us. Now, for the good part. I have to disagree with the other reviewers who did not like the restaurant. For me, that was the best part about the hotel. Both my husband and I loved the food. We did not have one bad dish there, and the waiters were wonderful. We even enjoyed Heaven, the restaurant across the street (and I am SO thankful they were open for lunch on the day we got stuck there, or we would have starved since the hotel restaurant doesn't open until 7:30). I have to agree that the area around the hotel is very run-down, and you do feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. Our room was also a bit of a disappointment, since it was a "Superior" room with a sea view, but it was quite small, in fact the smallest room we stayed in while we were in Italy for 12 days. All in all, this was an "ok" stay, but if we toured this area again, we would absolutely stay someplace like Sorrento, Amalfi, or Positano, even if it cost a little bit more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Hi Virginia,

Thank you for your thorough and courteous review of our services and facilities. Please let me take these point by point to clarify all points and not miss any of your well thought out critiques.

1) Thank you for having stayed at our family run and occupied, yes we call this home, resort. We consider it a lovely oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities yet close enough to thoroughly enjoy all they have to offer. Our location is ideal, a mere 50m from the beach and our hotel boasts a swimming pool as well; unique in the coastal area. I wish I had a way to change the weather in April but that is just the unfortunate reality of weather, nothing we could have changed.

2) Thanks for the compliments on our excellent cuisine. As the owners we pride ourselves on the fact that our chefs bring passion to their work every day and create delicious unique dishes. I also want to add that we have a pizzeria on premises and with the arrival of summer eating dining right on the beach or by the pool is also possible.

3) With regard to the hours of the shuttle service, we are the only hotel in the Salerno area to offer this service. The hours correspond directly with the arrival of the ferries to the Amalfi Coast, Capri and the trains to Pompeii. It is true we prefer you book in advance but not necessary as we do take bookings even minutes before departure. I am horribly sorry you did not have a phone to contact us to collect you at the train station but there was an information stand that could have called us for you and we would have come to collect you immediately.

4) I am not quite sure what the issue with your journey to Paestum was but I do want to stress this was a public bus and the schedule called for it to leave at 11:30 not 11:00 as you wrote. The cost was 2 Euros, we would have been glad to double check all that for you.

5 ) We are able, at our reception desk, upon request, arrange for guided English language tours, for an extra fee of course.

6) I am sorry that our room, which offers many free services including free high speed internet, LCD TV with English channels, mini bar, safe and other amenities was not up to your standard in terms of size. If we were made aware of this during your stay we would have gladly upgraded you to one of our deluxe rooms.

We sincerely hope to host you again under better circumstances, with better weather and if there are ever any issues, please be sure to bring it up to us during your stay and we would gladly rectify it.

Warm Regards

Karmiel, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpico in Pontecagnano, which is a little to the south of Salerno. The location is nothing to write home about, but the Hotel is something else. The staff is very friendly and does its best to make you fell at home from the moment you arrive. The Hotel is beautiful, the service is great and the breakfast is awesome. Moreover, it has a beautiful pool, tennis court, bar and restaurant and a free shuttle service to Salerno from which every tour starts.
To anybody who has not been to Italy yet I have to say: asking for direction in Italy is a feat. Each person you ask will give you different directions, even if you speak the language and worse if you don't. Try to get all the exact information at the Hotel before you get started.
Bus stops are not defined clearly enough so a lot is guess work, but bus rides are very cheap and very comfortable and you can see the panorama without the stress of driving on those mountain roads that are a little more than one and a half car wide...
The famous towns such as Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento and Capri are relatively expensive, but are very nice to visit. If you want to buy souvenirs, it is better to look for the less known towns, where prices are a quarter of what you would pay somewhere else.
The area is beautiful. We visited on May and the weather was great. It was cool enough to be able to walk without getting hot and nice enough to sit in the coffee houses and enjoy the atmosphere.
We recommend this area with all our hearts!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs Maura ,

Thank you for evaluating the Hotel Olimpico on ‘tripadvisor’. We put great emphasis on the opinion of our guests and it is our main ambition to guarantee a consistently high level of service. Therefore, we are especially happy about your positive evaluation.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Hotel Olimpico soon.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The hotel itself is very pretty, modern, clean etc. The only complaint I would have is the restaurant, the food is terrible and expensive. They can offer such low rates because they make all their money on the restaurant. You have no choice but to eat there at least once, because there is nothing else in the area, and no way you would want to walk around the area. Salerno is kind of a nasty slummy city. Although it was perfect base for what we were doing-Amalfi coast and Herculaneum- I did not like Salerno at all. The free shuttle is nice and it definitely saved money on taxi rides. The times of the shuttle was a little to sparse, one time was at 10 and the next one wasn't until 2. They only have one shuttle and one guy to drive, they should hire a few more and offer more shuttles and times. The front desk told us wrong directions to a location, thankfully at the train station a lady that worked there corrected our plans. We probably will not be back because of the location and the horrible expensive food.

Dear Abt7

Thank you for posting your experiences here on Trip Advisor. We regard guests who book, like you, directly from our official site (hotelolimpico.it), link aboce, on the right side of this page, as very clever as you get a far cheaper rate than if you book via travel agencies or other sites, so well done.

I am sorry to hear the restaurant did not meet your standards or live up to your expectations. If you read the many reviews you will see most guests actually compliment our culinary offerings as few places have a pizzeria enabling you to get dishes as cheap as 5 Euros!!!

I am further sorry you did not mention our breakfast buffet, a specific speciality in which we have special chefs in the morning who create fabulous crepes, omelettes, fresh fruit, pizza, eggs of all styles on demand, tomatoes, mozzarella and all the best of local traditions, it is truly a favourite.

While it is true we are located slightly out of town, Salerno, this is actually a benefit for us. For one thing we could never create the resort atmosphere in the city centre, also being located where we are we have sand beaches, rather than the rock beaches found on the Amalfi Coast, and in the vicinity of our hotel are 4 restaurants within walking distance from our premises; I am sorry you did not locate these during your stay.

I do hope one day you will change your mind and return to visit us again, by then we may well have another shuttle added and a third driver. Our shuttle will always remain a free service for all and for those, like you, who booked our 49 Euro rate per night taxes included, the shuttle, parking, the pool, beach, wi-fi and all we have to offer is included.

Best wishes from me and all my staff

Llanbedrog, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Third review of Hotel Olimpico since May 2012!
On arrival we noted that there had been substantial investment in the revamp of the 'front' of the Hotel with superb balconies to the rooms!
The Hotel was just as we had experienced from past visits with the welcome from the Management and Reception team which continued throughout our twelve nights especially in the Restaurant - dinner was again way above the 4 star 'rating' for the Hotel and the prices of the Italian wines are tremendous value! Breakfast has the widest choice I have seen in a Hotel!!
It is a pleasure to finish a great day out or a day around the pool with dinner at Olimpico after a visit to the bar!
We did our usual trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Positano from the ports using the free shuttle to access the stations or ports in Salerno!! Pasteum can be accessed by bus from outside the Hotel - don't bother to hire a car especially if you use the coast road to visit Amalfi!!!
This year we had four nights in a '4' star Hotel outside of Vico Equense before moving to Salerno. Allegedly there was a Restaurant at this hotel run by an ex Michelin Star Chef!! When we asked for lunch on our on arrival we were told - 'no food and no restaurant!!' The place was not even worth '1' star!! Be aware! The contrast to Hotel Olimpico was indescribable!!!
Thank you Gaetano and your team for another memorable holiday!
We live five minutes from a beach here in N. Wales but it is warmer in Salerno in May!!

Dear Jeffrey,

thank you for your positive review and for choosing our property for your third holidays in Salerno and Amalfi Coast area!

We are happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will personally give your review to Laura and Giuseppe at reception, Pietro, Antonio, Luigi and Rosa at the restaurant. They are an important part of our wonderful staff which allow us to have such a satisfied clientele.

We wish also to inform you that 2015 rates are already on line (and very attractive NOW) and that special discounts/upgrades are available for our repeaters guests like you!.

We wish to welcome you back soon in Salerno and thank you for your nice photo made in our properties! (your canon is always better than my Nikon.... :-)

Thank you and we hope to see you again next year.

Gaetano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontecagnano
Novotel Salerno Est Arechi
Hotel Terme Capasso
Hotel Terme Capasso
#1 of 3 in Contursi Terme
4.0 of 5 stars 360 reviews

Been to Hotel Olimpico? Share your experiences!