“Fab food for 4!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Kilcolgan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Kerry
“Fab food for 4!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed some fab fresh fish dishes on saturday night, just popped in without a reservation but we were warmly greeted and seated immediatedly by the very friendly waiter, i must say all the staff @ Morans of the Weir were exceptionally polite and friendly and looked like they were enjoying their work. Between the 4 of us we had the mussels in white wine, fish and chips, fantailed prawns and a soft creamy goats cheese salad washed down with a crisp New Zealand sav blanc for some and creamy pints of Guinness for others! Old fashioned bread and butter pudding, latte and americano helped finish off a relaxing evening. The restaurant was so busy a true sign that Morans is still pleasing its customers!!

Galway, Ireland
“Love fish, love fish, love fish....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Well to begin with I should say that I am a local in this area of Galway, 20 mins drive but had not been in Morans (of the Weir) in quite a while....small kids, family etc. Anyway my husband and I went on an impromptu date night last week and were not disappointed.....SO FAB... my mouth is still tingling....My husband started with the oysters and I had the gravalax, both superb and washed down with some Guinness. Then for mains we opted for a mix of warm crab claws in garlic butter, some prawns cooked with chorizo & baby potatoes (new to the menu) and some good old steamed mussels....all served up with some brown bread and chips (yes I know what a cheat). This meal was so tasty, hit all the taste buds that Morans is renowned for. The staff were great, so helpful and didn't rush us at all. We were lucky enough to get a snug at the front of the old bar to ourselves, yes it was a Friday evening but it was wet and I know for a fact if it had been a sunny evening the place would have been buzzing. We finished off by having coffee and some bread and butter pudding....just ask for the custard..we got both cream and custard but honestly.....custard and lots of it is the only thing needed for bread and butter pudding. Don't go to Morans on a budget, be prepared to splash out, but honestly it is worth it and whatever you do folks.....DON'T RUSH the evening.....it's a place where you take it easy, relax and then ....relax some more! Enjoy

Reading, Massachusetts
“Twenty minutes from Galway and well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

After taking a day trip to Galway my wife and I made a stop at Moran's for dinner. The drive was only twenty minutes and it was definitely worth it. We started with a plate of oysters which were fantastic. Be warned however that unlike the US these oysters are not served completely chilled and on a bed of ice with horseradish, tobasco or cocktail sauce. They are a little saltier but are incredibly tasty and I would suggest them to anyone that truly loves oysters. Both entrees were delicious and the smoked salmon was incredible.
Located on an inlet the view was pretty incredible if you are sitting outside ( I must add that it was sunny and 70 degrees outside so that helps). The wait staff was attentive and did a good job. Thoroughly enjoyed it. This restaurant has been in business since 1797 and I am sure it will be around for my next trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Galway, Ireland
“excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

haven't been here for a long time but was very pleasantly surprisrd this occasion.
food was as good as I have had anywhere.great to see a local place making such an effort.
will recommend this to all.
well done.
go n-eirigh libh.

• Visited August 2012
“Overpriced....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a long drive from Galway. The menu is very limited. This is really a place for those who like " cold fish". If its fresh cooked fish you are after then better off going in the other direction and OGradys in Bearna is a better option.

On my recent visit we had smoked salmon and prawns with brown bread.This would be ideal as a starter but not really for dinner. The prices were also very steep for what we were getting. This is a good pub in a fantastic location but its not really a top restaurant, come here for the drinks and starter type dishes ..but not really for dinner.

On a sunny afternoon it's ideal to come here for a glass of wine with some prawns etc...but keep an eye on the bill , you could get a shock especially with such an extensive wine list. The Celtic Tiger has left but has left behind its prices here in Morans..

Visited May 2013