“Give it a miss” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Noosa
Hiroshima, Japan
“Give it a miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The place while staffed by friendly young backpackers earning a buck to travel is owned by a lady who has probably had enough of the hospitality industry. The place also needs a jolly good clean. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

i stayed here for 2 nights and i really liked it. i love the courtyard area and the rooms were nice and clean. don't really know what to say about staff, didn't talk to them much, it was all booked by a travel agency, I had no problems.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Originally planned to stay hear for 2 nights and ended up 5! Really nice hostel - one of the best I stayed in in Oz. Its really relaxed atmosphere and the other backpackers were all friendly and willing to chat. Staff were so friendly....they go out of their way to help you and give advise. Im a really disorganized traveler and they really tried their best to get me a bed each night I wanted to extend. Really close to an amazing beach and the shuttle runs to the main town every few hours where you can get to the shops and the Main Beach. Every 2 dorm rooms share a kitchen (newly refurbished just as I left)and bathroom so there is always room to cook etc. TVs in every unit too where you can watch cable tv and the also have bigger tv in common area where you can chill out in a hammock and watch a dvd. Would have loved to stay longer. Thanks to all the staff for great stay

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

On arriving at Dolphin Beach house we noticed straight away that the staff were quite rude except one or two. The room was okay and we liked the idea of having a kitchen that was only shared between 2 dorm rooms, although i think it helped that the kitchen had just been refurbished as some of the other kitchens were pretty grotty. The staff are quite tight with the aircon and me and my friend were extremely hot every night which resulted in getting up at 5am as it was unbearable. We asked for the aircon to be turned on more often and at more appropriate times rather than during the day when there was no-one in the room, we were told that more people complain about it being too cold so the problem wasn't solved.

We noticed a poster in reception that advertised a free courtesy bus to the zoo, which is incorrect as it is just a free shuttle to where the public bus for the zoo picks up from. We also checked with the receptionist whether the zoo accepts VIP backpacker cards which she claimed they didn't, however on arriving at the zoo we checked with the staff there who told us that they did accept them. The staff at the hostel told us that we had to pre-book tickets for the zoo and could not buy then on the day we went there, so we missed out on the discount due to the poor customer service at the hostel.

We also had to pay $2 for a DVD which is ridiculous, i agree with a $10 deposit in case of damage but charging you to watch the DVD is stupid, i have never heard of this in any other hostel. They also advertise a swimming pool on their website and on leaflets when actually the swimming pool is no bigger than a bath, I really don't think they should be advertising this!

Not a particularly pleasant stay we were glad to leave.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hostel is awesome!!! My friends and i had a wonderful experinece! This hostel has great prices and you get free use of surf boards. The location is awesome, close to the amazing beach! We had such a great time here, didnt want to leave. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they really made you feel at home, they were helpful and were ;willing to help with travel plans and advice on where to go. The other guests of the hostel were all very friendly and outgoing. This is a really great place to hang out and meet new people. Love it!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Noosa, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had seen a price on Hostel World, quoting 18 dollars per night. We rang to confirm it and gave credit card details. When we arrived there, the receptionist was not that interested, got our names wrong and the nights to be booked. He then said that it would be 22 dollars per night. We explained about the internet quote and how we were told on the phone about the price. He did not care so we decided to wait outside for the transit bus to drop us back into the town. The receptionist came back out and told us we'd be charged. I asked to speak to a manager. He sent out a guy that was about 18 and he made up different stories as to how we were told of the booking/ cancellation policy. We explained that we hadn't been and had to argue for nearly a half an hour, his story kept changing. Eventually he said that the manager would agree not to charge us, but the bus would not drop us back to the centre. We had to carry our huge bags through the town which was exhausting and took a half an hour. When we finally made it to another hostel, the manager had asked us what happened. Apparently the manager of Dolphins had rang and blacklisted us throughout the entire town. We were disgusted by this as we had done nothing wrong and were treated so poorly. I wouldn't advise staying here, its also really far out.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was given a decent price so I decided to book three beds for three nights. When I called I was told that they would not charge my card until check in. When I arrived they couldn't find my booking, they had my name wrong as well as the number of nights I was staying. The guy working at reception told me a different price from the one that was posted online. As well, on their website it says they will match any other hostel in Noosa heads. So I decided to bring up a deal that was offered over at Nomads. They refused to give us that price. When I decided to leave they were going to charge me for one night. I was never informed of this when I called. When I asked to speak to a manager they sent out another backpacker who was working there. They argued and continuesly changed the stories about who was on the phone the day I called. Eventually they agreed not to charge me. But then they called ALL the other hostels in Noosa and told them not to let us check in! Luckily, I spoke to the manager at Nomads before Dolphins tried to have us black listed from there. I would not recommend that people stay there unless they are looking for horrible customer service.

• Stayed October 2011