“Perfect location, luxurious” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Emerald Resort Noosa

You added The Emerald Resort Noosa to your Saves list
The Emerald Resort Noosa
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   42 Hastings Street | Noosa Heads, Noosa, Queensland 4567, Australia   |
Ranked #43 of 132 Specialty Lodging in Noosa
brisbane
“Perfect location, luxurious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Our one night stay was so good - felt truly refreshed. My partner booked the apartment after enjoying several nights with the boys (note to self - he owes me!)
Lady at reception pleasant and helpful - beach just round the corner - would definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent 4 nights in Noosa recently. We had a 2 bedroom for 3 adults and a toddler. The apartment was spacious and reasonably appointed, but quite dated and only moderately clean. We did have a quiet room with a large balcony and a huge roof deck.

On checking in, we had to ask the folks at the front desk to have someone come and clean the giant dust bunnies out from under the beds - they clearly hadn't been touched in a long time. The linen was clean, but towel supply was barely adequate. We were provided 2 facecloths and 2 hand towels for the 4 of us for 5 days (?!). We requested and received 2 extra facecloths "without extra charge" although we were sternly warned that normally they charge for this privilege. One felt "nickled and dimed" throughout - there was one garbage bag for the whole stay, one packet of dishwasher detergent, one packet of dish soap, etc. We stayed in 4 separate serviced apartments in 4 cities and this was the case for 2 of them. I would think it's in an owner's best interest to provide guests with an ample number of garbage bags…..One was also expected to not just have the dishwasher running on departure, but to have every dish dried and put away or face a $80 charge. Really?

To try and be positive, we loved the location and had the pleasure of being in Noosa during a quiet time of the year. Parking is conveniently located at the back of the building and easy to access. The elevators were numerous as there are only 3-4 units per floor in the various buildings. The beach was just across the street and the hotel pool was clean and shady. The "spa" was freezing cold for the duration of our stay - like everything else, the hotel staff was indifferent to this as well.

As mentioned by others, the front desk staff was terribly indifferent - never looked up to say "hi" as we walked past, never inquired about our stay or if they could be of help, never asked us if we wanted recommendations. At one point, the shower door fell off and almost fell on one of us in the shower. We managed to fix it and alerted the front desk as we were concerned this might of been a major safety issue. The person there nodded and did not look up nor send anyone up to look at it. This is really quite sad, as a little attention to detail, a little updating of the decor and a few smiles could take The Emerald Resort from OK to great. My next Noosa stay will definitely involve trying out somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask carefully about location of your room and what is included before you book. Ask for a room facin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

booked accommodation well ahead and specifically requested rooms away from front restaurant. rooms were on pathway through resort so was disturbed by light shining in room and comings and goings all night. aldo right at pool entrance so noise all day from pool. guest service can only be described as indifferent. very mean approach to supply of basics eg no dishwashing liquid. will never stay there again

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our stay was last minute and for only 2 nights as we wanted to extend our stay in Noosa and the other place we were staying at were fully book and therefore could not extend with them and so found accommodation here. What a nice surprise. the staff were very friendly and helpful we stayed in a superior room the first night which was simply lovely, recently renovated very modern and comfortable and spacious. The second night we stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was not renovated but equally comfortable and spacious. Located on Hasting Street therefore great central location and beach across the road. Overall a great boutique apartment complex and would certainly recommend it for your next stay. Complementary parking as well.

Room Tip: superior rooms have recently been renovated. Very nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

i have recently stayed in this unit ,our kids enjoyed being near the pool & having our own private courtyard, also they enjoyed looking out the window & seeing an occasional bush Turkey wondering past.The unit was niclely outfitted.it was a pleasure to return after a hot day at the beach & cool off ,with a pleasant afternoon snooze.the complex is ideally suited short stroll to the beach ,great National park walks & who could go past Sails & Rickys & Gastons as the go to Restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: ask reception if you are looking for something specific, they were helpful
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We loved our stay at the Emerald Hotel in Noosa. The hotel is very centrally located and very easy to get to the beach and restaurants on Hastings street. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment there was four of us and plenty of room. The free parking was also a plus. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The only negative was there was no air conditioning in the bedrooms. The main areas were very cool however the bedrooms got super-hot at night. Leaving the doors open at night seemed to work though.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at the Emerald for a week with our 6 month old baby, while my parents also booked an apartment for the same period, so that we could enjoy a family holiday together. Both apartments were booked using Wotif.com, given the rates for the apartments were vastly cheaper than those offered on The Emerald’s own website. I frequently book accommodation through Wotif however, and have never had a problem.

Both on Wotif, and The Emerald Website, there were two apartments offered – “Classic Apartments” which were un-renovated, and the newer “Deluxe” apartments, which were fully renovated and newly furnished. My husband and I booked the more expensive renovated apartment, while my parents booked a Classic as they weren’t too fussed. Both apartments were two bedroom and had air conditioning. A MUST if you’re holidaying in Queensland. Especially with a young baby.

We arrived two days before my parents and checked in. I was informed that we had been given a “lovely” ground floor apartment – Apartment 14. Instantly I feared being shoved into a dark and gloomy ground floor joint, but was informed with a smile that there was a lovely private courtyard. I then replaced my petrified thoughts with those of me sunning myself on the lovely patio while the baby slept.

Anyhoos, we let ourselves in and my dark and gloomy fears were alas, realised. All the lights were on, and it was still dark as heck. I ran out to see the courtyard, which was very shady and also gloomy and full of crazy ol’ bush turkeys lurking about.

I tried to hide my disappointment from my husband. We had spent more than $2,000 on a week of this accommodation, splurged on the “luxe” apartments and ended up with this. On closer inspection, the apartment was SEMI renovated, but also semi disgusting.

One of the bathrooms was renovated, the other was old and crusty. The bedrooms were nice, but opening the cupboards revealed chests of drawers and shelves that were so yucky, I would sooner have placed my clothes in the garbage bin then in them or on them. The furniture was nice and the kitchen was nice but overwhelmingly the apartment had a dark and depressing feel about it.

I began to complain quietly to my husband, but once again, wondered if I was over-reacting. I needn’t have wondered much longer, as a thousand mosquitoes circled around me, my husband and our baby – wherever we went. They were EVERYWHERE. Despite the apartment being fully fly-screened. What the? I can only put this down to the subterranean nature of the apartment, which also backed onto a waterfall in the common area of the building. Regardless, I wasn’t overly keen on my baby contracting Ross River Fever during our week long sojourn and decided that this was enough for me to request a room switch.

I asked politely whether we might be moved to an apartment that wasn’t so “dark”. I was informed that we could be moved, but not for another two days. As Margaret, the lady at reception, looked at what she could do to move us, she muttered “I can’t put you in that one because they don’t like me putting wholesalers there”. I had the over-arching feeling since our arrival that booking through Wotif made you a second class citizen of the Emerald City. Nonetheless, we agreed to stay in there two nights, take our chances with contracting mosquito-borne tropical diseases and move as soon as the new room became available.

We went back to the room, when I then realised the air conditioning only operated in the main living area/kitchen. I hoped that by leaving the bedroom doors open, the AC would send cool air into our sleeping quarters, but it wasn’t to be. The living area was icy cool but the bedrooms were warm and required us sleeping with the fans on. IT wasn’t overly hot on this particular week but once again, I was disappointed as most holiday apartments advertised as having A/C, have it throughout and not just in the main living area.

I then turned on the TV and found that the sound was switching on and off, on and off in a staccato-like fashion. ALL of the foxtel channels were doing this, so I rang Margaret in reception and told her very politely that the TV appeared to be misbehaving. She responded with an air of irritation that “nobody else had complained about the TV” and when I told her that It was for SURE unwatchable due to the volume wavering every one second from full blast to silence and back again, she remained silent and did not offer to do anything about it. “Oh well, I guess if we’re moving soon…” I squeaked. Margaret was quite intimidating you see.

As luck would have it, Margaret had managed to move us into another apartment the very next day, rather than two days later, as originally organised. She told me this during our television conversation, as though she was doing me a REALLY BIG favour. I responded with glee and thanks and excitement, as at this stage, I was still being VERY nice to Marge.

The following day, after no TV watching, no light, hot bedrooms, and a mosquito convention, we rang to see if the room was ready. Once again, it seemed we had irritated the HECK out of Margaret. She told us she would CALL US WHEN THE ROOM WAS READY. Which seemed to be some kind of secret code for “Leave me ALONE”.

Lo and behold, the call arrived later that morning and we packed up our multiple bits of luggage, the groceries we had bought, the baby cot and high chair we had rented and shuttled ourselves 100 times up and down in the elevator to our new apartment. (Being a serviced apartment, there was no help to move our luggage, which was fine. But it took us about 5 trips)

The new apartment was, oh, I don’t know, 17 MILLION times better than the old one. I then realised that we were for sure being taken for a ride and shoved into what could only be the worst apartment in the block, as we were the Wotif imbeciles who surely wouldn’t know any better. I was filled with joy as there didn’t seem to be an insect outbreak in this one, and my skin could once again feel the warmth of UV light. Both bathrooms were renovated and the cupboards weren’t icky. I was delighted and relieved! (And at this point, not remotely angry)

I ran downstairs and gave Margaret a BIG ol smile and said “the new apartment is SO MUCH BETTER! Thank you SO MUCH!” (Word for word). Margaret looked at me and gave me a sarcastic half smile that was less a “you’re welcome” and more of a “thanks for wrecking my day."

At that moment, I decided that Margaret was INCREDIBLY rude and should NOT work in hospitality. I decided from that moment on I would treat her with the disdain that she had treated me with. Margaret and I were THROUGH. FINISHED. KAPUT.

My parents then arrived and got upgraded to a deluxe apartment, even though they didn’t pay for it – lucky them – and were taken to another FABULOUSLY gorgeous apartment. Once again, cementing the fact that apartment 14 was the WORST apartment in the joint.

My husband and I scooted off to the beach with our little bubs. Luckily, my husband forgot something and popped back to the room, only to find water spraying EVERYWHERE in the hallway from the hot water heater in the bathroom. He ran and told Marge who called a plumber. I fear if he wouldn’t have found it at that exact moment, the apartment would have flooded.

To cut a long story short, the plumber came quickly but the hot water heater could not be replaced until the following day. So we were given a set of keys to the adjoining apartment which we were to use to shower and bath the baby. This apartment was ALSO glorious. WHY we were not actually moved into this apartment, I do not know. But anyhow, we shuttled once again back and forth to shower and bath the baby.

The next day, the hot water heater was installed, after the water being turned off for a couple of hours in the morning. So no running water, whatsoever. Then we were told not to use the hot water for another few hours. So all up, 24 hours of water dramas.

Granted, they did what they could to accommodate us as best as possible, but did not apologise or offer to move us into a different room and when we asked if we would be compensated for the inconvenience, were told that it “wasn’t their fault”. Well, it certainly wasn’t ours, but when you’re paying $350 a night for a room, you don’t expect this kind of hubaloo to occur, and when it does, the OBVIOUS thing anyone with half a brain in hospitality would do, is attempt to apologise and compensate the customers who had been

inconvenienced. When we pressed it, we were told we had to ring Wotif, who would THEN ring them. WHAT? So we did. Wotif agreed it was not a good situation and that we should have at least one night refunded.

They said they would get in contact with the Emerald and would let us know.
We continued our stay and had a marvelous time in Noosa. In the end, the apartment was great and suited our needs, except for the air conditioning and the fact that we were treated RUDELY by Margaret. The location on Hastings was great, though the pool was constantly in shade and too cold to swim in.

Upon return to Sydney, we were told by Wotif that The Emerald REFUSED to compensate us in any way, shape or form, and that we should take it up with the ACCC. Before I do so however, I thought I would post this review. So in summary, AVOID apartment 14, and be prepared to deal with rude Margaret. I note that I am not the first reviewer to comment on her rudeness. And do not expect to get a cent refunded if the hot water heater explodes and floods your apartment.

As an end note, we are frequent travellers, and never have issues with our accommodation or the staff. We're not "those" kinds of customers. We're easy going and happy and nice and totally willing to go with the flow when treated with respect and kindness. (Especially when we're paying good $$$ for the privilege). The last place we stayed in Noosa - we had a surfboard stolen from the balcony. The staff were SO helpful and kind and polite re: the whole episode. They did everything they could to help, even though it wasn't their "fault".

What this tells me is that even when something BAD and unfortunate happens, that is beyond anyone's control - as a hotel property you have a choice in how you deal with it. One way sees the customer singing your praises, and the other, well, ends up here.

Customer service was something that was definitely lacking at this property and the way they dealt with us from start to finish left a seriously SOUR taste in my mouth. We will NOT be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Emerald Resort Noosa? Share your experiences!