“Mosquitos, Apartment 14 and a Hot Water Heater Blowout” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Emerald Resort Noosa

Save Saved
You added The Emerald Resort Noosa to your Saves list
The Emerald Resort Noosa
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   42 Hastings Street | Noosa Heads, Noosa, Queensland 4567, Australia   |
Ranked #50 of 130 Specialty lodging in Noosa
Sydney, Australia
“Mosquitos, Apartment 14 and a Hot Water Heater Blowout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at the Emerald for a week with our 6 month old baby, while my parents also booked an apartment for the same period, so that we could enjoy a family holiday together. Both apartments were booked using Wotif.com, given the rates for the apartments were vastly cheaper than those offered on The Emerald’s own website. I frequently book accommodation through Wotif however, and have never had a problem.

Both on Wotif, and The Emerald Website, there were two apartments offered – “Classic Apartments” which were un-renovated, and the newer “Deluxe” apartments, which were fully renovated and newly furnished. My husband and I booked the more expensive renovated apartment, while my parents booked a Classic as they weren’t too fussed. Both apartments were two bedroom and had air conditioning. A MUST if you’re holidaying in Queensland. Especially with a young baby.

We arrived two days before my parents and checked in. I was informed that we had been given a “lovely” ground floor apartment – Apartment 14. Instantly I feared being shoved into a dark and gloomy ground floor joint, but was informed with a smile that there was a lovely private courtyard. I then replaced my petrified thoughts with those of me sunning myself on the lovely patio while the baby slept.

Anyhoos, we let ourselves in and my dark and gloomy fears were alas, realised. All the lights were on, and it was still dark as heck. I ran out to see the courtyard, which was very shady and also gloomy and full of crazy ol’ bush turkeys lurking about.

I tried to hide my disappointment from my husband. We had spent more than $2,000 on a week of this accommodation, splurged on the “luxe” apartments and ended up with this. On closer inspection, the apartment was SEMI renovated, but also semi disgusting.

One of the bathrooms was renovated, the other was old and crusty. The bedrooms were nice, but opening the cupboards revealed chests of drawers and shelves that were so yucky, I would sooner have placed my clothes in the garbage bin then in them or on them. The furniture was nice and the kitchen was nice but overwhelmingly the apartment had a dark and depressing feel about it.

I began to complain quietly to my husband, but once again, wondered if I was over-reacting. I needn’t have wondered much longer, as a thousand mosquitoes circled around me, my husband and our baby – wherever we went. They were EVERYWHERE. Despite the apartment being fully fly-screened. What the? I can only put this down to the subterranean nature of the apartment, which also backed onto a waterfall in the common area of the building. Regardless, I wasn’t overly keen on my baby contracting Ross River Fever during our week long sojourn and decided that this was enough for me to request a room switch.

I asked politely whether we might be moved to an apartment that wasn’t so “dark”. I was informed that we could be moved, but not for another two days. As Margaret, the lady at reception, looked at what she could do to move us, she muttered “I can’t put you in that one because they don’t like me putting wholesalers there”. I had the over-arching feeling since our arrival that booking through Wotif made you a second class citizen of the Emerald City. Nonetheless, we agreed to stay in there two nights, take our chances with contracting mosquito-borne tropical diseases and move as soon as the new room became available.

We went back to the room, when I then realised the air conditioning only operated in the main living area/kitchen. I hoped that by leaving the bedroom doors open, the AC would send cool air into our sleeping quarters, but it wasn’t to be. The living area was icy cool but the bedrooms were warm and required us sleeping with the fans on. IT wasn’t overly hot on this particular week but once again, I was disappointed as most holiday apartments advertised as having A/C, have it throughout and not just in the main living area.

I then turned on the TV and found that the sound was switching on and off, on and off in a staccato-like fashion. ALL of the foxtel channels were doing this, so I rang Margaret in reception and told her very politely that the TV appeared to be misbehaving. She responded with an air of irritation that “nobody else had complained about the TV” and when I told her that It was for SURE unwatchable due to the volume wavering every one second from full blast to silence and back again, she remained silent and did not offer to do anything about it. “Oh well, I guess if we’re moving soon…” I squeaked. Margaret was quite intimidating you see.

As luck would have it, Margaret had managed to move us into another apartment the very next day, rather than two days later, as originally organised. She told me this during our television conversation, as though she was doing me a REALLY BIG favour. I responded with glee and thanks and excitement, as at this stage, I was still being VERY nice to Marge.

The following day, after no TV watching, no light, hot bedrooms, and a mosquito convention, we rang to see if the room was ready. Once again, it seemed we had irritated the HECK out of Margaret. She told us she would CALL US WHEN THE ROOM WAS READY. Which seemed to be some kind of secret code for “Leave me ALONE”.

Lo and behold, the call arrived later that morning and we packed up our multiple bits of luggage, the groceries we had bought, the baby cot and high chair we had rented and shuttled ourselves 100 times up and down in the elevator to our new apartment. (Being a serviced apartment, there was no help to move our luggage, which was fine. But it took us about 5 trips)

The new apartment was, oh, I don’t know, 17 MILLION times better than the old one. I then realised that we were for sure being taken for a ride and shoved into what could only be the worst apartment in the block, as we were the Wotif imbeciles who surely wouldn’t know any better. I was filled with joy as there didn’t seem to be an insect outbreak in this one, and my skin could once again feel the warmth of UV light. Both bathrooms were renovated and the cupboards weren’t icky. I was delighted and relieved! (And at this point, not remotely angry)

I ran downstairs and gave Margaret a BIG ol smile and said “the new apartment is SO MUCH BETTER! Thank you SO MUCH!” (Word for word). Margaret looked at me and gave me a sarcastic half smile that was less a “you’re welcome” and more of a “thanks for wrecking my day."

At that moment, I decided that Margaret was INCREDIBLY rude and should NOT work in hospitality. I decided from that moment on I would treat her with the disdain that she had treated me with. Margaret and I were THROUGH. FINISHED. KAPUT.

My parents then arrived and got upgraded to a deluxe apartment, even though they didn’t pay for it – lucky them – and were taken to another FABULOUSLY gorgeous apartment. Once again, cementing the fact that apartment 14 was the WORST apartment in the joint.

My husband and I scooted off to the beach with our little bubs. Luckily, my husband forgot something and popped back to the room, only to find water spraying EVERYWHERE in the hallway from the hot water heater in the bathroom. He ran and told Marge who called a plumber. I fear if he wouldn’t have found it at that exact moment, the apartment would have flooded.

To cut a long story short, the plumber came quickly but the hot water heater could not be replaced until the following day. So we were given a set of keys to the adjoining apartment which we were to use to shower and bath the baby. This apartment was ALSO glorious. WHY we were not actually moved into this apartment, I do not know. But anyhow, we shuttled once again back and forth to shower and bath the baby.

The next day, the hot water heater was installed, after the water being turned off for a couple of hours in the morning. So no running water, whatsoever. Then we were told not to use the hot water for another few hours. So all up, 24 hours of water dramas.

Granted, they did what they could to accommodate us as best as possible, but did not apologise or offer to move us into a different room and when we asked if we would be compensated for the inconvenience, were told that it “wasn’t their fault”. Well, it certainly wasn’t ours, but when you’re paying $350 a night for a room, you don’t expect this kind of hubaloo to occur, and when it does, the OBVIOUS thing anyone with half a brain in hospitality would do, is attempt to apologise and compensate the customers who had been

inconvenienced. When we pressed it, we were told we had to ring Wotif, who would THEN ring them. WHAT? So we did. Wotif agreed it was not a good situation and that we should have at least one night refunded.

They said they would get in contact with the Emerald and would let us know.
We continued our stay and had a marvelous time in Noosa. In the end, the apartment was great and suited our needs, except for the air conditioning and the fact that we were treated RUDELY by Margaret. The location on Hastings was great, though the pool was constantly in shade and too cold to swim in.

Upon return to Sydney, we were told by Wotif that The Emerald REFUSED to compensate us in any way, shape or form, and that we should take it up with the ACCC. Before I do so however, I thought I would post this review. So in summary, AVOID apartment 14, and be prepared to deal with rude Margaret. I note that I am not the first reviewer to comment on her rudeness. And do not expect to get a cent refunded if the hot water heater explodes and floods your apartment.

As an end note, we are frequent travellers, and never have issues with our accommodation or the staff. We're not "those" kinds of customers. We're easy going and happy and nice and totally willing to go with the flow when treated with respect and kindness. (Especially when we're paying good $$$ for the privilege). The last place we stayed in Noosa - we had a surfboard stolen from the balcony. The staff were SO helpful and kind and polite re: the whole episode. They did everything they could to help, even though it wasn't their "fault".

What this tells me is that even when something BAD and unfortunate happens, that is beyond anyone's control - as a hotel property you have a choice in how you deal with it. One way sees the customer singing your praises, and the other, well, ends up here.

Customer service was something that was definitely lacking at this property and the way they dealt with us from start to finish left a seriously SOUR taste in my mouth. We will NOT be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
North Shore City, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We loved our stay at the Emerald. Our holiday got off to a shaky start when we arrived at another resort to find we were given totally unsuitable accommodation despite a request for specific accommodation for elderly relatives accompanying us. Margaret assisted us with a prompt and efficient move to a stunning, spacious and comfortable apartment which left the other place for dead. She arranged the transfer of our accom costs from the other place so we did not have to manage or worry about that. The places cost the same yet the Emerald far surpassed the other cramped, and poky place.
It was such a relief to move to the Emerald and find peace, tranquility, space, coolness, privacy and proximity and ease of access to Hastings St. Loved the pool area and the friendliness of the staff with a special mention and thanks to Margaret for bending over backwards to help us when we were faced with our earlier unsuitable accommodation with a far less helpful staff.
We all loved the Emerald and will be back.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask to view the rooms to make the perfect choice either on line or in person. Ours was on the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here with a bunch of friends and we really enjoyed our stay. It was comfortable and had everything you needed in the apartment. Even a hair straightener which some LOVED seeing as a new modern bathroom addition. The ice maker on the fridge had us stumped though....
Loved the beach theme decor.
Margaret gave some great advise to us on where to get coffee and other comfort ideas as well as helping out a lot with our early arrival.
The room was noisy with the restaurant /bar below us, but luckily we were staying up late enough that they had gone quiet when we really wanted sleep.
Very convenient, clean comfy place to enjoy Noosa from.

Room Tip: Check room for position to restaurants below if you want a quiet place.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here at the Emerald. We stayed for 7 days with our two children 9 and 10. We stayed in unit 22, a two bedroom fully self contained with 2 bathrooms and a large living area. The unit had a bit of age on it and was not one of the refurbished rooms but it was still in very good condition and was not "shabby" at all. Unit 22 was a nice quiet unit with a good size balcony that over looked hasting street and a carpark. I would suggest requesting a unit in a quiet area as I would imagine some of the units, particularly around the pool area to be very noisy. The Emerald provides free Internet Wi Fi which is really handy in this day and age, but unfortunately throughout our stay it was "down" most days. The best thing about the Emerald would certainly be the location. Perfect location as you walk straight out the front door onto The amazing Hasting street. Terrific shopping and Devine eating places, not to mention the to die for Noosa beach! We were blessed with faultless weather conditions, high 20's low 30's everyday enabling our family to spend most of our time on the beach directly across the road, or the river behind the Emerald. The Emerald pool is satisfactory without being fantastic. Not huge and is mostly under over. Clean with a hand full of table and chairs. Not much sun gets to the area. This did not effect our stay as it was hot all the time. We stayed during the September school holidays and although the Emerald was booked out so obviously lots of people staying, we did not find it crowded at any times. The parking under the property makes coming and going easy. we hired a car and this proved to be a good idea particuallary to go to the supermarket. There is a small 7 eleven across the road but it is much more expensive. We will certainly return to the Emerald again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have stayed here with our family of 4 three times. Lovely big family rooms. Make sure you ask for a look at the different rooms available before checking in , as some have a more private aspect than others, and different furnishing styles. This is not for people who want rooms with a view, but rather for families who want good quality spacious accommodation right on Hastings street. Lovely small undercover pool area, and very helpful staff. Check out the penthouse if you want to stretch the budget a bit. There are 4 separate apartment buildings that start on Hastings street and work their way back. Try to get one closer to the front. Good, free, secure undercover parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed in a two bedroom superior room recently for a 9 day break ,the quality of the apartment was just breathtaking,have stayed in about 5 different resorts in noosa all priced around the same as the emerald and i can say that the emerald is so much better in terms of size and quality of the apartments,the apartments are tastefully decorated in fresh vibrant colours and have huge rooms and super comfortable beds.very quiet also and the rooms have huge heavy solid soundproof doors.best of all in superb location in the heart of hastings street near everything.the staff are also amazing,margaret is a gem.will be back here every opportunity.best place i have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: choose a superior room, number 3 apartment is brilliant.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had a great stay at the Emerald. Location was brilliant, just across the road from the beach and the surf club. The amenities in our Superior apartment were great, and the apartment was spacious apart from the second bedroom which was a little on the small size for two people sharing a room. Peta as well as most of the staff were very nice with only one grumpy exception. We had a room at the back of the complex which was noisy at times (at night) on the weekends but nothing earplugs couldn't fix. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose an outwardly facing room as a lot seem to face inwards and you can sometimes see people in th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Emerald Resort Noosa? Share your experiences!