“High Expectations, Disappointing Outcome” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 230 Restaurants in Noosa
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Australian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Renowned chef, restaurateur and TV presenter, Peter Kuruvita, brings his signature style and focus on local seafood to iconic Hastings St. The relaxed holiday vibe of the open terrace and bar evolves into a stylish restaurant and cocktail bar as the day progresses.
Noosa, Australia
“High Expectations, Disappointing Outcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

As a Noosa local who's travelled extensively I was excited about the opening of this new restaurant and wanted to wait a few weeks before dining there so that any issues could be ironed out. We dined with another couple there last night, having drinks in the bar downstairs beforehand. The bar is beautifully decorated, very busy and has a great atmosphere. I will return to it but we will not be returning to the restaurant.

To their credit the staff were great though somewhat nervous and stiff. The restaurant however had very little atmosphere, no music that I could hear, bland decor and is very obviously the hotel's buffet breakfast outlet which is converted into a restaurant at night by some lamps on the tables and pulling a few curtains.

To start with we were given two small bowls of spiced popcorn, I suppose as an amouse bouche. I don't even eat popcorn at the movies, thought it was a cheap offering which requires little culinary skill. The entree and main servings were small yet ironically the deserts were a decent serving. I had the snapper curry, it was well presented, tasted great, albeit small. I chose the lime tart for dessert which had a lovely tuille but the tart itself was heavy, sticky, topped with a strange glob of what looked like marmalade that tasted like a mouthfull of crystallised honey I had to remove as it was way too sweet. The bread was grey, thick, heavy, tasteless and came with a bland eggplant condiment.

Sadly the worst part of the night was that we were seated at a table with bench seats (which I detest). They were high (I'm short), deep with absolutely ZERO back support. My husband is in his 60's, I'm in my late 40's and we have sore backs this morning and felt like kids sitting at maccas. Added to this the curtains behind us, unfortunately blocking out the attractive bar below, were continually blowing onto out backs due to the air-con blowing cold air behind them. We should have requested to relocate but wrongly assumed they were fully booked. So to sum it all up people there are far superior restaurants in Noosa eg. Rickys, Gusto, Season, Sails, Bistro C which offer superb food, with fabulous views, a wonderful atmosphere at a similar price.point. I think they'll get the tourists but not repeat business from the locals.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
KuruFive, Guest Relations Manager at Noosa Beach House, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on your experience dining at Noosa Beach House. Especially in these early days of the restaurant opening, we value feedback from our guests and very much appreciate you taking the time to do so.
I'm glad to see you enjoyed the atmosphere and renovation of the bar area. Your input on the comfort of seating where you dined in the restaurant from a guests perspective is welcome to know so we can make amendments. Unfortunately designers don't always consider the comfort of patrons or practicality, and it always takes a while in a new restaurant to identify and correct any design faults. We already have engineers looking at air-flow. We are happy to move guests to a preferred available seating arrangement.
Our spiced popcorn is simply a complimentary item for guests to nibble whilst perusing the menu with their pre-dinner drinks. I'm glad you enjoyed the snapper curry and it is local honeycomb as a garnish on the lime tart.
Your comments have been passed onto staff and management for review as we continue to fine tune our menu and restaurant experience in these first few months. We hope that you will visit us again as we grow into our new space.

Noosa, Australia
“Full of promise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were fortunate to be part of a trial run of Peter Kuruvita's new enterprise in the refurbished Noosa Sheration Resort and Spa. His food concept and style of menu holds much promise and impressed us. Our two guests are foodies with signifiant wine backgrounds.

We decided to share a selection of choices from the menu and were not disappointed with three different cooking styles of huge mud-crab taking the prize for the night. The tasting selection of chocolate deserts was wonderful.

Staff were still learning about the menu and have lots to talk to you about where it is sourced, preparation and final taste objectives.

We will return in a few weeks to see if we can mark this new venture 'excellent'.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
KuruFive, Guest Relations Manager at Noosa Beach House, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for joining us to experience Noosa Beach House in it's very first week. We appreciate you letting us know your thoughts. Guest feedback is very important to us in these early days as we fine tune our menu and systems. Our team has worked hard while Peter finishes off filming in Mexico for SBS and we are looking forward to having him back here in July. We hope to see you again as we continue to progress.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband & I had been recommended to visit this newly opened restaurant in Noosa. We have travelled the world & love good quality food. Unfortunately my meal was a disappointment. Entrée & main were only half decent. The meal was saved by the pastry chef & a fabulous dessert.
Service & wine selection was very good.
Unfortunely I will not be referring this to my foodie friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
KuruFive, Guest Relations Manager at Noosa Beach House, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. Particularly in these first couple months of opening the restaurant, we are keen to learn and improve from our guests feedback.
Your comments are appreciated as we continue to fine tune our menu and Noosa Beach House experience. I do hope you will come and dine with us again to see where our journey takes us.
Brisbane, Australia
“The Beautiful Beach House.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Decided to visit this new restaurant on a quiet Monday night in Noosa. We were warmly welcomed and decided to have a cocktail at the bar. I had a Lychee Martini which was absolutely delicious and my husband had an Old Fashioned. There were 6 or 7 occupied tables in the restaurant and 3 floor staff who all made an appearance at our table at some stage throughout the evening.
Spiced popcorn arrived as an amuse..it was warm and moreish and we ate it all as we perused the menu a glass of Pinot Noir in hand.
Our waiter was on the money, knew all the specials and could even explain the cheese selection when I asked early as I usually have to decide between and entree or cheese at the end...does anyone else think portion sizes are waaaay too big these days????
Anyway I ordered the seafood selection as an entree - a Large prawn, a crab roll, a scallop and some sashimi. Super fresh seafood, immaculately presented,each served with a different contrasting flavour. It was a perfect way to start.
I ordered the snapper curry for mains - a nod to Peter Kuravita who clearly knows his spices - this was fragrant and delicious. Not a "bowl" of curry, a fillet of snapper on the plate and the curry and condiments / rice served seperately.
Dessert was an outstanding lemon tart. Beautiful short pastry and a not too sweet lemony filling.
Service throughout was good - its early days - and we had to ask for our wine glasses to be refilled on one occasion when the wine was placed on a sideboard but the staff were all unfailingly bright and lovely and this added to the experience.
This has all the makings of a great restaurant. A fabulous space, excellent food and professional service. I cant wait to go there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
KuruFive, Guest Relations Manager at Noosa Beach House, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to outline in such detail your experience at Noosa Beach House. We are very happy that you enjoyed everything and appreciate you letting us and other diners know. We hope to see you again soon!
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic start after re opening post renovation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This great new restaurant opened last weekend. Tried to get in on Saturday night, but it was fully booked. Went on Sunday night and had a fabulous meal. The seafood tapas starter was devine and the reef fish main was equally good. The service was first rate, so much so that we went back two nights later. The restaurant also has a nice bar that opens onto Hastings Street. This place has set the bar high and should force some of the other restaurants in Noosa to sharpen up their act.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
KuruFive, Guest Relations Manager at Noosa Beach House, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hi Muchtravelled64,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post our 1st ever review! It is wonderful for our kitchen and floor staff to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to see you again soon.