“it could have been better” 2 of 5 stars

Halse Lodge Guesthouse YHA
2 Halse Lane, Noosa, Queensland 4567, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 21 Noosa B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“it could have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

It is a very simple accommodation...the room was smelly and the toilets were awfully dirty (mainly becaus of the dirty guests)... we also had a bad experience because of a group of guests.. we just stayed there for 2 nights only but in the first we witnessed a show from some young backpacker that really annoyed basically all the guests...anyway, things like that happens... I wouldn't stay there anymore

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Halse lodge for 3 nights with a friend in January. We had such a great time we wished we could of stayed longer and worked for our accommodation. It's in a great location next to the beach and the national park and is surrounded by trees so feels private. It was very clean with great facility's and lovely staff. It was has a great bar to go to in the evenings with a great atmosphere. The place to stay in Noosa.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Not a bad word to say about the hostel itself. It's in a fantastic location just 2 minutes from the beach and Hastings Street, it's clean, comfortable, well decorated, has good facilities and gives you free wine on the first night. There is a bar / restaurant which is meant to be part of the hostel but it's more for the locals. The food is a little bit pricy for a backpacker. They do a $10 pasta special every night which for some reason they don't advertise. If you ask for it they will give it to you though as long as you are a resident. There are rooms right above the bar area and it doesn't shut until midnight, so this may bother some people as it can get really loud. However for me I am a heavy sleeper so I didn't mind. The 2 things that let it down slightly for me was 1 member of staff and the fact they turn off the lights and the fans during the day. When I have paid $40 a night I at least expect the fan to be turned on when I come in sweating during the day. I know it's probably for a good cause but I don't think it's really fair or suitable to do in a hostel in a very hot place in Australia where there is no air conditioning and no swimming pool. Regarding the staff, I must stress they were all wonderful. I even got given an ice pop when I arrived because it was so hot. What bothered me was that I wanted to extend my stay to a week from 3 days and I could except for 1 night which was full. I was told to keep going back and ask which I did and kept being told it was full. I explained how much I wanted to stay and asked that they left a note for eachother to say if there were any cancellations I would get the bed. Unfortunately the morning I was due to check out another boy in my room casually wandered downstairs and enquired about staying an extra night and he was given the only bed that became available. When I questioned it I didn't get so much as a sorry! This same member of staff then shouted at me across the reception / bar area because I was 10 minutes late checking out. I had my hands full of bags and was looking for somewhere to put them down before giving her the key. Anyone would have thought I had committed a crime. There was absolutely no need to talk to me the way she did! I still went away and came back the next day to stay out the rest of the week because I liked this hostel and the other staff so much. I believe they have also recently won an award which I feel is well deserved. Highly recommended hostel, not like any other YHA.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Halse Lodge.
We stayed in the 16 bed rainforest room.

Positives....
Spacious rooms.
Clean rooms.
Great location close to beach.
Large TV room.
Modern looking.
Pretty looking outside eating area/bar
Comfy beds.
Free surf board/body board.
Great views from the rain forest room - didn't feel like a 16 bed dorm lots of outdoor space with a large surrounding balcony and seating.

Negatives.
Bedding -The sheets were changed but on top of the sheets there was an extra blanket which didn't get changed between guests. I watched the cleaner pick it up, fold it and put it back on the bed. I asked reception do they get changed she replied "regularly" but to me that didn't mean between every guest.
Bathrooms - bins overflowed regularly dirty floors.
Kitchen - was nice but not very well equipped with cutlery, utensils etc
Food - very expensive menu for a backpacker!
Staff - a few patronising comments were made by one lady but overall staff were helpful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel was located right in he perfect spot, close enough to town but far enough out. They offer a free shuttle noosa junction for meeting and buses. The manager was very helpful when I was trying to book some tours and gave plenty advice on what I do, she also helped me to book tours for further on in my trip. They have a insure restaurant and the food is delicious, however they don't advertise that they do a bowl of pasta for $10 got backpackers.

The only downside to this hostel is that it does not have any air conditioning only a ceiling fan and there was only 2 power points in my 4 bed dorm.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

YHA Halse Lodge is a lovely hostel in a beautiful facility. Staff was great and helpful. Rooms were neat but small. It's very close to the beach and shops and restaurants. Would def recommend it to all backpackers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were kind of stranded, when we arrived at the Halse Lodge in Noosa. There was a missunderstanding with our Fraser Day Trip and we ended up being in Noosa instead of Rainbow Beach, where we had booked a room and all our private stuff was stored there.

Jess gave us 2 beds in the 16-bed dorm and took care of us so lovely and helpful we hadn't experienced before in Australia. She even provided us with tooth brushes, shower gel and a towel and made our surprised night in Noosa very special. When we sat on the beautiful terrace and enjoyed our dinner (which was also very good), we would loved to spend more days in this beautiful hostel. Even the 16-bed dorm was more comfortable to sleep in than quite some doubles we had booked in other hostels.
Overall, we could only highly recommend this place and like to thank Jess again, for being just great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Halse Lodge Guesthouse YHA? Share your experiences!