“Here I am at Camp Grenada” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Karri Valley Resort

You added Karri Valley Resort to your Saves list
Karri Valley Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Vasse Highway, Pemberton, Western Australia 6260, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pemberton
Leighton Buzzard
“Here I am at Camp Grenada”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Arriving at Karri Valley Resort was a terrible shock after two days at the lovely Cape Lodge at Yallingup. First let me say that the staff are friendly and helpful, however, everything else is dispiriting in the extreme, like a post WW2 school summer camp. Our quarters in a row of wooden cabins over the water were lodged somewhere in the 1950s and I was speechless at the state of things. A tiny shower had a plastic curtain and old white tiles with dirty grouting. The brown leatherette armchair was so worn out there was no covering on the arms at all and the stuffing showed through. No kitchen sink in the kitchen but a bathroom sink, a fridge with a broken foot that was so unstable it spilled our bottles on to the brown tiled floor. What had been a wardrobe had its front ripped off and a cheap kitchen cabinet built under it, so half the hangers were useless. The path to the hut was full of potholes and rotten wood steps over which I tripped and fell. I kid you not, and I have the photographs to prove it. Breakfast - buffet at weekends only, (mercifully) was a bit congealed. No pool but you can swim in the lake if you want to risk it. Everything here is done on a shoestring, a terrible shame given the potential of the site. It needs a serious update and a lot of investment. You want a DVD - 5 bucks please, and you will because there are only 3 tv channels, no internet and little to do after dark. Everything from a newspaper to a kiddies' event is charged for. Yes, I did leave feedback and my travel agent gets a rocket for sending me here.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Great South WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Location of the resort is excellent but the rooms are very old and dirty. Challets are outdated and appeared to be from the 60's or 70's.
Sorry guys this was our first and last stay unless some serious renovations are made.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had a two night stay in a lakeside room and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The room had been revamped and was lovely. Ensuite and kitchen area was beautifully tiled and clean. Our room was spacious with lovely decor. A lovely balcony with 2 chairs and table to enjoy a drink overlooking the lake. We were welcomed and everything was explained. A great set out with plenty of privacy. My only complaint was that we could hear the man snoring next door lol, but that is no fault of the resort. We loved it and would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that is on single level, not with rooms above. We had no 6 and it was great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockingham, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

we stayed here last year some time for my partners birthday, if i was to stay again i'd try the slef contained chalets cause the lakeside room was too noisy although the view was spectacular.

Pros: Room and linen was clean.View was great altough a privacy screen from the neighbours wouldnt go astray. Had the birds out on the balcony trying to pinch our biscuits haha.The trail that goes around the lake was great fun for us and the waterfall was beautiful (I'd say you'd have to be reasonably fit, and wear the right shoes!). The weekend breakfast at the restaurant was delicious and fresh.

Cons: We could here the people above us talking, moving their chairs ect.. which put a bit of a damper on the mood. The dinner at the restaurant was horrible and terribly overpriced!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Karratha, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Well they must be making a dollar from this resort as it hasn't changed in 25 years! More than a little tired now,we stayed in a lakeview room, shower while hot, you have to run around under to get wet. 3/10
No heating in the room and 6 degrees outside = cold!
Restaurant food was good, wine list cheap not for the wine price but the lower end of the market so don't expect much. What saves this 1980's horror movie resort is the view! Simply Stunning!
And my partner hand fed cockatoo's from the balcony. Pack warm, one night + dinner for two not much change from $400 "Overpriced"

Room Tip: Book the lakeview rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

It is still a fabulous spot, we have been going there for many years but.....
Badly in need of maintainence, the chair in our room needed throwing out, TV reception poor, the wall socket was falling out.
Minimal bathroom amenities, the roon wasn't vacuumed on our second day.
We Had two entrees in the resturant,terrible they sounded great, but the Aoili tasted like commercial jar mayonaise & the light Thai Dressing was very close to Sweet & Sour Sauce.
Very sad to see how poor it has become, it is now 3 star motel, with 5 star hotel prices.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockingham, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had never been to Karri Valley Resort before but my partner had. He cautioned that 9 years ago (!!) the restaurant had been quite average and overpriced.

Nine years later, his comment was "nothing has changed".

The location was absolutely glorious, make no mistake. The walking trails were great, and it was wonderful to have plenty of activity options available - we were lucky to have clear warm weather for our stay so we could take the opportunity to use the activites (e.g., mini golf, fishing, etc.).

However, people who do not stay at the resort can also utilise these, and frankly the view was not worth what I paid for our stay given the lack of attention to details in terms of the service received.

We discovered on arrival that there was less than 1/2 a roll of toilet paper available, and no spare roll. We then discovered that the toilet does not flush properly.

In the next few minutes we discovered that there was only one microscopic set of shampoo/conditioner supplied (for a package for two people!!) and this was not replenished during our two night/three day stay.

Opening the drawer to the kitchenette, we discovered one large wine glass (red) and one smaller wine glass (white). No sharp knife, no chopping board, no serving plate. I called reception to ask for another of each wine glass please and a sharp knife - no problem but can you come to reception to get them?

I was not bothered about doing this except I paid for a "Resort", not a "motel". Where is the service?

My partner discovered there were only standard analogue channels on the tube-style TV (no flatscreen, no Foxtel, no DVD channel) and the remote didn't work properly. Again, this is supposed to be a "Resort"!! AND we did pay for the "expensive" rooms by being Lakeside and not in a chalet.

I went to reception for the glasses and knife, they then presented me with two large (red) wine glasses, saying they don't have any smaller (white) glasses. The receptionist did produce a champagne flute and asked if that's what I needed. I said "no, that's a champagne flute".

We booked in to the restaurant that night (with our $60 voucher) and were told that it was "booked out" until 8pm. We arrived at the restaurant about 15 minutes early and it was very clearly not "booked out". We didn't mind the later booking, but it was evidently rubbish that we weren't able to get a seat before this time, so why say that?

The meals were very, very average and extremely overpriced. My kangaroo was bland, no marinade or preparation, with two limp bits of overcooked bok choy draped over a disorganised pile of boiled rice. I also discovered a random dribble of sweet chilli sauce (bottled brand) against one side of the rice.

My partner ordered the smoked trout fettucini - his was very salty making him believe that the trout was the canned variety, and it was hot in some places and cold in other places. He said he thought it had been premade, thrown on to the plate and then into the microwave just prior to serving.

It was pretty apparent that the meals were premade as both of our dishes appeared no more than about 10 minutes after we ordered - impossible if they were made fresh.

There were also no options with a good serving of vegetables - the only way to get a balanced meal was to order vegetables as a side dish and at extra cost. Overall the restaurant experience was very poor.

The next morning we discovered there is no door handle sign to indicate whether you want the room made up, so I asked at reception, having learned that I could not take this for granted and might have to make a "special request". To my astonishment and relief, I was told it is part of their standard service.

We then went to breakfast, to discover that the continental breakfast does not include any cooked foods except toast - but they would happily charge us extra for the privilege of their "American breakfast upgrade".

The next suprise for me was that this "resort" does not cater for alternative dietary needs. I asked if they have soy milk and after the waitress checked in the kitchen, she returned to say "sorry, we put the order in a week ago and it hasn't come through yet".

I'm sorry, but Pemberton is not the back of nowhere anymore and soy milk is not some "exotic weird hippy thing" these days. Not only that, but Pemberton itself is 20 minutes drive from the "resort" so why did no-one go down to the IGA in Pemberton at some time between the order (a week ago!!) and that day to at least get 1 litre of soy milk (assuming demand for it is low)??

I was very frustrated about the whole breakfast experience by this time, having travelled throughout Europe and had many versions of "continental breakfast" with none being as scanty as this particular (and again overpriced) version.

As mentioned, when we came back to our room in the afternoon after a lovely day in Pemberton, we discovered that we apparently hadn't sufficiently exhausted our single 15mL supply of shampoo so this was not replenished. Thankfully the toilet paper had been replaced as we were down to a couple of sheets when we left that morning.

We had dinner at the Pemberton Pub that night - the smoked trout was absolutely devine, and came with the salad bar and a side serve of hearty beer battered chips or mash, for only $24!! This just made it more apparent that the Karri Valley Resort's restaurant was well below par and extremely overpriced.

Overall, my partner and I had a really relaxing and wonderful stay in Pemberton, and the "resort" accommodation was in a beautiful setting. We had delightful contact with the very cheeky local wildlife that is quite partial to cheese and crackers, and the room itself was clean and adequately furnished.

However, the views are not worth the price of the rooms. The "nature" element of Karri Valley Resort is already there, the resort owners do not do anything to make that happen. You can visit Lake Beedelup as a day visitor, walk the trails, use the activities, fish in the lake and still have the same experience that we had, for half the price and much better service elsewhere.

I would strongly encourge people not to waste their money on this resort unless reviews on tripadvisor tell you that they have stepped up to the mark of a "resort" - at the moment this place is marginally one step better than a motel (in fact, I have stayed at motels that are better equipped and serviced).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple