“A reasonably priced weekend getaway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atrium Resort Mandurah

You added Atrium Resort Mandurah to your Saves list
Atrium Resort Mandurah
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Ormsby Terrace, Mandurah, Western Australia 6210, Australia   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mandurah
Perth, Australia
“A reasonably priced weekend getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Great location as it is close to the marina, the town centre, and also the coffee shop precinct. The pool is good (although over-chlorinated during our visit), the area around the bar and restaurant makes for a comfy place to sit whilst drinking a coffee from the bar.
The rooms are tired but comfy. We shared a 2 bedroom self-contained apartment, just what we needed for our long weekend getaway with friends. Our apartment had ocean views and was very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on corner of 5th floor (quiet), on ocean side.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
General_Manager2014, General Manager at Atrium Resort Mandurah, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Helen,
Thank you for taking time to post a response and our Team is glad that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our pool is automatically chlorinated and manually tested three times per day so I will follow up your comments with our Maintenance Team to ensure we don't have an underlying problem.
Thanks again for your comments and we hope that you and your family or friends are able to visit us again soon.
Hazel Blackmore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cranbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had a night in March 2014. On our way back to Melbourne. Accommodation was really comfortable. Bar was cosy and the swimming pool was great way to unwind and relax. The daughter loved it so we got to spend quality time whilst Mum chilled in the room

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our indoor heated pool is a great way to unwind especially now we are into our cooler months. I will relay your kind remarks to all our staff and hope to see you and your family again in the future
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

If you are looking for a stylish boutique hotel, this place is not for you. The rooms are plain and dated BUT the pool and spa area is simply fabulous!
This is the perfect place for a quick weekend getaway from Perth. My daughter and I spent hours just playing in the pool and spa.
The staff are friendly and the location is great for exploring mandurah by foot.
Will certainly stay here again

Stayed May 2014
General_Manager2014, General Manager at Atrium Resort Mandurah, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your great feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you had such a good time playing in the pool! Our heated pool area is great for families especially in winter.
We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back
Duns, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel is good rather than very good. It is in a good location to base yourself for getting about Mandurah. The room was clean and tidy, towels and linen changed when asked, bed was comfortable and the price was reasonable.The indoor pool and leisure facilities were pretty good
It is very close to the marina and eating places and coffee shops. The staff were very helpful.
The only downside was the reception and some public areas was a bit tired and needed a face-lift.
John M

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room if you can afford it, it is well worth the small difference.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
General_Manager2014, General Manager at Atrium Resort Mandurah, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hi John,
Our Team are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The property celebrated it's 30th birthday last year and like us all, it is beginning to show some wrinkles! As you may have noticed during your stay we are in the process of beginning to upgrade the facilities and this will continue throughout 2014.
We hope you have the opportunity to stay with us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Positives
~ great hotel to bring kids too.
~on the first night service in the restaurant was great, fast, friendly, although the food was average.
~everything in the restaurant is clean.
~ great restaurant to eat with kids, you can either sit pool side or further into the restaurant for a more formal feel.
~reception is friendly and efficient.
~pool is heated and looks well maintained.
~if you use your imagination you can see that this hotel would have been amazing back in it's day. It's just aged...as we all do :)

Negatives
~ incredibly noisy until 10pm when the pool closes.
~ on entering one of the bedrooms in our deluxe twin room, I moved one of the single beds and discovered a half eaten lolly and a dead cockroach! The rest of the room was immaculate- the cleaner just didn't vacuum or look under the bed.
~from the outside the hotel looks a bit bland. On arrival I was disappointed. Inside the decor is outdated, but clean.
~the balcony is small and has a large puddle of water that I think is from the air-con from the room above, as it hasn't been raining.
~no pretty views from any window or balcony. Just rooftops & old car parks.
~ I witnessed 2 couples today who were told to take their passion to their room, after they were kissing in the spa. Don't come here for a romantic weekend :) Although I think it was fair given there were kids swimming in the pool. This hotel would be my last choice for a romantic getaway.
~ on our second night the service in the restaurant was awful! I sat for 15-20 minutes while staff walked past me without acknowledging me at all. This was after I asked for a menu- you would think that would indicate I was planning to eat. When I finally got the attention of a waitress I said 'Excuse me, is there any reason I haven't been served?' Her response 'Sorry I didn't realize you had been seated' umm I was sitting in a restaurant with a menu... Even after this, I didn't receive any further service and again had to approach the bar to ask for cutlery, napkins, glasses and a bottle of water. After eating a pizza with my family I decided to order a desert pizza as there is a few on the pizza menu. Again, ignored by staff, I had to approach the bar. I was told by staff that my order could not be taken for another 30 minutes. Not impressed, I approached another staff member and asked her if that sounded right to her. I was informed that in fact there are no dessert pizza's available and that she thought the menu had been changed. By this stage I'd had enough and decided to take my kids out to get ice-cream instead. While this was going on I witnessed 2 different families who were also guests at the hotel being told their meals would be delayed 30 mins or more due to a function. The function looked to be about 15 people in an otherwise quiet restaurant. (2 other family's and my family). A well established and well functioning restaurant should be able to cope better with those numbers in my opinion.
~ Some staff are rude in the restaurant. 'Walk ins' seem to get priority over hotel guests.
~buffet breakfast is way over priced in my opinion.

Overall if you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed. I did find this a great hotel for kids of all ages as the pool is open until 10pm and the tv in the room comes with the Disney and Disney Junior channels for younger ones at no extra charge.

• Stayed April 2014
General_Manager2014, General Manager at Atrium Resort Mandurah, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a review; our guest comments are always welcome and are used to help us improve our service to you.
While we welcome all different types of guests our focus, as you mentioned is children. The heated indoor pool is a great draw card all year round and we will be developing further activities and entertainment for children in the near future.
I have also addressed your comments on food service with the relevant staff and management and apologise for any confusion.
Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Atrium in the not too distant future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My family and I have been going to the Atrium for several years and it has progressively gone downhill, now to the point we will never stay there again. We were there in Feb 2014 for the last time. We hired out a 2 bdrm family suite and invited my husbands whole family (14 of us in total) to come and stay. All of us had rooms on the same weekend, all but one of the room was unacceptable.

We were first quite disappointed to find out the outside pool had been closed down (permanently). We were later told this was on the website which we had not checked before coming to Mandurah for the weekend. Obviously that was our fault, so I dont' blame the hotel for that. It was just disappointing.

On our arrival when we checked into the room, we notice our 3 bedroom suite had 2 balconies, to which only two chairs on one of them. We called down and asked for more chairs and we were told to move one of the chairs to the other balcony! What? We were advised there were no more chairs in the hotel. We will come back to that in a minute though.

The air conditioner either wasn't strong enough to cool the entire 3 bdrm suite or wasn't working properly. We asked for a fan to be brought up and we just dealt with it.

The next morning our toilet quit working.

We anticipated the kids enjoying the pool while we used the barbecue facilities to cook and enjoy a summer barbecue together as a family. As you can imagine, it’s quite expensive to get the whole family together for a meal at a restaurant so we were hoping to avoid that if possible. On Saturday we were told we could use the barbecue facilities outside (for a total of 10 chairs for the 14 of us – and what happened to no more chairs in the hotel??) out near the pool. The pool looked atrocious so there was no way we were prepared to cook a meal next to a disgusting pool. The other option being that we cart all of our things to the nearest park (still a good distance considering my husband’s parents are 78 and 82 years old). This would defeat the purpose of us all making a trip to Mandurah, as Perth has plenty of parks around.

So the whole family decided to congregate into our 3 bedroom suite, as we had the largest room. Things went downhill from there. There were scarcely enough cook pans and utensils but we made due – until the stove quit working, the fridge and electrical outlets quit working and to top it all off, the electrical box started crackling and sparking and the air conditioner started leaking water onto the floor.

Now I am a very reasonable person. I paid well over $500 to stay there for 2 nights, I didn't kick up a fuss, I asked to speak to the manager as we were checking out the next morning, I was told he was unavailable but would call us later in the day.

No phone call.... I waited 2 days, then called the hotel. I was given his email address, so I set an email. No reply. I sent a follow up email, got a very short reply saying thanks for giving us the opportunity to make resolve this issue, they were looking into it further and would come back to us the following day. No follow up. Three days passed, finally get a phone call to say they were eager to resolve but needed to clear it through the GM and would call us on Tuesday (this was a Saturday night). No call Tuesday. We went on holiday overseas on Thursday for 3 1/2 weeks, no messages, no emails, no resolution. When we returned, I sent 2 follow up emails asking if anything was going to be done or if they would even reply apoligise or anything...nothing happened.

Needless to say I would highly discourage anyone from staying here at this hotel. Not only is the place unsafe and outdated, but management have no desire to resolve issues that arise, no intention trying to keep loyal customers happy. I find it really hard to believe a htoel in this state, with appauling customer service can continue to operate for any length of time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Amy,
Thank you for posting your comments, however I do believe these have been addressed since you posted them. Unfortunately I had a sudden death in the family and had to return to the UK, as such my Assistant Manager was waiting on my return .
We have addressed the maintenance issues which you raised but unfortunately as explained during your stay, the outside pool and BBQ facilities are not owned by the Hotel. The agreement we had in place to allow guests to use these facilities became null and void last year when those owners went into liquidation. We do not advertise these facilities in any medium and have erected a fence to avoid any guest confusion in the future.
We always appreciate your business and for choosing to stay with us and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

First time staying at the Atrium but it won't be my last, staff very freindly and helpful. Overall the property is a little run down but this rooms were cean, pool area great and resturant food was great in taste and value.
Well done see you next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
General_Manager2014, General Manager at Atrium Resort Mandurah, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you Jason for your kind comments and we are pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to the Atrium Resort. Although the property is over 30 years old we pride ourselves in providing good, clean, affordable accommodation alongside excellent customer service. We have established a renovation programme recently which will be continued in coming months and should result in an even better product for the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Atrium on your next visit.
Hazel Blackmore

Been to Atrium Resort Mandurah? Share your experiences!