“Good hotel with a view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sebel Mandurah

You added The Sebel Mandurah to your Saves list
The Sebel Mandurah
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Marco Polo Drive, Mandurah, Western Australia 6210, Australia   |
Special Price
Stay 2 and Save 10%
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mandurah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Switzerland
“Good hotel with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for four nights. The rooms are spacious and have all the amenities you need. Breakfast at the M-point was good and you have a choice of three menues. The service here was excellent. We did not go to the swimming pool. Only minus factor was the kitchen smell on the corridor which, however, did not seep into the rooms, so that was not a big problem. We find the price of internet in the room quite high when compared to European charges (mostly free of charge). It is free of charge in the reception area. The staff were all pleasant and cheerful.
All in all a pleasant stay at a lovely place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Ursula P,

Thank you very much for you review on The Sebel Mandurah; I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your 4-day stay with us.

As a group, Accor are currently reviewing our internet packages and this should hopefully provide guests with a fantastic offering. Until then, we will continue to provide free internet in the lobby area.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

The Sebel Mandurah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

As my partner’s Christmas gift to me, we stayed at The Sebel, Mandurah from 29th December to 2nd January, or for 5 days/4 nights. She wanted me to see the New Year’s Eve fireworks from the balcony of our waterfront room.

Though we paid an average of $350 per day ($300 for the first 2 nights and $385 for 31st Dec and 1st Jan), for a supposed 4.5 star hotel, customer service was lacking and housekeeping standards were even lower than a shabby backpacker’s hostel. Our experience was so disappointing and aggravating that writing this and reminiscing about our trip makes my blood pressure go up, which my doctor definitely would not be happy about.

Day 1 – 29th Jan – Saturday: Our room on the 3rd floor smelt of second-hand smoke. Only one side of the glass doors to the balcony could be opened. So we went down to reception and told the Assistant Manager that the glass doors would not open properly. She said it was normal that it could only be partially opened. Then we asked about the breakfast included in our stay and she said to just go down at the M or the restaurant. Note: we did not complain about tiny details like the toilet rolls were both half-used and the bath tub had bits of hair. We cleaned the bath tub ourselves as we’d like to do each time we stayed in a hotel.

Day 2 – 30th Jan – Sunday: We were at the restaurant for breakfast and the Duty Manager asked for our vouchers. What vouchers indeed! Thank god that the restaurant is separately owned because they have better customer service. I told the Duty Manager that the hotel’s Assistant Manager did not give us any and I would get the vouchers myself, but she said not to worry and she’d organise it herself, which she did. It escapes us up to now how the Assistant Manager did not tell us about the breakfast vouchers twice – when she checked us in and when we asked her how to go about breakfast.

After breakfast, we went out and when we got back late in the afternoon, lo and behold – a $300/day room was not vacuumed at all. Food pieces from our dinner the night before were left all over the carpet floor in the living area. The rubbish left on the table in the living area near the little bin was not removed. Same with the rubbish in the bathroom and the hair and mess left in the bathroom sink. Bedsheets were not changed as it had the same stain as the day before. Looked like only the towels were changed.

So we tried to call the reception and no answer. We went down at the reception and it was unattended. I told my partner that it might be better if we just got our money back since it was obvious that customer service and housekeeping were appalling, but she said that she really wanted me to see the fireworks on New Year’s Eve from our balcony (after all, she booked the hotel room 3 months in advance) and that we’d just talk to the Assistant Manager the next day.

Day 3 – 31st Jan – Monday: Once again, we put up the sign “Please make up our room”. This was a busy day for us when we left early and got back in the afternoon. For a $385 room, floor was not vacuumed again, dirty glasses were still on the kitchen bench, bedsheets were still stained, hair was piling up on the bathroom floors, bathtub was not cleaned, same with the balcony, and dust was piling up on the benchtops.

We went down at the reception and complained at the Assistant Manager who said she’d speak to housekeeping. Trusting her, we went out for lunch. When we got back, we saw her on the 3rd floor and all she said was “Hello, how are you?” and then went down the lift. This was the same Assistant Manager whom we spoke about our complaint just a few hours back. I looked at my partner in confusion and opened the door to our room and lo and behold – it was exactly the same mess as we had left it, as it had been the past 2.5 days. I picked up the phone and told the Assistant Manager to bring the vacuum cleaner and I would vacuum and clean the room myself.

She reasoned out that the room was not cleaned because the Housekeeping Supervisor said that the room looked okay, i.e., it did not look like it needed cleaning. I had to compose myself from getting so mad at the lacking standard of this supposed 4.5 stars Accor hotel because I did not want to ruin my New Year’s Eve with my partner. I insisted again that we were not going to have a filthy hotel room for New Year’s Eve and that she better bring the vacuum cleaner because if no one else in the hotel would do it, then I would do it myself.

Eventually the Assistant Manager came into the room with the vacuum cleaner and did the vacuuming herself, with neither a single smile on her face nor an apology. When my partner requested that the benchtops and tables be dusted, too, I thought the Assistant Manager would erupt like a volcano. The impression that we got from her cleaning was that we were the kind of guests which she did not want, the ones who asked too much. I don’t think she ever thought that we also paid too much.

To top it off, we didn’t see the fireworks from our balcony. Rushing back from dinner and much to our disappointment, we missed the 9PM fireworks and wondered where it was. We eventually found a view from another side of the foreshore, away from the hotel, for the 12 midnight fireworks.

Day 4 – 1st Jan – Tuesday: The carpet and tiles still looked clean from the vacuuming the night before, including the benchtops. Only problem was the toilet paper rolls missing. Yes, there was no toilet paper in the room. Housekeeping forgot to replace the tissue paper rolls.

Worse, when we tried to ring twice for tissue paper rolls, our calls were neither answered nor returned. Figure it out: the Assistant Manager was at the reception when we got back; it only took a minute to go up to our room on the 3rd floor via the lift; I went to the toilet and found no toilet paper rolls; so I quickly grabbed the phone and no answer. Tried again, and there was still no answer. Our calls were not returned either. We had to use the facial tissue paper instead, fell asleep, and got the male Night Front Desk Manager to bring up the tissue paper rolls.

The impression we got was that cleaning was so rushed. Moreover, there was no housekeeping at night. It was the Night Front Desk Manager who gave us the missing toilet rolls and our call to housekeeping went straight to reception. We were sure that to ask for our sheets to be changed would be futile.

Day 5 – 2nd Jan – Wednesday: The hotel staff had to make one last rude act to make them the more memorable and totally unforgettable. My partner just had to use the toilet and at around 11:10AM, someone was banging their fist at the door, then opened it. It was housekeeping. I was waiting at the lobby at this point in time, and eventually lost my cool when my partner told me about the incident.

I had a word with the Front Desk Manager, who said that it is not their policy to clean rooms, but agreed with me that if we had to pay an average of $350 for the room per day, for a 4.5 star hotel, then it is normal to expect that the room would be cleaned every day. As to the rudeness of the staff banging their fist on the door, not a single apology was given.

In contrast, though we found the breakfast service at The M restaurant very slow (we had to wait for almost an hour on New Year's Day and at least 20 to 30 minutes on the other days), the duty manager and staff always informed us of the wait beforehand and apologised. This we had truly appreciated.

Our Sebel Mandurah stay has taught us, indeed, a most important lesson. As much as we would like to support the local economy, we would not be stupid enough to do so again. Establishments such as The Sebel Mandurah need to clean up their act (no pun intended). Charging unbelievable prices for star-ratings that they cannot live up to, with housekeeping standards and customer service so low, is a form of extortion.

As much as this experience has continually raised my high blood pressure, I believe this is worth taking to the ACCC or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. And finally, I have also convinced my partner to fly overseas for a much better holiday. As much as we’d like to support local businesses and hence, local employment, our experience at The Sebel Mandurah has proven that it is just not worth it.

Dear Mel P,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay with us at The Sebel Mandurah over the 29th December 2012 to 2nd January 2013.

As a hotelier it is always disappointing to read comments from a guest that did not receive an memorable experience that we so tirelessly strive to achieve for all of our guests. For this I truly apologise. It is unfortunately that during your time with us that I was not contacted or informed of these recurring issues so that I could have interjected and help turn around your experience from day 1.

I have since briefed our Executive Housekeeper on your feedback relating to the room upon arrival and the standard of servicing during your stay so that he may in turn reiterate to the team on the standards expected.

Without knowing your booking details I cannot further investigate whether or not your reservation included breakfast, as this is only reason when we issue breakfast vouchers. Should a team member not present vouchers this would mean that breakfast was not included in the room rate, which may have been the situation with your booking and the reason why the Assistant Manager did not mention vouchers to you.

I have discussed the absence of the Guest Service Agent on reception with our Front Office Manager. At times, they may need to assist a guest with something urgent but place a sign up on the desk advising guests that they should be back shortly. We also place a direct-dial telephone so that guests can talk directly to the Manager on Duty. I am sorry that both of these were not displayed when you attended the reception desk.

Communication is of paramount importance within a hotel and it is evident that this broke down between Front Office and Housekeeping. Such requests should be actioned immediately with our usual Housekeeping Card left in the room to say who cleaned your room as this provides confidence that indeed the request was actioned.

We do certainly apologise for you taking away this experience; once again I am sorry that this was not escalated to me at the time so that you did not have to spend you 5 days at the hotel without a resolution to your main issues raised. Please do trust however that I have listened to your comments and have since actioned accordingly with my management team.

Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the Sebel for 2 night & found it to be a lovely hotel. We had a studio room which wasn't very big but it was all that we needed. The bathroom was really neat & nice. There was only a few things I could pick on & they were the balcony wasn't super clean & had a few spiders & webs & also the toiulet seat was loose - but these are only small issues. The room & bathroom were clean & the bed comfy. It was a very quiet hotel even though it was the long weekend & seemed full. It is in a great location within easy walking distance to restaurants, movies, cafes etc. Hotel rooms had a great outlook over the river or canals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear mcdougall7,

Thank you very much for your review on The Sebel Mandurah whilst you were a guest of ours over the Australia Day long weekend.

I have pleased that you had a great time even with a couple of shortcomings experienced whilst I do apologise for. I will let our Executive Housekeeper know of your feedback on the balcony and toilet seat and so that she is made aware.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed ina studio room with a water views and a balcony. The rooms were clean and very comfotable. We found the hotel very conveniently located with plenty of places to eat close by. The hotel resturant was excellent, the food was good quality and we found the staff to be very friendly. I would recommend a stay in this hotel.

Dear Mike K,

Thank you very much for your kind words on the hotel and M on the Point. It is always pleasing to read comments from guests indicating that they had a lovely stay with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back one day.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Sebel for 2 nights over the Australia Day long weekend. The room was beautiful...having a bath where you could see Mandjar Bay was blissful. The cleanliness was 5 star and the decor tasteful. Even though we had a room above M Bar, there was no noise to bother us during our stay. I would highly recommend the King Water View studio's for a "lost weekend" of luxury.

We will be returning.
Marron and Helen.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Marron and Helen,

Thank you for staying at The Sebel Mandurah over the Australia Day long weekend. It is fantastic to see that you enjoyed the hotel and loved our Studio Deluxe rooms!

Thank you for your feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

we were view lucky enough to spend 4 nights here over the new year. we had a water view suite and when we asked after 2 nights to change to one with a larger balcony, we were accommodated with no problems at all. we found all the staff to be helpful and courteous and nothing was too much trouble.
the room was spacious, clean and modern and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom was large and spotless.
we would stay here again any time and we will do so again soon.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear skinnypete63,

Thank you for your review on The Sebel Mandurah regarding your 4 night stay over New Years. It is always pleasing that to see our guests leave having had such a wonderful time.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Mandurah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed 1 night at the Sebel on a Travelzoo voucher which was a good deal. $159 for a studio king overlooking the estuary, inclusive of breakfast and valet parking and early and late checkout of 12 noon. I wouldn't be able to afford to stay there on the usual price though. We had a great room overlooking the water and we could sit on the balcony and watch the dolphins. We stayed on a Wednesday so the restaurant below M on the Point has half price on that day, so that was a bonus. It's in a perfect location, 5 minute walk to lots of restaurants close by, Cicerello's, Hans, Dome and much more. The bathroom had a huge shower and bath (separate), The actual room was quite large, had an unusual design. Usually the tv is set on a cupboard with your bar fridge etc. underneath the tv, but the tv was on the wall and the cabinet/bar fridge etc was set right to the side as you walked in so the actual bedroom part looked a bit sparse and didn't have a coffee table. Usually there is some kind of small table and maybe 2 chairs to sit on, but this was minor. I was really shocked at the condition of the walls in the entry. I think they use some cheap paint where the walls can't be cleaned, but they were in a terrible conditon, all scuffed. I'm sure with some cleaning the marks would come off, but could be because of the paint. I think the cleaners should move the bed and vacuum under there! The pool area was a little disappointing as there was not 1 tree, plant or greenery around and not 1 umbrella. There were 12 sun lounges and 4 of them were under a shaded decking, the other 8 were in full sun. My husband doesn't like sitting out in the sun, so that was a disadvantage, but it didn't bother me. But a few plants and a few umbrellas would help in the ambience I feel. This is an Accor hotel of which I am a member but the Accor wouldn't give me the price to stay in the hotel for the same price as the Travelzoo deal, which I thought they should match it at least, as you pay approx $299 to join. As an Accor member you do get 50% off your dining but the restaurant had exorbitant prices even with 50% discount, so ate elsewhere for dinner but had lunch and breakfast at M on the Point. which is the bar type version. The breakfast which was included was nice, I think there were 3 choices. Lunch was ok for the half price deal.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath tub, request one of those rooms as they don't all have bathtubs. The view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sebel Mandurah? Share your experiences!