“A WONDERFUL CARE-FREE BREAK” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Beach Resort

You added Abbey Beach Resort to your Saves list
Abbey Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   595 Bussell Hwy., Busselton, Western Australia 6280, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Busselton
Mandurah, Australia
“A WONDERFUL CARE-FREE BREAK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My 5 day break at Abbey Beach was the 3rd time I have visited the resort.
Each time I have discovered more opportunities to explore and enjoy.
The spa room suite equipped with microwave and other basic essentials including
modernLCD flat screen TV -split air con and daily servicing of rooms was appreciated.
Staff at all points of duty were polite and obliging and made us feel most welcome oon all occasions. The pools both indoor and outdoor supported by gym,squash court, sauna and spa were enjoyed and as a bonus the beach was fantastic with soft white sand and excellent swimming conditions. The quiteness of the resort was appreciated also and other patrons I could see were relaxed in their daily activities. Proximity to wineries was also a bonus.
I look forward to my next visit which cannot come fast enough.
David Kindred

Room Tip: Look for a room on the inside of the resort overlooking the pools.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jenny F, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Very little has to be said in reply to your glowing review. You seem to appreciate almost all that we offer here at Abbey Beach Resort - testament is the number of times you returned! Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights in early December as he was doing the WA Ironman. We arrived with a big group however check in was fairly starightforward although the pool towel explanation was a bit confusing. The room itself was pleasant enough albeit a bit dated (what's with the weird bedside light arrangement?). The airconditioning worked fine (unlike some other reviews) and the management were thoughtful to provide a tarpaulin and bag of cleaing rags for my husband's bike. The restaurant/cafe situation was pretty bewildering - sometimes the cafe was open, other times it was closed but the meals were served in the restaurant ???? Strange arrangement - even in the restaurant we had to order coffee at the bar and carry it to the table ourselves as the waitress told us the barman couldn't leave the bar. The meals we had were nice, ingredients were fresh and the cafe staff were friendly and helpful, however the restaurant staff were less so.
The pools were really good, although the spa next to the indoor pool had very few jets working. It's a lovely location being so close to the beach.
The main thng I noticed about the public areas was the lack of atmosphere especially when the bars were closed. It's a huge space and felt a bit like the Marie Celeste at times (someone else mentioned a library, so you get the picture). There were Christmas decorations up but most of the time the Christmas lights were off and it looked rather like a stage set.
Overall the accommodation was good, meals were nice although a bit pricey but the atmosphere needs some work.

Room Tip: The resort has hotel style rooms as well as self contained apartments. As far as I can tell the hot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am sorry that you found various aspects of your stay a bit confusing. We change the times that the cafes and restaurants open according to seasonal patronage and was outlined in the newsletter that we give to each guest, on arrival. I am pleased that you found the food to be fresh and well presented.

On the atmosphere issue, we do not advertise that we provide entertainment for our guests. Most guests are so busy taking in the delights of our grounds, the beach, our pools or are out-and-about in the beautiful Busselton area, that they do not spend very much time within the Atrium area, other than to eat, or have a drink at the bar.

The Christmas decorations are arranged by a contractor and I am sorry that you found them uninspiring.

All this aside, it seems you had a satisfactory few days here and hope you will consider staying with us again, in the near future.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a very disappointing 2 night $710 stay at Abbey Beach Resort recently. Where do I start?? We stayed in a One Bedroom Spa unit which was very tired and in serious need of a fresh make over right throughout. The Air-Conditioning barely worked on both 40 degree days in between the power cuts! I went to reception to make them aware of this and overheard another patron making the same complaint so I naturally thought it was happening right throughout the Complex and it would be actioned so I left it at that. On check out whilst lined up another client was talking to the manager about the air-conditioning and was clearly very forward with their disappointment. Out of respect I thought I would just fill out the review form and respectfully leave it at that but wished I hadn't. We arrived home in Perth to find we had left 5 expensive
business shirts a book and wrapping paper behind and made the call to be told it would cost $25
to have them returned to me so I gave my credit card details and only our shirts arrived to be
collected at the post office with a Cash on pick up charge of $25.06!!!!! I rang Abbey beach to
voice my concerns as $55.06 to have my goods returned was ridiculous and a complete rip-off.
The receptionist said they would put a $25 reversal through in a weeks time, to this day I still
haven't received my book (which they couldn't find?!?) and my wrapping paper that was sent at a
later date still hasn't arrived either. When I mentioned our poor experience over a phone call
chasing my other items up I was told had I mentioned at checkout about the Air Conditioning
problems they would have given me a 10% discount but it was too late now!!! Maybe I shouldn't
have been so respectful at checkout and voiced my concerns like the guests in front of me.
The fridge and stove top was in desperate need of a good scrub, on the staircase to our room on
the second flight of stairs their was a squashed plum that was there from the time we arrived to
the time we left and one would think that would not only be an eye sore but a safety issue too. Really all I can say is Abbey Beach resort is not worth the money and is a very tired and run down complex with a lack of care and concern for the paying guests!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rod_Hughes01, General Manager at Abbey Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
15012013 Dear Guest, Thanks for your comments. I am however disappointed to hear your comments. We certainly do not believe the 1 bed apartments are ‘tired’ as you put it. The airconditioners in all apartments & studios are individual and do not relate to others. No air conditioner will operate effectively on over a period of hot days when doors and windows are left open, so it is incorrect to comment that it ‘barely worked. Yes we did have a couple of guests comment that there airconditioner was not working as effectively as they thought it should however on examination by the maintenance department there was nothing wrong with any of the units, so with constant open and closing of exit doors all airconditioners will struggle. To my knowledge we did not have any poer cuts to the Resort at all. I am aware of a number of suburbs in and around Busselton over the busy period that did in fact lose power, but thankfully we were not one of them, so your comment is incorrect. The fee you were charged was a handling fee not a postage fee this is on top of what Aust post charge. Unfortunately you were the one who left the items behind, not the Resort and you seem to think it is our fault and our cost to return the items? The units are serviced daily and a ‘departure service is performed on each departure which includes the fridge, stoves and stove tops. If you thought they were not up to standard did you report this during your stay with us? The ‘squashed plum’ is interesting as I walk the hotel & Resort daily and I never saw such an ‘eye sore’. I have also gone back through the housekeeping cleaning sheets and there is no mentioned of such an item, so I find this a little hard to believe.
In reading your comments the biggest issue seems to be the lost property? I must again comment that we did not leave the items behind, so to think we should return the items ‘free of charge’ seems unfair on the Resort.
Thanks for your comments which contain valuable information and insights for future guests and help us strive to continue improving our customer service. We do make mistakes at times, but try hard to avoid these errors being made. I am concerned however that reviews such as yours that make untrue, incorrect statements are allowed to be published.
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We requested a 3 night stay and were quoted under $600 - we thought this was reasonable based on the price, so we booked. On checking out we found they had quoted us for two nights only (and at the off-peak rate). As per our email confirmation we expected to pay $600 but on checkout they were going to charge $1350 (3 nights at PEAK RATE), which we negotiated to pay at off- peak rates as it was their mistake. The girl who took our phone booking was clearly incompetent and will no doubt face disciplinary action for the loss incurred.
Pools are clean and the grounds are well maintained. Had one meal at the Cafe which included two adult meals, a child's meal and soft drinks for $75. Good service, typical greasy, cafe type food.
Beds were appauling to the point that my wife and I slept in separate beds and our daughter slept on the couch. Advised the Duty Manager only after checkout as it did not seem possible, nor practical to change out our two beds.
Great location, so close to the beach, and tranquil setting, but if the staff can't organise a simple booking then it really sours the experience.
I don't drink alcohol and I am grateful for this, as Abbey charge like a wounded bull. To set up a mini bar in your room costs $14 'establish fee' and I noted a can of Wild Turkey/Coke costs over $11!! A six pack of VB will set you back almost $50!! Each to their own but Aussies are sick of being ripped off!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thanks for your comments. I am however disappointed to hear your comments. Unfortunately staff did make a mistake and we rectified the issue straight away and apologised for the error made, but to say the telephone reservationist is ‘incompetent’ is extreme. She made an error, which was rectified and the problem was sorted. There was no ‘negotiation’ on your part. The rate you were quoted was what you paid, it was our error and accept this error. We have put in place a further procedure to try and avoid the ‘human error’ factor. Its nice to hear you ate in the café, Im guessing you chose what you ate, so therefore if you chose ‘typically greasy’ café food, I am glad you received what you ordered, otherwise no doubt we would have received a further complaint.
The beds are a hotel commercial grade bed (as most hotel beds are) manufactured by one of the large bed manufacturers. If you had reported a problem with the beds we would have had maintenance attend and if necessary removed and replace, as you did not reporte it we were unable to attend to this matter and resolve it for you.
Your comment regarding VB is untrue and unfair as we do not sell VB, so not sure how you can make this comment.
In regards to being ‘ripped off’, unfortunately minimum hours and wages is the issue for “aussies’ as you put it, and businesses. I suggest you contact your local member of parliament if you would like to change this!
Thanks for your comments which contain valuable information and insights for future guests and help us strive to continue improving our customer service. I am concerned that reviews such as yours that make untrue, incorrect statements are allowed to be published. I assume given the comments you do not work in the Tourism industry or know little if anything about it.
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Abbey Beach was a great disappointment to us. After reading reviews I expected at crash hot resort and found instead an understaffed and tired facility. The room we had was basic budget and despite paying nearly $300 per night, our view of the carpark was sad.

The room was tired by anyones standards. Prices at the cafe were high and the look of their 'fine dining' restaurant was a laugh. It is a cafe with tablecloths. Staff were friendly which is about the best thing I have to say about Abbey Beach Resort. I would not recommend it to any of my friends for a romantic stay. Would have got better value at a Great Western.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thanks for your comments. I am however disappointed to hear your comments. Staff are busy at this time of year we have certainly not been understaffed, other than the odd persons phoning in with illness. Your comment regarding the Resort being ‘tired’ is based on your perception, which is your and your alone, and you can see from the many reviews that most others do not share this point of view. The Brasserie Resort is certainly finer dining than the Café, but again, I point out these are your perceptions and not many others. I assume you looked at the menu prices before you ate and made your decision based on this? Thanks for your comments regarding staff, I will certainly pass them on, they work tirelessly at our busiest time of year, and on numerous occasions go ‘above and beyond’ to ensure guests enjoy their stay, despite some guests being difficult to please.In regards to your comment about a ‘romantic stay’ at this time of year we are very busy and sleep hundreds of guests, if this was what you were after in school holidays, I suggest you picked the wrong Resort. Great Western are a fantastic brand and do many great hotels. Not many have the Resort facilities we offer, nor the level of service.
Once again thanks for your comments which contain valuable information and insights for future guests and help us strive to continue improving our customer service.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We had a quick 3 days at Abby beach resort just after New Years. Great location, easy to get to any of the Margaret River wineries, galleries, kids fun parks. Supermarket and good restaurants nearby. Looking a little tired but great new kitchen. Kids loved pools, beach a walk away. Only a 2 hour trip from Perth so quite easily done.

• Stayed January 2013
Rod_Hughes01, General Manager at Abbey Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest, thanks so much for your comments. It’s great to hear your comments regarding the new kitchens. Further renovations are planned for this year, which will be fantastic.. Comments such as yours contain valuable information and insights for future guests and help us strive to continue improving our customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Abbey Beach Resort in the future.
Gold Coast, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and paid over $200/night so expected room to be pretty swish. It was large and there was decent size spa in bathroom/ 2 person spa with jets BUT the balcony was indoor looking over restaurant - WAY too weird! Couldn't use it at all or get fresh air and restaurant played loud music from 5pm. They were fully booked do couldn't move us. Family type place, ok pools, beach nearby a bit meh

• Stayed January 2013
Jenny F, Public Relations Manager at Abbey Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
The Studio Spa Suites are contained within the hotel complex, as described on our website. It clearly states that "Abbey’s Studio Spa Suites are located within the hotel wing of the resort complex. They’re an effortless option for the romantic escape or business trip. Some feature views over the stunning atrium area, swimming pool or gardens. Their up-market standard is reflected in the lavish décor and long list of included amenities" If the resort was fully booked then we had no room for movement and hope that you understand this predicament.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busselton
The Sebel Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
#1 of 14 in Busselton
4.5 of 5 stars 212 reviews

Been to Abbey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!