“At this stage Not again. ” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Wodonga, Australia
“At this stage Not again. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

For a fine dining restaurant and the excellent reviews it is receiving, I was disappointed in the food. The octopus entree was technically good and tasty however the size was incredibly tiny and would have fitted into a table spoon. My main meal of scotch fillet steak med/rare was ok with salad leaves and garlic cream as accompaniments but something I could have prepared at home with my eyes closed. Not a real fine dining experience I'm afraid. The hand cut chips were not presented directly with the meal but arrived overcooked and way too crunchy. The dessert of home made ice cream was a little underwhelming and more like cream. Expensive for what you get but maybe the winter menu could be more technical and adventurous. Staff service was quite good.

“Beautiful sophisticated meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I had been waiting to go here for a while and when I did I was not disappointed. I was with a group of eight and everyone was blown away. The service was excellent and the food was to die for. Fantastic work guys, I can't wait to go back.

“An excellent experience as always.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My fiancée and I have been to Broadgauge four separate times now and each time we have come away full, wanting more and smiling. All of this is thanks to excellent service, excellent food and great hosts.

Food for us arrived just when we wanted it, was varied and delicious and had been garnished and presented very nicely. Drinks are local and the staff can make any cocktail under the sun it seems, rare requests just arrived without a fuss. A first for Albury Wodonga in my experience.

Prices are very reasonable when you compare them to other restaurants. I have noted some reviewers talking about the dress of the staff and the decor, you're there for the food and the friends! Enjoy it, as we certainly did and we will be back again. There is no equal in Albury-Wodonga.

Holbrook, Australia
“Beyond superlatives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I think this was the fourth time we have been to Broadgauge, either for lunch or dinner.
The quality of the service and the food is above anything we have had in top restaurants in Sydney, Melbourne or Dunkeld. The service is personalised and attentive and the food is cooked to your preference and beautifully presented. Steve is an excellent mine-host who welcomes you with warmth and affection. His knowledge of wine and its compatibility with the dishes selected is spot on and his advice is highly recommended. Staff remembers your name and treat you as old friends. Jodie and her staff are equally creative in the kitchen and always present a meal which will linger in the memory and on the taste buds for a long time. Steve and Jodie just keep on growing and surpassing themselves in each venture they undertake. We look forward to any reason to dine at this establishment, as do our friends in Melbourne. We will be visiting this restaurant again next month with friends and know we will not be disappointed. Thank you Steve and Jodie for raising the bar - keep up the good work.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointed experience at Broadgauge!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had been wanting to try Broadgauge since it opened as we find there isn't much choice in the Albury Wodonga area for good food. The first thing that I found out of place was the staff's choice of uniform. Our waitress wore light denim tight fitting jeans with a blue shirt, as I looked around all the staff were wearing light denim jeans with inappropriate lace up boots and one even had a distinctive nose ring with a ball on it. Now in the right cafe or restaurant that doesn't faze me at all, but in a restaurant asking quite high prices and the patrons dressed quite smart it just didn't look right. Our waitress when asked what the fish of the day was had to refer to an old coaster in her apron pocket and then when further questioned about the pasta of the day couldn't pronounce the pasta and had to go to the kitchen and return to us to explain it further.

The staff kept coming and filling up our glass of water however we had a full iced carafe of water on our table that wasn't touched. The staff would collect our plates without asking how our meal was or without a word at all. Our meals were another thing. We had a steak which was supposed to be med rare and was medium when eaten, furthermore it was accompanied with onion rings which I found strange in a restaurant asking such high prices, it was something more like an accompaniment at Hogs breath cafe! We also had a kimchi omelette which was large in size however had Asian vegetables with what was similar to guacomale dip on it. The two flavours together just clashed in my opinion and I actually couldn't finish the meal. We did not have dessert however when finalising our bill noticed a $1 donation to the caravan automatically added. Now we never mind donating any money to any charity but I think one needs to be asked prior to assuming or demanding the payment by automatically adding it to the bill. The whole experience was a disappointment to us as we were expecting more. We believe to have an enjoyable dining experience everything matters and that includes service,staff, appearance and the meal. Would we return? Probably not.

Visited January 2014