“Food never disappoints! Service, however....” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Food never disappoints! Service, however....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming here for years and the choice of food has always been extensive with something for everyone. Our food choices whether they be steak, pasta or fish have always been cooked and presented perfectly. Desserts are huge with one being big enough to share, if you want to! The problems seem to stem from the high turn around of waiters. Uni students are taken on and trained but don't tend to stay for long. There will be mistakes made; others being served before yourself even though you came in ahead of them, not remembering the name of the food they are serving you, drink orders that need reminding. But if you have some time and patience, I think you will be rewarded with great food as the resident chef is fabulous. On the flip side, however, you are paying a premium for a meal which includes service, so, being spoilt for choice in Williamstown, go elsewhere if you're not happy being served by uni students.

Singapore, Singapore
“Avoid this restaurant !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Was at the restaurant on 11 Sep 2012 with my wife.

- The 2 young girl seated to my right order some steak and they complained that the steak tasted awful and ask the staff to take it back. The young girls walk out of the restaurant after that.

- The gentleman seated behind me ordered Fish & Chips. He took a couple of bites, told the staff that the food doesn't taste right and went off.

- The 2 couple seated in front of us arrived later then us but their order were served first. They ordered the same Entree and Main as us...

- As for us, the we waited for > 40mins, reminded the staff twice about our order and eventually left the restaurant hungry and pissed.

Visited September 2012
“Avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Terrible service and food. Poached eggs came out as congealed scrambled eggs with spinach and suspiciously old salmon, all drowning in too much hollandaise sauce. Waiter couldn't tell us what was written on the board outside. Coffee was weak and flavorless. Simply awful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
“Fantastic food, service average”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

When I visit Al Porto Vecchio, I have to remind myself that the food is brilliant, because sometimes you can be waiting 20-30 for your drink.. but look past it, it will be worth your while.

Visited January 2012
“First and last visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

First time visit to this restaurant with my partner. It looked OK from outside but we were shown upstairs to the function area which was not at all inviting. The shelf next to our table/heads was thick with dust, decor was more like you would find in a working men's social club/ 70's function room, lighting was horrible and it had no atmosphere at all.

Ordered bruschetta for starter. When it came it was a garlic and cheese pizza? It was actually probably the best part of the meal although burnt. It was definitely not bruschetta and was annoying for my partner who ordered a pizza for main. I would not consider a dinner plate sized pizza a starter/appetiser and am glad we only ordered one between us! The service does not seem standardised at all. We we not given any side plates, offered black pepper or parmesan throughout our meal although the diners next to us were. We tried to ask for side plates but the waitress literally put the plates down so quickly and disappeared that we were left trying to shout after her but to no avail.

When we first sat down we ordered two drinks and a jug of water. 45 minutes later and half way through the main course the water had not arrived despite asking another 3 times. In the end I had to go downstairs and find a jug myself. If I hadn't of done this we would not have had any water throughout the whole meal. We also had issues ordering a second round of drinks- my partner had to ask 3 times for a glass of wine and coke.

Portion sizes are massive (in a bad way)! Potato wedges portions are huge. I ordered a pasta dish and it was probably enough for 3 people and it is off putting having such an enormous amount put in front of you. The vegetarian pasta dish was ridiculously salty- you actually couldn't taste anything except for salt (which did not help with the lack of water)

When it came to paying, we were given the bill and immediately placed the money on the top. We waited for more than 20 minutes for someone to come to take the money away. Two waitresses actually came and started clearing tables around us but did not take the paid bill away. In the end we decided to go downstairs and wait by the door on the way out to pay.

Won't be visiting again- very disappointing!

• Visited May 2012