“Very pleasant experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sunbury, Australia
“Very pleasant experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We arrived without a booking (Tues night) and couldn't have asked for a better greeting. We were unsure wether to eat here or not but while checking the menu and chatting to the attendnat our minds were made up. Immediately seated at a waterfront table, service was excellent, we never felt rushed or pushed, which suited my friend and I as we had lots to catch up on. Nice cold wines, quick delivery of meals once ordered....pleanty of time between mains and dessert. Water offered at the table...all staff were pleasant. We needed some alteration to one of the meals, which proved to be of no problem. Quiet, peaceful surrounds....it was a tues night so not rush hour. Very pleansant eveing...would go back there. Food lovley, fresh, perfectly cooked and well presented.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great food, slow service, noisy and busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We’ve been here a few times, we never make bookings and times we’ve walked in and its been packed but they’ve always made room for us. The service can be a little slow sometimes, even with just taking your order, and the food takes even longer. Its normally fairly noisy too, not exactly your ideal romantic setting. The food is wonderful however, a little expensive, but wonderful none the less. Probably if we went on a quieter night of the week we wouldn’t have so much hassle, but the views are great every day of the week, really beautiful.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Service is beyond a joke. My wife and I went to this place for dinner and stood around for over prob 5 mins as staff just kept walking past and ignoring us without bothering to ask us anything. This is in front of the bar as well and the bar staff seem to pretend we werent there. Finally I made the initiative and got a seat. Even then staff was extremely unfriendly not a smile on anyone's face. Again kept waiting. No service to order anything. Then I went and ordered at the bar - fine dining my backside. The food was the next joke. Was horrible. You can have pub food for half the price, way better presented, that taste so much better. Had a rib eye that was charcoaled and Just chucked on a plate - a real mess. And the other - lamb, were about 6 diced full of fat pieces which I would normally throw in the bin if at home - and boiled veges. Serving sizes were certainly fine dining though - so they made sure to get that right. At $35 - $40 each, waterfront pricing for less than pub food. If you decide to go here I'd say to sit where there's a decent view so you'll at least get that for what you pay. Would never step into this place again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Williamstown, Australia
“The View is Magnificent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

As a local this is one of my favourite places to meet friends for drinks. Sit on the deck, or inside to enjoy the view across the locally moored boats towards the city. It's very relaxing to watch the sun set across the bay. However the service is not that good. I met a friend there last night and even though there were only two others there, the staff kept us waiting while they had a good ol' chat, before they served us up at the bar. Even worse, when we chose a table it was really dirty, so had to ask for a cloth. I know what you are thinking, yes, they should have stopped talking and come to clean our table, but no, the waiter actually did hand my friend the cloth to clean the table herself, then he resumed the conversation he was having. Time to lift the level of service people! The locals are on to you and you are losing custom.

“Unexpected! Was pleasantly surprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend has recently moved to the area, so a short walk along the street passing numerous other cafes & restaurants she pointed us through the park to the pelican!
I'm not one for "restaurants with views" but we walked in, service started a bit slow until Amanda came to our table! A mature lady with several piercings & the odd tattoo here & there, she helped with Great suggestions on wine & food.
Starters we had beetroot salad, scallops & the saganaki. Was delicious.
The scallops full & plump & cooked to perfection.
Mains my host had roasted salmon, my partner had the marinara (the best he's had since he came to Australia) I had the duck.
They were all very pleasing, decent sized portions. Presentation was great too.
The duck was served with half a poached pear, marinated wild figs & a mushroom risotto. Delicious.

The desserts were all fine, nothing really outstanding compared to the other dishes. The chilli chocolate tart... Couldn't detect any chilli at all.

All in all was great.i probably wouldn't want to come when it's crazy busy! As it seats a hell of a lot, was a quiet Sunday night when we experienced this great pelican.
We will be back!

$300 for 3 people. 2 bottles of wine & 3 courses each.
Good value.