“Nice Instructors and Amazing Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

$48*
and up
Ranked #5 of 19 things to do in Torquay
More attraction details
Owner description: Go Ride A Wave Torquay is the most well known location of Australia's favourite surf school who provide 2 hour surfing lessons for beginners every day from $55 for kids under 18 and $65 for adults. We also provide surfboards bodyboards and wetsuits for hire and have all the equipment you need for the beach available for sale from our shop which is the closest shop to the Torquay beach.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Instructors and Amazing Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked my first ever surf lesson through go ride a wave and the prices were fantastic considering it included surfboard and wetsuit hire as well as the lesson. very affordable for tourists as well as teenagers and families. great customer service and the instructors were very kind and patient. great instructions and lots of fun. everyone stood up in the lesson and the instructors always offered to help if we looked like we were having a bit of trouble :) have been twice so far and will definately go back again this summer and suggest that anyone looking to learn to surf go here :)

Visited January 2013

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Go ride a wave, best place to rent a surf board and surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

2 years ago i left melbourne for the first after arriving in australia. I'd looked for somewhere where i could hire a board that was close to the beach. After a brief train ride and a small bus journey i arrived in torquay.I'd pre booked my board online and walked straight upto the desk. Within minutes i'd been given a wet suit and next my board. After thanking them and securing my stuff in their lockers i waklked out the shop. Surprised, i only had to walk down a sandy lane to the beach where the waves were big. In my 2 years in australia I found the biggest waves here. I returned many times after this visit taking friends with me aswell.

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Even got me standing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm a 31 year old uncoordinated female, first time surfing, stood up first time! The instructors were very patient and nice, took us to a safe and unknown beach so it wasn't very busy. Feel after half a day, it's just practice now and there's not a lot more that I can learn at this stage.

Torquay, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“What a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I am a local in Torquay and wanted to give surfing a go once again. Go Ride A Wave in Torquay gave me the best experience - once again! I was a little nervous at the start, but the staff were so friendly there. The guy at the shop - Mark was lovely and made me feel less nervous and more excited about the lesson. They were very professional - they provided us with wetsuits (included in two hour lesson price), made us feel welcomed at their shop, and helped us with the surfboard (soft foam surfboard). The lesson was great as the instructors were really friendly and attentive. I was worried I wasn't going to last two hours!! But two hours flew! When I was exhausted, the instructor made sure we took time out and have a quick rest, and when we felt ready to go again, they were once again very supportive and encouraging. I stood up at the end of my lesson - YAY! And most of us in that lesson stood up too. We were pretty proud of ourselves! Was certainly a great experience and would recommend Go Ride A Wave to anyone. I had also had a lesson with Go Ride A Wave when i was in Noosa, and that was super fun too!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booking a large group lesson, the instructor to participant ratio was great. I think 2 instructors for about 10-12 people. Might not sound like much, but since you're constantly paddling back out, there is a lot of time spend with instructors out the back of the waves.

We had first timers and 2nd/3rd timers and the instructors were good enough to help everyone improve. Everyone caught at least 1 wave including my mates dad!

BTW - we used it as a Bucks Party activity. And while I absolutely agree that you should not be intoxicated while surfing ... surfing is the ultimate hangover cure!