“Very odd experience involving 'stolen' rose petals!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Australia
“Very odd experience involving 'stolen' rose petals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this restaurant 2 course meal prix fixe for dinner. When we arrived the waitress took my female friend and me(a women) to a table strewn with rosé petals and long stemmed roses. The waitress said my husband had phoned and ordered them. I laughed and said my husband wouldn't know where we were going for dinner and after 27 years of marriage wouldn't be sending roses to myself and a girl friend . She insisted that it was indeed for us and only after a battle a call to my husband did they let us move to a non rose strewn table. The meal itself was pleasant but we were shot glances as the waitress had purchased the flowers from her own pocket and thought we were not going to pay for the roses. We left without seeing whether the real romantic couple arrived feeling as though we had done something wrong. The next day we popped in to the restaurant to see if anyone turned up. A couple had indeed arrived for a later booking and pay for the flowers. Chez Olivier gave us a voucher to return for a more relaxed visit another time- whoops that was just wishful thinking like flowers!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Geelong, Australia
“Don't be put off by the daggy font”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My steak frites at Chez Olivier was better than Bistro Guillaume!

In fact, the standard of food at this little place was exceptional. Lovely, authentic seafood bisque. Traditional creme brulee. Friendly, low key service. It's a small, warm restaurant - very inviting for a winter meal. The decor is a bit French kitsch, but it adds to the unpretentious feel of the place. We hope to return!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne
“Good food, but has that faint waft of 'faux Paris'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Chez Olivier has some stiff competition locally for the hearts and minds of Francophiles in Prahran and surrounds. France Soir remains a very solid institution, even if it is now increasingly attracting the 'out of towners' in the same way as, say, Flower Drum. Chez Bob remains an excellent competitor, with genuine French waiters, and an excellent if predictably menu. We tried Olivier hoping to find another viable alternative.

Overall, it was good. The seafood bisque was excellent, with fresh prawns, mussels and scallops in a very tasty base. The stew was also excellent, although the white beans were a little underdone, and chewy. My wifes duck was a disappointment, none of that wonderful fall-off-the-bone texture that accompanies excellent duck leg. Overall, it was very nice but there were a couple of issues.

Firstly the wine list. Good, but pretty pricey for what it is, and especially by the glass. A second basket of bread is charged for (please, when the bill is over $200 for two ??).

Most of all, I just could not gel with the atmosphere. The lighting is wrong, especially for a small place where everyone is seated so close. And the music.... Just horrible. Old french folk music, etc, really gave the place a 'try hard' feel.

Will probably try it again, but that vital first impression was NQR

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tasmania
“A memorable evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

A romantic dinner for two, rose petals and a single rose on the table, and now the anticipation of the meal to come. We shared the garlic snails followed by onion soup and steak tartare for entree, confit duck and beef rossini for a mains resulting in a hearty meal. We did not leave room for dessert but settled on some cheese to finish. Delightful backgound music, a good bottle of French red wine and the sounds of happy diners completed the picture. Well worth visiting for a great bistro meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne
“Chez Olivier - it does not get much better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Both Carole and I have thoroughly enjoyed our past experiences at this delightful cafe in Prahran, so we decided to return to celebrate our wedding anniversary there last week. It was a great night, (I ordered the rose petals strewn on the table - wonderful romantic effect), with excellent food and service. We both felt it just could not get any better than this.

For our entree, we shared the Assiette De Charcuteriue - this was simply stunning, with splendid rillettes, terrine and the most delightful pâté that I have had in a very long time. Beautifully presented – a delight to indulge in all washed down by a very nice champagne.

Quite separately, we both ended up choosing the Frozzie Duck for our main meals. It reads beautifully on the menu, with an excellent combination of pickled ginger, buk choi and a sauce composed of lime, ginger and redcurrant jelly. It really was a wonderful main course, so different, yet with an Asian influence on duck beautifully cooked in the French fashion.

Naturally, this was again washed down with an excellent Red chosen from the well constructed wine list.

Finally, the night had to come to an end and we finished it off with two beautiful deserts, crêpe Suzette for me whilst Carole enjoyed her ice cream trio. She always appreciates ice cream and this was no exception. My crêpes were terrific, much better than I expected, although I should not have been surprised given past experience with this restaurant and knowing their quality.

The service is always excellent, and Jacqueline and Lou made sure we had everything we needed throughout the night, with well spaced timing between courses and the occasional chat which lent so much more to the atmosphere during the night.

Our grateful thanks to all at Chez Olivier - you all made our anniversary memorable and wonderful in your superb restaurant. Congratulations to all concerned.

As you can imagine having read this review, there is absolutely no doubt we will be returning!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere