“Sydney could never pull this off!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 99 restaurants in Prahran
Cuisines: Thai
“Sydney could never pull this off!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'd been to Cookie in Swanston St, Melbourne before and I was super impressed with the Belgium beer hall come thai restaurant with the brilliant food. However, Colonel Tan's (which I heard has the same owners) took it up another notch with it's uber electric vintage chic fit out, complete with velour lounges, ceiling mounted lampshades and of course a DJ cage, which every hipster restaurant should have! Like Cookie the innovative thai fusion food was packed with surprising flavour; the calamari was a triumph and the pork and prawn donuts sublime. We didn't even make it to mains and rice, instead feasting on thai sausage, fried pork ribs, corn fritters and the like. The jugs of Boags perfectly complemented the spicy fare. Service was efficient even on a packed Thursday night, which I'm told is Locals night, lucky I was dining with a Toorakian!! I will be back to this funky urban gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
“So funky and different and excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

When I was led into the venue, I thought there had to be some sort of mistake. This looks like a dark nightclub to me! But then as we went up the stairs and further in, I see a cool, funky restaurant. It was very different and I was still a bit apprehensive when we sat down. However, service was excellent, we were served by a young, extremely friendly waitress and we proceeded to order A LOT as we usually do. The menu is modern, Thai fusion and they do it VERY well! Definitely get the pork and prawn donuts and chicken maryland with salted duck egg salad. Everything was very tasty. I guess the only area they could improve is with desserts, or that could just be me. I like French-type desserts but these were desserts with an asian flair (think palm sugar, coconut, tapioca etc) that were really not to my taste. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012