“Luxury Comfort at an Affordable Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Cullen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Cullen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164 Commercial Road | Melbourne, Prahran, Stonnington, Victoria 3181, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Prahran
Hobart, Australia
“Luxury Comfort at an Affordable Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my second stay at an Art Series Hotel, and like my first stay at The Blackman it did not disappoint.

We were able to check in a bit before 2pm which was great as we arrived on a Sunday which I'm sure is a huge day for people checking out from their weekend stays. We stayed in a Studio Suite, on level 2 overlooking the park.

The Rooms at The Cullen are superbly appointed with modern fittings and fixtures,and the rooms are properly clean (no dust bunnies hiding in this hotel).Even the lower end room have bathrobes and slippers and the huge Art Series Signature beds which are the most comfortable beds ever! The sheets are also a lovey high thread count and I think the pillows and doona might even be feather too. The curtains and really thick and heavy and do a great job of blocking out the morning sun so you can sleep in or have an afternoon nap.

The Studio Suite has a great little kitchenette with a few pots and pans hot plate and convection oven if you want to do a bit of cooking, but who really would with Chapel Street just a few meters up the road and the markets across the road?

The housekeeping staff at The Cullen were amazingly helpful, they re-stocked all the used toiletries every day (even the shower cap!) and were more than happy to bring up any additional items we needed, I got a bit addicted to one of the T2 teas (yes thats right no crappy catering blend at this hotel) and the housekeeping staff bought me up some extra tea, there were also numerous other lovely touches throughout the stay like making up our room when they noticed we had just popped out for lunch.

I can't wait for my next trip to Melbourne, I think I will have to try the Olsen next time. I can't see myself ever staying at any other hotels in Melbourne, this hotels are just the business!

Room Tip: The bathrooms are just frosted glass so I would only recommend this for fairly established couples t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

597 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Cullen for 4 nights to relax and unwind. The service was slick and professional. The Hotel itself was fun and modern and well thought out. The bathroom area could have been a little larger, but all in all very comfortable. We had never stayed in Prahran before and found plenty of good restaurants and shops within walking distance, the Prahran Markets are right across the road from the hotel and we love the fantastic variety and quality of the fresh produce available there.
The only negative to speak of is that there is new building being constructed in the side street adjacent the hotel which was a little noisy after about 7.30 am, but I think you may get a better room rate because of it!

Room Tip: The New construction is in Grattan St, ask for a room on the opposite side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

One night stay - single-bed suite
Booked through agent - $210.00 AUD total incl. breakfast
This hotel gets the important things right, as well as the fine details
Decor is very contemporary & edgy in keeping with its namesake artist, but very tastefully arranged & not overwhelming at all
Amenities are top-notch, & you will want for very little - a sure sign that this is a hotel you can make yourself at home. Check-in & check-out likewise
Mini-bar is reasonably priced, but still expensive considering there are convenience stores & supermarkets a short stroll away
Restaurants are well-appointed, & location is very convenient. Smart cars & bikes available for hire
Very highly recommended for a leisurely stay in Melbourne

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed during the recent British Lions tour - The front desk very helpful and restaurant excellent for late arrivals as it serves meals till late. Stayed in studio suite which was good size and very quiet. Very close to all the amenities of Chapel Street.

Room Tip: Construction opposite west side rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This boutique hotel is amazing. I wont stay anywhere else in Melbourne. Just had another long weekend there this weekend. I cant fault anything, from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff. Rooms are fabulous and always spotless. Minor details are not missed, from the Evo bathroom amenities to the morning paper under your door. Dont forget to have a cocktail at Gramercy or some dumplings at HuTong Peking Duck & Dumpling Restaurant. I cant wait to be back next month.

Room Tip: When booking request a standby upgrade. The junior penthouses are fabulous and the penthouses are A...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It's not a hard life when you have to stay here every other week for work - actually I don't have to stay here, I choose to because it is my favourite place other than home. The front desk team are unfailingly helpful, friendly and professional all in one. The rooms are exactly what you want from a boutique hotel - whether it's the least expensive or one of the art-themed suites, all are well-furnished and stylish. Small extras like lovely tea, good toiletries and very comfortable beds with great linen make it feel so much more personal than a corporate sleep-box. There's a small but perfectly formed gym and the hotel has a fantastic restaurant to rely on. The Gramercy continues to delight me even after more than a year of eating there every other week. I am inspired to finally write this review, that I have been meaning to do for months, after a meltingly great snapper just enjoyed for dinner. I could also recommend you plan your itinerary around Steak night Tuesday. The only small 'brickbat' shared with a previous reviewer was the small service gaps from the room care team - hardly enough to mention but I want to be balanced! This really is a great spot for all occasions - business or pleasure. The only reason I haven't brought my husband for pleasure yet is knowing he will realize how easy my stay-away actually is and all sympathy for having to travel every other week will be lost. Before I know it he'll be sending me with the kids too.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here recently on Business - it was my second visit and it's now one of my favourite hotels. The service is very friendly, I received an upgrade to a junior suite and in my room was a hand written note welcoming me back and a fresh pastry! I love the art work and decour, such a welcoming change to the usual drab hotel interiors. The bed was especially comfortable facing a decent size HD TV. Great food and coffee from Gramercy Cafe on the ground floor. Not nessarliy the best location for City meetings but perfect for St Kilda road.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a junior suite for more spacious room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi there Balmaintragic!

I hope you indulged in the slice, they are hand made in our kitchen down at the Olsen by our wonder check Demi! I find it hard to resist when I sit next to them all day!!

Glad you enjoyed your upgrade those rooms are excellent!!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Ben & The Cullen Crew

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!