“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Cullen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Cullen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164 Commercial Road | Melbourne, Prahran, Stonnington, Victoria 3181, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Prahran
Launceston, Tasmania
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a great area - close to good shopping and restaurants plus supermarkets and market for self catering, as well as 2 excellent in-house restaurants. Rooms are very comfortable - awesome bed and shower/water pressure perfect. Frosted glass bathroom might be off putting if sharing with others. Appreciated the top quality amenities & attention to detail e.g. Evo toiletries, T2 tea and plunger coffee. Definitely many improvements have been made since my stay at The Olsen nearby a couple of years ago. Check in & out were seamless and staff super friendly.
Shame about some construction noise at the moment, which the hotel should really make clear to potential guests - Otherwise very quiet. Room was so dark and quiet Sunday morning I thought there might've been an overnight zombie apocalypse! Overall, I'd recommend The Cullen. I've already booked to stay again in a few months!

• Stayed July 2013
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dalts77,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and I hope you managed to fill your bag with our amenities!

I can only apologise for the construction outside the hotel, we have little control over that unfortunately. We are letting out potential guests and clients know when booking at trying to make sure we get them on the quiet side of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Being from Sydney, I associate everything cool and arty with Melbourne; The Cullen encapsulates this association in one funky building. Although not an overly enthusiastic fan of Cullen's artwork (too many damn donkeys) I appreciate a hotel that dedicates itself to an artist's work.
As my husband is a smoker, we booked a balcony room. There was none of that prissy passive-aggressive 'thank you for not smoking on our balcony' rubbish; they happily provided an ashtray.
The room was fabulously decorated; the bed blissfully comfortable, with the most amazing pillows. The mini-bar was very reasonable, the staff enthusi

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on high floors have views over the city
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Kreebeedee,

You are quite right, we are straight up and happy to help where we can, I'm glad your husband enjoyed your non judgement balcony to have a cigarette!

Please let me know if you would like to purchase any of our bedding, everything that is not nailed down you can buy.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

The Cullen is a good hotel, but not great.

It's clean, but everything was just harder than it needed to be. They'd call a car - it wouldn't come (twice on separate days). Room service started to clean my bathroom while I was asleep in bed! That was awkward. Service at the cafe is patchy, but the food was good and well priced.

It's close to Chapel St, but everywhere else is $20 in a cab away and it takes forever to get a cab on the street.

The Hotel was fine for a business trip, but wasn't a fun place to stay. I wouldn't say it was great for families either, as some of the art on the walls was a bit lurid.

I am sure everyone there means well. It's a new hotel, so hopefully they're just smoothing out the rough edges.

Hi Adbutler_AU,

I am sorry to hear of your experience during your recent stay at the Cullen.

I am currently in the process of following up why the housekeeper would have gone into your room while you still sleeping, this does seem a little out of character.

While we do try and ensure our guests can easily get cabs we are at the mercy of the cab companies, we do use a contracted car company but during peak times especially with rain we do experience lengthy delays. Once again I apologise for this.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss this further.

Warm Regards,

Ben Kershaw
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I visit Melbourne once a year and try to stay in different area each time. Was looking for something that would remind me of home...(Portland Oregon)...this hotel and the area it is in could be right in the heart of the Pearl District in Portland. Beautiful furnishings...very comfortable bed and cannot say enough about the staff. Forgot my converter for my hair curlers...within minutes of calling front desk it was delivered to my room. Right across from Prahran market...down the street from where its all happening. Great French bakery close also. Might forgo another hotel discovery next time...and stay again in Prahran at the Cullen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi Pamela,

I am happy to hear that we provided you a home away from home while you stayed with us. This is most certainly what we pride ourselves in as a hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your yearly visit!

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here one night and it was a bit like a trip to Disneyland with edgier, slightly twisted art. All the services were very nice, bed comfy, but I didn't appreciate the glass walled bathroom as much as I might have when we were thirty years younger. Really loved the art throughout the hotel, and we had a really nice dinner at the Gramercy Bistro there. My only beef was the nutty preponderance of decorative throw pillows in this room... taking up space that you'd like to use for your stuff instead. Great desk staff, not 'up themselves' like one might expect in such a cool cool hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel! Funky decor. Organized a surprise 30th present to be in the room on arrival everything was done perfectly! Definetly recommend this hotel. I would probably stay closer to the city so would try the Blackman but that's just a personal preference on location. There are some great cafes ( would recommend the restaurant outside the hotel!) and everything is within walking distance. A+

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location, fantastic food, warm service from staff & totally funky decor topped off by a deliciously comfortable King size bed!

If you are seeking true value for money then this is the boutique hotel for your next Melbourne visit.

I look forward to returning to this little jewel.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!