“loved the hotel, staff were amazing such an experience..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

You added Art Series - The Cullen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Cullen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164 Commercial Road | Melbourne, Prahran, Stonnington, Victoria 3181, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT SAVE 20%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Melbourne, Australia
“loved the hotel, staff were amazing such an experience..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

you must stay here, the place is so clean and the feel is so amazing, what ever your needs are it is taken care of by the amazing staff, always have a smile and so friendly, do yourself a favour and book you will be back just like we will......Mark.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Hi Mark, thank you for your review.

Its great to receive feedback about our staff, I know they genuinely enjoy chatting and getting to know all guests in the hotel. Our housekeeping team do a fantastic job of maintaining the high standards of the property also.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cullen when you are next visiting the area,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

First impressions mean everything and the Cullen most certainly gets off to a good start. Very impressive hotel lobby and friendly staff. Fortunately we were able to check in early and had a perfect city view from the room - room 520. Room itself was compact but was ever so stylish and every mod con you would need - even a dishwasher! Really felt like home. Bathroom was interesting - there is see through glass! All very fitting with the arty style of the room.
On the whole we couldn't fault the experience - although there was no room service which in standard in most 5 star hotels. A good 8/10!! Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 520 - deluxe double. City views.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
mdgguy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Hi Laura, thankyou for your review.

Its fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay in room 520. This is one of our most requested rooms, though I can vouch for them all. Our unique location allows views of Melbourne City like no other - close enough to view the individual suburbs, buildings and landmarks but far enough away to capture the entire skyline from the South. Im glad you got to experience this from the balcony of the room.

I was concerned to read your comment about room service. As a five star hotel, we provide 24 hour room service to every guest as a standard facility. I have passed along your comments to the Housekeeping Manager as perhaps the room service menu was difficult to find in your compendium.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cullen when you are next visiting Melbourne.

Kindest Regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

My daughter and I take a trip to Victoria (usually around Melbourne) for a long weekend around mother's day. This year we chose the Cullen for our second night of our weekend and we couldn't have picked a better place.
Staff were great; location perfect for the retail therapists; food to die for; and luxury just what we needed after working hard!

It was just perfect..... hopefully when we come back next year (for 2 nights) it will be just as good, and we'll have some time to test the spa and pool... (may be a bit cold in May though!)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

What a lovely tradition to travel with your daughter to Melbourne over Mothers Day. Im glad you had a great time while staying at The Cullen. Our location just down from Chapel St is heaven for die-hard shoppers and with the many restaurants and bars in the area you dont need to travel far to have a good time.

We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully before next Mothers Day.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The Cullen is exceptional. Fantastic hotel, amazing bed and shower, great artwork, well thought about and great service. One of the best hotels in aus for it's size and price. Stay here- impressive!

• Stayed June 2011
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed at The Cullen in May 2011 and was pleasantly surprised, after arriving 2 hours too early, for someone to actually take the time and find out if the room was actually available and then let us in early. Also, the 2 gentleman at the front desk were especially friendly, one of them showing exactly where to go for dinner, see bands, shop etc. The cleaning lady was lovely and it reminded me of being in another country with a funny big personality saying hello darlings, etc... I loved the art throughout the hotel, the bed was so comfortable and the location is right in the heart of Chapel Street. I am only annoyed that I only got to stay there 1 night, I had been at a conference for 3 nights before at The Hilton and there is no comparison. If you dont like sterile and boring and would like to go somewhere with personality everywhere from the actual hotel to the staff to the area, then I would definitely stay at The Cullen. Loved it...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Hi Monique,

Thank you for taking the time to review. Im thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay at The Cullen. From your comments, I can see you got to experience true Cullen service. We will always offer an early check-in where possible and of course point you in the right direction for dinner, drinks, a movie or place of interest.

Our bedding is part of the Art Series Art Of Sleep bedding and linen range and is available for sale through the hotel. Feel free to contact us directly should you wish to enquire about purchasing bedding or linen.

Im glad you got the opportunity to see how The Cullen sets itself apart from other Melbourne hotels after changing hotels during your time here. Its great to have feedback such as yours and we would love to see you again next time you visit Melbourne.

King Regards,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The Cullen was not just a place for me to stay in Melbourne, it was an integral part of my entire experience in the city. The location in Prahran is perfect. The Prahran Market is across the street, the entire neighbourhood is not to be missed. Restaurants of every type, from pubs to high-end, and especially the many ethnic restaurants that are everywhere. The Cullen was just a real gem. It is cool, trendy, hip and you sense all this just by walking in the door. The in-house restaurant for the hotel is excellent and made even more so by the staff. I can't descibe the visual treats of the hotel, just go to their website for the actual pics. My only disappointment was the rude and surly service at the in-house Chinese restaurant, but I believe it is just in the building but owned and run externally. I actually walked out after being sent to the back table of a 1/3 full restaurant and told I had to be finished in an hour as they were fully booked. I walked out but came back to check and they were still many empty tables and they were telling customers to eat and leave quickly. Too bad, but don't confuse them with the absolulely wonderful service of the Cullen and their in-house restaurant. Daniel

Room Tip: Their website was pefect for me.
  • Stayed May 2011
mdgguy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Hi Daniel, thank you for your review.

Im glad you experienced a wonderful stay at the hotel. Hip, trendy, cool are words we like to throw around and exactly the type of impression we want to give at The Cullen. As you mentioned, the Prahran suburb is a destination in itself, our location accross the road from the Prahran Market allows guests to pick up wine, cheese, fruit and many other foods and experience them during their stay.

I would like to apologise for the service you experienced in Hu Tong. I have passed along your comments to their management and have been assured they will follow up with their staff.

Its great you got to see and feel what Melbourne is really about. Next time you are in Australia, we would love to have you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

It has been a long time since I have taken the time to write about a hotel but this hotel is worth that time. I have wanted to try an Art Series Hotel for awhile as I often stay in upmarket hotels frequently throughout Melbourne and the World for business and leisure.
Firstly the staff, nothing was too much trouble, they were ALL so genuine and friendly. From assisting me with my bags, helping me work out the key and bringing room service. The hotel itself is edgy and interesting much more so than other 5* hotels. No beige anywhere. Adam Cullens paintings and scultpures are dotted throughout the place and bring it to life!

The Hotel was generous enough to give me an upgrade to the Growler Suite (there penthouse) which considering I booked a basic room on Wot if and had not ever stayed there before was a delightful surprise. The room was magnificent but also more importantly for me very homey with art books and an open gas fire place, small kitchenette and fabulously comfy bed. The courtyard outside was lovely with spectacular views of Melbourne and Prahran. (Would be perfect for Summer drinks!).

The Room Service was excellent with my friend and I choosing to have dinner in our room before going out for the evening. There is also a great Dim Sum resturant next to the hotel and lots and lots of other dining options nearby as well as Chapel Street and the Prahran market for fab shopping.

I found myself leaving The Cullen thinking two things- firstly how relaxed I felt after just one night and secondly when I will be able to return for another stay! Thank you to all the staff for making my experience so special!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review.

I'm glad you finally made it to an Art Series Hotel after wanting to stay for a while. As a group, we are certainly trying not to build 'beige' hotels and I think The Cullen does this very well (in fact there is not a hint of beige anywhere in the property).

Im thrilled you enjoyed your experience with The Cullen staff and our Growler Penthouse. All of the guys take an interest in the guests of the hotel and aim to learn a little bit about each person they encounter. It pleases me you got to experience this genuine approach to service we pride ourselves on.

I look forward to seeing you back at The Cullen next time you are visiting Melbourne.

Warmest Regards,

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Olsen
4.5 of 5 stars 3,336 reviews
Oaks On William
#22 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 stars 761 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!