“A standout- impressive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

You added Art Series - The Cullen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Cullen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164 Commercial Road | Melbourne, Prahran, Stonnington, Victoria 3181, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
“A standout- impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

The Cullen is exceptional. Fantastic hotel, amazing bed and shower, great artwork, well thought about and great service. One of the best hotels in aus for it's size and price. Stay here- impressive!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed at The Cullen in May 2011 and was pleasantly surprised, after arriving 2 hours too early, for someone to actually take the time and find out if the room was actually available and then let us in early. Also, the 2 gentleman at the front desk were especially friendly, one of them showing exactly where to go for dinner, see bands, shop etc. The cleaning lady was lovely and it reminded me of being in another country with a funny big personality saying hello darlings, etc... I loved the art throughout the hotel, the bed was so comfortable and the location is right in the heart of Chapel Street. I am only annoyed that I only got to stay there 1 night, I had been at a conference for 3 nights before at The Hilton and there is no comparison. If you dont like sterile and boring and would like to go somewhere with personality everywhere from the actual hotel to the staff to the area, then I would definitely stay at The Cullen. Loved it...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
mdgguy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Hi Monique,

Thank you for taking the time to review. Im thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay at The Cullen. From your comments, I can see you got to experience true Cullen service. We will always offer an early check-in where possible and of course point you in the right direction for dinner, drinks, a movie or place of interest.

Our bedding is part of the Art Series Art Of Sleep bedding and linen range and is available for sale through the hotel. Feel free to contact us directly should you wish to enquire about purchasing bedding or linen.

Im glad you got the opportunity to see how The Cullen sets itself apart from other Melbourne hotels after changing hotels during your time here. Its great to have feedback such as yours and we would love to see you again next time you visit Melbourne.

King Regards,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The Cullen was not just a place for me to stay in Melbourne, it was an integral part of my entire experience in the city. The location in Prahran is perfect. The Prahran Market is across the street, the entire neighbourhood is not to be missed. Restaurants of every type, from pubs to high-end, and especially the many ethnic restaurants that are everywhere. The Cullen was just a real gem. It is cool, trendy, hip and you sense all this just by walking in the door. The in-house restaurant for the hotel is excellent and made even more so by the staff. I can't descibe the visual treats of the hotel, just go to their website for the actual pics. My only disappointment was the rude and surly service at the in-house Chinese restaurant, but I believe it is just in the building but owned and run externally. I actually walked out after being sent to the back table of a 1/3 full restaurant and told I had to be finished in an hour as they were fully booked. I walked out but came back to check and they were still many empty tables and they were telling customers to eat and leave quickly. Too bad, but don't confuse them with the absolulely wonderful service of the Cullen and their in-house restaurant. Daniel

Room Tip: Their website was pefect for me.
  • Stayed May 2011
mdgguy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Hi Daniel, thank you for your review.

Im glad you experienced a wonderful stay at the hotel. Hip, trendy, cool are words we like to throw around and exactly the type of impression we want to give at The Cullen. As you mentioned, the Prahran suburb is a destination in itself, our location accross the road from the Prahran Market allows guests to pick up wine, cheese, fruit and many other foods and experience them during their stay.

I would like to apologise for the service you experienced in Hu Tong. I have passed along your comments to their management and have been assured they will follow up with their staff.

Its great you got to see and feel what Melbourne is really about. Next time you are in Australia, we would love to have you back.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

It has been a long time since I have taken the time to write about a hotel but this hotel is worth that time. I have wanted to try an Art Series Hotel for awhile as I often stay in upmarket hotels frequently throughout Melbourne and the World for business and leisure.
Firstly the staff, nothing was too much trouble, they were ALL so genuine and friendly. From assisting me with my bags, helping me work out the key and bringing room service. The hotel itself is edgy and interesting much more so than other 5* hotels. No beige anywhere. Adam Cullens paintings and scultpures are dotted throughout the place and bring it to life!

The Hotel was generous enough to give me an upgrade to the Growler Suite (there penthouse) which considering I booked a basic room on Wot if and had not ever stayed there before was a delightful surprise. The room was magnificent but also more importantly for me very homey with art books and an open gas fire place, small kitchenette and fabulously comfy bed. The courtyard outside was lovely with spectacular views of Melbourne and Prahran. (Would be perfect for Summer drinks!).

The Room Service was excellent with my friend and I choosing to have dinner in our room before going out for the evening. There is also a great Dim Sum resturant next to the hotel and lots and lots of other dining options nearby as well as Chapel Street and the Prahran market for fab shopping.

I found myself leaving The Cullen thinking two things- firstly how relaxed I felt after just one night and secondly when I will be able to return for another stay! Thank you to all the staff for making my experience so special!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review.

I'm glad you finally made it to an Art Series Hotel after wanting to stay for a while. As a group, we are certainly trying not to build 'beige' hotels and I think The Cullen does this very well (in fact there is not a hint of beige anywhere in the property).

Im thrilled you enjoyed your experience with The Cullen staff and our Growler Penthouse. All of the guys take an interest in the guests of the hotel and aim to learn a little bit about each person they encounter. It pleases me you got to experience this genuine approach to service we pride ourselves on.

I look forward to seeing you back at The Cullen next time you are visiting Melbourne.

Warmest Regards,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I selected this hotel on the basis of its "Arts focus" and wanted a different experience. And wasn't disappointed at all. The stay was during the busy F1 weekend. The property is decked with Adam Cullen's unique artwork, and a few other intriguing pieces! The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, as you would expect in MEL. The location was just off Chapel street - a big plus. The room was ok in size, but got a bit cramped with the baby cot....lower floors are prone to noise from the street traffic and evening (party) crowds. The restaurant food/breakfast was very nice. Overall, a great experience for both 'arty-fartys' and the regular tourist.

Room Tip: Book in advance & connect in Facebook
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Visiting Melbourne during the F1 is quite an experience! The city is alive with energy and, being just down the road from the action, you can practically hear the exceitment from the hotel.

Im glad you and your family enjoyed your time at The Cullen. Regarding the room, we do have varying types and sizes of room available in case you require extra space. We can also accommodate families at the rear of the hotel which overlooks the park next door. These rooms are a little quieter than the city side with the windows open. Be sure to let reservations know your preferences and we will do our absolute best to accommodate.

It pleases me to hear you enjoyed the art work after booking with us for this particular element. We would love to welcome you back and will be happy to organise a tour with our Art Curator next time you stay.

Kindest Regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The art of Adam Cullen might not be exactly to your taste, and it is certainly not to mine, but I loved being in a hotel that had so much colour, character and felt so unique and well defined. In fact i came to love the massive & colourful painting of the dog in my room (There are artworks throughout the entire hotel .... a real celebration)

The Cullen is truely a boutique hotel. It is funky, it has flair, it absolutely feels like youre on holiday and treating yourself to something exciting ... and the staff are wonderfully attentive and professional. The rooms (I stayed in a basic Studio) are lovely ... big, clean, well stocked and i loved having a couch to flop on.

Personally I really like the location ... just around the corner from all the cafe's , clubs and restaurants of Chapel St. and bang on the tram line for a qquick entry to either the city or out to St Kilda.

Unique, fun and prfessional ... I will certainly stay there again.

M.

Room Tip: I booked on Wotif and got a great deal
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay, its fantastic to hear from someone who took the time to embrace all we have to offer.

Adam Cullen's art is bold, bright and can certainly be confronting. With 450 works throughout the property, there is certainly something to look at. All artworks are available in print if a particular painting takes your fancy. 'Growler', the work you enjoyed in your room is one of our most popular and depicts Adam's dog.

Its great to hear you got out of the hotel and experienced the local area, the guys on the front desk are always happy to point you in the right direction should you need a prompt.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cullen when you next want to escape Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I wanted a quick but relaxing overnight getaway with my partner for all the reasons above - we both lead very busy lives and whilst I work in the industry and stay in many hotels, the Cullen is just so not a hotel in the normal sense. The Cullen especially is warm, friendly, has great facilities and is right in the heart of Prahran which means, food, fun, wine and frivolity at the pace you choose it to be.

Hutong, well what can I say to that, fabulous, or for a relaxing wine and a chat the hotel restaurant is the place to be.

For us is was more room service, a glass of wine and a hand full of movies we had been wanting to get to that we never did.

Perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.......

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your honest review, its always great to host fellow people from within the industry.

Im thrilled you enjoyed your 'overnight getaway from the day to day pressures', this is exactly what we love to provide. We do comprise two wonderful restaurants within the hotel, however like you said, if its wine and a movie you are after we have that too. Don't forget we are always updating our film list, be sure to check out the next missed blockbuster when we see you again.

Front Office Manager

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!