“Good restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Port Campbell
Belgrade, Serbia
“Good restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I did not stay in the hotel / I went to the restaurant only. I had excellent fish and chips, and salad there. The fish was very good, very fresh, and not heavy at all. I came at 10pm when other restaurants were already closed, and was pleasantly surprised that to see this restaurant still open and providing a good meal. It looked pretty clean, with a number of other guests. Price was ok, pretty high, as everywhere in Australia. Port Campbell is small and nice. I enjoyed this evening, especially being tired after spending a day driving along the Great Ocean Road.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was very much a hit and miss experience. For breakfast my husband enjoyed the Waves cooked breakfast. Unfortunately my fruit toast was ordinary - it was basically 2 pieces of tip top cafe style raisin toasts for $6! Giving them the benefit of the doubt we ventured out to Waves again for dinner that night - this time I picked the Waves special spaghetti marina thinking perhaps I should stick to the house special. Sadly I picked the wrong menu item again! I just picked at some of the seafood and left the rest of the dish. Fortunately my husband's ocean trout was perfectly cooked and delicious.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Been there in Feb 2012, w/o reservation in Port Campbell, so I was looking around where to sleep and ended up in this hotel.

Had a very very nice room w/ a biiiiiig jacuzi next to the bed (+ additional bathroom). Everything was quite nice and clean, but in my opionon a bit overpriced, but still liked it....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My partner and I recently ate at the Waves restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The food was nice and the setting couldnt be better.
Port Campbell is a lovely little town tucked away in a quiet corner of the Great Ocean Road.
The service is good and food to match.
Recommended

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, VIC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Centre of town location; car park separates accommodation from the restaurant. Beach yellow+blue decor, daggy but OK. New, clean, tidy. No beach views.

• Stayed January 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This accommodation is at the back of a restaurant. The carpark is very tight and the surrounding outer area and entry to the building is uninviting. The room itself was outdated for the $190 pricetag we paid for 1 night. It has early 90's decor. I would expect an LCD or plasma TV now days, rather they had an old/small sized TV. The toilet floor had obviously not been vacuumed and the shower went from hot to cold intermittently for no particular reason in our room. The outside patio is overgrown with shrubs and the only view (as I am on the bottom floor) is the huge house next door blocking everything. The main reception area is very squashy and in a side door off the restaurant. Not very inviting at all for first impressions. I would not pay anymore than $100 if I was to ever stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at the Waves Port Campbell: December 7 -9 , 2010.

I arrived early evening after a 'white knuckles' drive thru a rainstorm in the mountains on the Great Ocean Road. The young man who checked me wasn't exactly 'professional', but friendly enough. My room was ready upon arrival.

The room, while basic and straightforward in its design and decor, was very spacious and clean. I had no trouble sleeping the first night (although the continuing rainstorm probably has alot to do with it!) The second night I unfortunately had an elderly gentleman staying in the room beneath me and he had the television on very loud, not to mention his voice, which could be heard thru the floor. I turned on the a/c unit to negate the noise, and then he went to bed by 10:30PM. I am mentioning this just to let you know that the rooms are not soundproof. But that was my only incident, and it was a quiet stay otherwise.

Breakfasts were more than substantial. Large quantity, good food.

The manager was very friendly and informative. She was very pleasant to talk to.

There are no frills here. A basic, straightforward hotel. But seeing as it was clean and centrally located, I can't imagine what other hotel or town would be better suited as a base to explore the Great Ocean Road.

I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Waves? Share your experiences!