“Good value and full of atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne
268 Mountjoy Parade, Lorne, Victoria 3232, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lorne
Australia
“Good value and full of atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The hotel has a great location at the end of the town opposite the pier. Rooms are clean and comfortable, if somewhat small. Hotel has a lovely bar and the staff are very friendly. Good value and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room with a view is very nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GPHLorne, General Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Richie1010
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your time at our beautiful hotel. Hope to see you again soon in beautiful Lorne.
Bryce Newcombe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
NewZealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Travelling the GOR we stopped in Lorne for 3 nights, booking a one bedroom apartment. On our arrival we were greeted by friendly & welcoming staff & upgraded to a 2 bed, ocean view apartment which was spacious, sunny & comfotable.Each evening on our balcony while we enjoyed wine & prawns { these bought from the seafood shop at the Pier which is just across the road} we were entertained by the local bird life. Lovely walk into Lorne along the beach path watching the surfers. Close to many tourist spots. Day trip to Apollo Bay , also visited Erskine Falls, Wye, Didn't bother eating out as it was so relaxing watching the World go by after a great day. Would definately recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: If staying a few days get an apartment. These are quiet & spacious & Lorne has a good local...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rarokin
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed our apartments and everything the Great Ocean Road has to offer. Yes the hotel is just out of town so lovely and quiet and using Lorne as a base to discover the Great Ocean Road is fantastic. We have so much wild life in Lorne, a couple of weeks ago we had a Koala walk up to the front door during dinner service, a real treat for our guests. Hope to see you again on your next trip to Australia.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

As a couple traveling along the Great Ocean Road we decided to break up our trip with a stay in Lorne . Booked the Pacific Grand on Wotif for a very good price .On arrival we were pleasantly surprised at being upgraded to a King Spa room . Room was very spacious and clean . Bed was very comfortable .View was amazing from our room .Service was very friendly and efficient .We would definately recommend this hotel and would stay again .

Stayed April 2012
Dear Susan G
Thank you for writing your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes the views from our King Rooms are wonderful and as we have just had our 1st whale sighting of the season they have got even better. Hope to see you in Lorne again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We booked online via wotif for a significant discount and arrived late afternoon on a Thursday. The hotel is in a great spot, overlooking the ocean and the pier, but it is showing its age. The room was clean, but small, and the bathroom is tiny. There is no shelf space to rest a toiletries bag and the shower was a trickle of intermittent hot water. We had a Queen room on the second floor, requiring a hike up the stairs. The balcony wraps around the outside of the rooms, so privacy could be an issue if people park themselves outside your room to take in the view. Lying in bed watching the sun rise over the ocean was a treat however.

Room Tip: An east facing room may have people sitting outside your bedroom window on the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen T
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in beautiful Lorne. We have many styles of rooms and apartments that range from doubles to king spas in the main hotel and 1 bedroom to 3 bedroom in the Apartments. Hope to see you in Lorne again soon.
Whangarei, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were not impressed with this accommdation. It was dirty, the toilet bowl hadn't been cleaned and there were dead and live creatures throughout the apartment. It was booked for 5 and we were only given towels etc for 2. They did supply us with more when we asked. We complained about the uncleaniness on departure and their response was, "you should have told us and we would have cleaned it." Surely it should be cleaned after visitors leave or before new ones arrive. We were there for a wedding and other people there for the same wedding had the same problem. They need to step up their cleaning service or actually have one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Travelsnake53
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, I hope you enjoyed your night at the wedding you attended. I remember the conversation and the point I was making was that if you had told us you were unhappy on day one of could have fixed the problem as opposed to staying unhappy for three days and leaving disgruntled. So I apologise for not explaining the comment properly. We constantly strive to improve our hotel so thank you for bringing your concerns forward.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The first time I viewed the Grand Pacific, was the first day I ever caught a wave, in 1976. Lorne was a much quieter place then, and without benefit of a freeway, a distant destination. After moving the the USA, I dropped back in, in 1995. The Grand Pacific was still perched regally on the hill, but the rot has set in, with the eyesore pink Cumberland resort. Finally got back to the Grand Pacific. flew into Tulamarine airport, and as promised by googlemaps, I was out the front of the Grand in 2 hours exactly. I didn't recognize the commercialized coast on the drive, but there was no mistaking the magisterial view from the patio out front. Bags could wait, they stayed in the car for a few hours. As a San Diegan, i am a beer snob, and was pleasantly surprised by the locally brewed Spiny, on tap. Surprised quite a few times, as the afternoon unwound. After 2 sad airline meals, the day got even better, as I tucked into the Surf n Turf. Prime Otway beef, and jeez, who often does a Seppo score a Morton Bay Bug?
By now tired and content, I got my bags and ambled up to room 26. For a hotel that has offered accommodation over a century or 2, it still retains its charm and ambiance. Others may have made the mistake of forcing the Grand into the 21st century, but common sense has prevailed, and an understated elegance awaits. All this before I even looked out the window!! The upstairs balcony has the most glorious views of the town, the ocean, and the pier. Any thought of a nap went out the window, and so did I, as I went camera crazy snapping the sensational sunset. Wait until you see these. Sundown on a Sunday night, and I went downstairs to dine again. I'd walked into town, but really, how could I not sit in this grand old pub, and watch the moon shimmy off the ocean, while throwing down a pizza, with a few more beers? It got better. Caught the staff watching the cricket, and invited myself to join them.
Time to hit the sack, with the sound of the ocean ever present, on a comfy bed. Granted, sleeping in is nice, but the wraparound balcony affords you a sunrise as well as a sunset! Surely they would slide the decimal point across, on my bill, if they knew how delirious I was. Run the camera battery down as surely as the Indians had done to Australia, in the cricket, the night before.
Now, I mentioned Lorne has lost a little luster. Well, if you walk out the hotel door, and saunter to the right, you have the Lorne untouched by the commerce. A pier to walk, and quiet little beachlets, away from the maddening crowds, fully festooned, with ancient rock formations, framed by the verdant forest. Alas, it was time to go, one night was all I had allotted. I kept heading west, and the Grand Pacific set a mighty standard, on what ended up being my greatest solo vacation. Thank you, Paul and staff.

Room Tip: Room 26 has the most amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Bill D
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and what a wonderful review it is. I agree with all your comments and are very proud of beautiful Lorne, the Great Ocean Road and our wonderful old hotel. Hope to see you again in Lorne on your next visit to Australia.
MELBOURNE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I havent stayed at the hotel but I have eaten at the restaurant a number of times now and I am always disappointed. The service is terrible. Very unprofessional. I always suggest people go elsewhere. Shame because its a fabulous location and amazing views with a lovely ambience .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear GINGERTWIG
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Whilst I take your points on board I don't agree with them and the feedback I get on a daily basis suggests that the product we offer is much better than what you portray. We have just released our Autumn menu and the response has been fantastic. We have recommenced our traditional Afghan night (Thursdays) to rave reviews, an amazing blend of tastes and flavors. Our service is casual yes but definitely not unprofessional. And I agree the views are amazing and dining in a property built in 1875 is a treat. I hope you do return to the Grand Pacific Hotel and I get the opportunity to welcome you and discuss your concerns because it is my goal to make the Grand Pacific Hotel the best hotel on the Great Ocean Road.
Bryce Newcombe

Been to Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne? Share your experiences!