“A great holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Great Ocean Road Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lorne
Great Ocean Road Cottages
You added Great Ocean Road Cottages to your Saves list
10 Erskine Ave. (P.O. Box 60), Lorne, Victoria 3232, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Lorne
Melbourne, Australia
“A great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I travelled down to Lorne for schoolies and this was the perfect place to stay. The people who run the place were excellent in catering to our needs and provided us with the utmost care and respect during our stay. They were great in making sure we felt safe during our stay. As a bonus, the wildlife in the area adds to the relaxing experience that this place provides.

Room Tip: The cottage kitchens are not as decked out as the community kitchen, so if you plan to cook up a sto...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

I probably should've picked up on management not having good attention to detail when I rang to book & the lady I spoke to assumed I wanted to stay at the backpackers, which I had no idea was affiliated. The cabins (which are priced like a plush hotel) are run more poorly than some backpacker hostels I've stayed at in the past.
I can understand how some people found management endearing on a personal level (like Aunty Pam & Uncle Roger at a suburban bbq) but on a professional level they are clearly not.
I had asked if we did happen to arrive prior to 2pm could we check in & was told no one was staying in our cabin the night before so call just before arrival & should be fine. Well we called a few times & no one answered (never great sign in business. Mobile redirection does exist, you're missing business without it!) So we parked in the visitors area & noticed the sign that the office wouldn't be occupied until 2pm so went for a walk. There was also a very large, very rowdy group taking up the communal lawn area who we were hoping would quiet down by the time we returned so we could have a tranquil stay.
When we returned one of the owners emerged from the group on the lawn when we went to the office, & it was made clear (by the trail of children if it hadn't been said) that this group were their family. Managing family when they get noisy can be difficult at the best of times but it was as though the customer was secondary & we were intruding on their space to drink & be merry.
Finally reaching our cabin it was great to see a koala in the tree right next to us & feed king parrots & sulphur crested cockies, but the cabin didn't meet expectations. Fridge was so iced up that the door had broken. Dusty with cobwebs tucked everywhere, I slept halfway down the bed to avoid the bedhead. I found a pubic hair on the sheets although they did appear clean otherwise. Multiple old used soaps covered in other peoples hair in the shower. A sign in the kitchen asking for visitors to leave the place as found which, teamed with the soap collection in the shower made us doubt how often they actually clean the cabins if you've left it ok for them.
To improve I would look at upping the professionalism, attention to detail and remember your guests are paying good money for your hospitality, so take care of them. Don't coast along on the natural features alone as there are loads of equally idyllic places to stay in the area for much better quality & value.

• Stayed October 2011
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I made an online inquiry from this webpage, http://www.greatoceanroadcottages.com/ about cost for two nights, Thurs, Fri. I received a prompt response stating that a family room was available for $140. I figured this was the price for the cottage, as the website the inquiry was sent from, was about cottages, not, YHA accomodation. The messenger stated that if we were YHA members the price would be $120. As I had previously stayed in these cottages I didn't expect to be designated a backpacker room that was a loft room without a bathroom and kitchen but with a towering ladder staircase for access, not ideal for my 3 year old.

I went to the office to rectify the confusion and was then placed into the cottage I had expected to be in for only $20 extra. Credit to the manager for sorting this out quickly as we were able to enjoy a great two days in Lorne. He did however add that the price of the cottages was $200 per night, this is contrary to the pricing on the webpage, so it really needs to be updated.

Oh... and on the second day we lost our key. When we went to the office, to declare, but it was closed. I had a look at the door and windows for access and discovered the aluminium door would simply slide open after lifting it half an inch, hardly the security you can expect from a cottage priced at $200 per night.

We paid an extra $20 dollars to replace a key that is not really needed in the first place....oh well. Bit more care with the cleaning would go a long way.....Management needs to take more care.

Room Tip: Loft stairs are really hard to climb, and dangerous for young children.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My stay was most enjoyable. The surrounds are majestic and intriguing with beautiful bird life. I actually saw a Koala. I am impressed by the cleanliness of the toilet and shower facilities and kitchen. The backpacker facilities are very clean and comfortable. While I was staying in Lorne I actually broke my foot which resulted in me having to extend my stay. While I was recuperating the Management of Great Ocean Roads Cottages went out of their way and were most caring and considerate. I found both managers to be accommodating, and considerate with a very good sense of humor. I have read the other reviews and I am dishearten by the callous nature that some people go to bring a good person into disrespect. Your perception of this person were tainted by your own personal ego. If you had any kindness of heart and did actually see this person a sleep as you have described in so much detail why didn't you have the decency to cover him in a blanket or wake him. I personally know the dedicated hours and hard work this manager places into maintaining and running this establishment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

Rusting guttering, grimy remote controls, missing utensils, poor heating and indifferent staff.
This place could be really special but I think the owners just don't care. The Cockatoos that cane visiting showed more interest in us..

• Stayed August 2011
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed one night in a good sized cabin. There was no fireplace, just a heater which took a very long time to heat the place. There were dead bugs all over the bathroom, including in the sink and shower. The slection of movies to rent was not very good.
We stayed down the road in a brand new suite the next night for the same price, and no bugs.
The front desk fellow was very friendly.
It was neat seeing the birds come to your deck and eat bird seed, however they are very loud and can be aggressive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Eltham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to have a girly week-end away.....some time out from the madness of Melbourne.
We ended up staying at the Great Ocean Road cottages and it was absolutely fabulous. The management were very friendly and really informative about what to do in the area...places to eat etc.
The cottages were gorgeous........I had the best night sleep! We felt like we were in the bush with the beautiful gardens, trees and bird life and the cottage was clean and cosy.
We simply left the car in our carspot and walked to the lorne shops and restaurants, drank good wine, ate good food thanks to the recomendation of the management and then strolled back to our cottage.
What a fantastic place for a get away. I can't wait to come back and bring my kids and husband for a family holiday.
Great accomodation and very reasonably priced.
Thanks for a wonderful stay :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Great Ocean Road Cottages? Share your experiences!