“Another Comfort Inn Flop” 3 of 5 stars

Comfort Inn Lorne Bay View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Bay Street, Lorne, Victoria 3232, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 9 hotels in Lorne
Melbourne
“Another Comfort Inn Flop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

No wecome by Sue-Front desk, if you can even get her to listen or attend as she is with child in arms all the time and has little time to greet and advise. This must be the only motel where there are no phones in room. When I asked why, I was told everyone has a cell phone. I replied but if I dont and as the desk is only manned from 0800 to 2000 What happens in an emergency. She replied well why would I need a phone. I said in an emergency! Bad response, go to public phone 200 metres down street. I asked for tourist info on Lorne again told to go to tourist office 800 meteres away as it's only a small place( Mind you its the nicest town on the Great Ocean Road) No help. I think she dislikes guests. I called Choice privilidges and advised of her attitude. There were hardly any guests there so I'm not surprised. I am getting fed up with Comfort Inn brand of Choice in Australia. The room was not Vacuumed whilst we were there . The room ( de luxe spa had cobwebs on windows that had not been cleaned.The Spa was also not cleaned after I used it and I dont know if it had been before). The passsage outside room was enclosed and again windows were covered in creepy crawlies webs on the outside and honestly due to the dead insects, had not been cleaned for I don't know when. I used my reward points for this stay and am glad I didnt have to pay. Rate should of been AU$170.00. per night A rip offf for mid week winter rates when most restaurants in the area were closed for the period we were there. Getting any thing done as no phones to reception was not worth the trouble.Make sure if you have a deluxe room , you ask for cooking utensils as they were'nt in room. I was told at check out I should of asked for them at check in.( Great as with a person like Sue you don't ask for anything). The desk was never maintained unless you knocked on door marked private or rang the bell, which she doesn,t like you to do. Her child is more important than the Guest. On checking out which I really wanted to do early was her husband . A very nice person and completely different to Sue. I would recommend now the Lorne Hotel -reasonable rates (hotel rooms only). many appartments and I wish I had checked as there is a Mantra hotel there. I went there to check it out for my next visit and it was like Paradise on Earth. Please check thourougly accomodation before stopping in Lorne. You do need a car as V/Line operate a 3 times a day Rail/Coach connection from Melbourne Mon- Fri Twice SAT/Sun but that is the only transportation.The standard of Victorian Roads are appauling and as I am one I know. I'll propbably need a wheel alignement now. I have 1 more Comfort Inn booked as no Quality or Clarion where Im going. In fact I think after the last 2 stays I'll stay at the Holiday Inn or Mantra. Sorry to be so negative but as a retired travel agent I only tell the truth and learn from my mistakes. Have a pocket of cash in Lorne as it one of the most expensive places for food in Australia I have ever been to.!! Wish you well. Must also say there is no cooked breakfast available to room on rack rates only hot beverages and toast with condiments.

Room Tip: Can't really say as we had a de-luxe spa and only saw the rear of the buiding in front.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
mainlorne, Manager at Comfort Inn Lorne Bay View, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
When something goes wrong, we take guest complaints very seriously. However it is hard to take this guest seriously when EVERYTHING was wrong !!! (particularly when he wasnt even paying for the room !)
We host over 4000 guests each year. Many of our guests are either return guests, or word of mouth. On departure many guests comment favourably on the modern look and cleanliness of the rooms, and the service they receive.
On departure this guest did not express any concerns to me. It is a pity that he has now found the courage to create a disparaging epistle (about everything, including the state of the roads!!) in the comfort of his own home.
Ok, we cant please all of the people all of the time, but we certainly do please most of the people,most of the time.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Couldn't believe it cost us an additional $52 dollars to stay here for one night - just to sleep! Nothing like the quality of the other Comfort Inns we experienced whilst staying in Australia.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were upgraded to a really nice, big roomy room on the ground floor. Owner was very nice and helpful. Couple of dodge things marred it a bit, (broken toilet roll holder, very slippery bathroom floor) but overall it was pretty good. Very cleann and next to the over rated Lorne Hotel. Not at all impressed with the pub, on the grotty side, staff don't wipe up slops, no atmosphere. Walk and extra 7 minutes up to the Grand Pacific for fab food and drinks. You won't get ripped off there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We checked in around 5pm after a long day, the lady at reception was quite friendly. We paid $140 for the room. The room was not very clean with hair in the bathroom and stains on the carpet. Spa jets are in need of an upgrade. I do not recommed this hotel for longer stays than one night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

When we arrived we were frankly scolded for not knowing check-in was at 2pm. There is nothing stated on their site (that I could find, therefore not stated clearly) but they were practically empty and could "allow" us to use the room early even though on the online booking you could state your time of arrival.
The room was rather spacious but with mold in the bathroom, one of the blinds broken and an abundance of stains on the comforter (it turned into a game of "identify the stain").
The bed was rather comfy, we double checked the sheets were clean and they seemed fine.
There was very low signal to the motel's wireless. I'm assuming it was due to being on the ground floor, although for $20 minimum access i doubt it would be worth it.
I'm grateful the room was only for one night and just for us to sleep and continue our journey.
I would not return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
leeds - england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Booked this because we were staying close to Xmas and it was the only place that didn't insist on a 2 night minimum stay.....wasn't expecting much but it was great, really nice room, sea view, great location.

I'd happily go again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

After a driving down to the beginning of the Great Ocean Road, we were delighted to come across Lorne - what a beautiful spot! We decided to stay here our first night, and ended up staying three nights, after discovering the magnificent bushland 10 minutes from the beach.

The Motel was fine - everything you'd expect from a value-for -money stay, and we were happy to have a spa at the end of a long day walking in the bush. We saw lots of pretty birds, kangaroos, and even two koalas!!

We loved Lorne, and we'll be back, for sure!!

• Liked — Convenient, easy access to nature
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn Lorne Bay View? Share your experiences!