“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 32 Restaurants in Lorne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: “We are a collection of passionate food loving, wine drinking, flavour fanatics. We love and use local, fresh, seasonal & sustainable produce.Come in and share our obsession.”
Melbourne
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went with 40 people to this restaurant in February. After delicious tapas style entrees we thought the meal was over. 3 more mains were then brought out including a superb chicken dish and lamb cutlets. Everyone in our group was blown away by the quality and quantity of food. Brendan the restaurant manager could not have been more professional and friendly. All staff were terrific and the service prompt and friendly.

Visited February 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Very ordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked dinner here after reading the Tripadvisor reviews :-( We were shuffled to a very out of the way place at the back of the restaurant with lots of group bookings. The area was incredibly noisy. We asked for a table closer to the front of house but they were all booked apparently (we'd booked 5 days in advance too but had obviously drawn the short straw). When we left (after about an hour) there were still vacant front of house tables.

Our shared entre was an unremarkable pan seared piece of fish, a scallop and some softshell crab. Pretty hard to stuff up. Mains, my wife had steak and I had duck curry. Her steak was cooked well enough but was a sub-standard piece of meat. My Thai Duck Red-Curry was watery and the duck fatty and chewy. I could easily have cooked better. We skipped desert.

Wine list was very good but the "by the glass" selection, for a restaurant that claims to take wine very seriously, was a disappointment.

Overall, very disappointing. We'd had lunch at Marks earlier the same day, and was on another level. Go there.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Coolangatta, Australia
“Very Nice Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Had the seafood platter for 2, everything on there tasted brilliant, the Bruschetta was slightly overcooked, but everything was fresh and delicious. Dessert tasting plate was pretty good, not amazing but tasty. Id give it 8.5/10 and would return. Staff were quick and made you feel welcome.

australia
“First class food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We popped in on the Maple Tree last night, and managed to sneak in just before a part of 20+, so we ordered quickly. The atmosphere was nice, though nothing amazing.
The service, including one key waitress, a German lady, and one other was attentive and caring. We told her we wanted to eat and get out before the large party orders hit the kitchen, having been stuck for hours in similar situations before.

I had the whiting for the first course and it was as good as it gets. I would have it again tomorrow.

I'd read on Trip Advisor that the Eye fillet was fantastic and yes it was fantastic. It was bigger than my appetite so I had to leave some of the vegetables. My better half had the scallops and the duck curry. She describes the duck curry as being "the best duck curry I've ever had--tender and full of flavour." I had part of a scallop which was good but I've had as good before.

The only little disappointment was the tap water. I could barely drink it. Next time we'll order the branded water. We were offered the choice but, living 48 km's away in Apollo Bay where the water is about as good as it gets, I assumed Lorne would be the same. It is NOT.

Bottom line, we loved the food, the service and we will go back for sure.

“The Best in Lorne”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Food surpassed my expectations. The food was up there with top end restaurants in Melbourne. Wine list good. The pavlova chocolate was brilliant!

This is a hidden beauty!