“Not a pretty sight!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Continental Hotel Phillip Island

You added The Continental Hotel Phillip Island to your Saves list
The Continental Hotel Phillip Island
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 The Esplanade | PO Box 797, Cowes, Phillip Island, Victoria 3922, Australia   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Cowes
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a pretty sight!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was obviously once a very good hotel but time has left it well behind. It can be restored to presumably former glories but it will take an awful lot of Aussie Dollars to bring The Continental up to the standard expected by the modern traveller. This is a very tired establishment but what makes it so very disappointing is the fact that they are charging Top Dollar for mediocrity. Simply not good enough. My recommendation is simply stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
theconti59, Manager at The Continental Hotel Phillip Island, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thankyou for your review. The hotel itself was officially opened in 1976, we are currently undergoing renovations throughout the hotel, but as this is a destination in high demand particularly for accommodation and we are still in high season - we are limited in the amount of work we can undertake at any one time without causing disruption to Hotel operations. With that in mind, our location is one of very few in Cowes with absolute water frontage and despite your thoughts our prices are extremely affordable against our competitors.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had booked a oceanview standard room for one night. Despite previously reading poor reviews, I still chose to book this hotel with an open mind.
Our oceanview room had perhaps 20% view of the ocean and 80% view of a large bushy tree. I couldnt bathe my daughter due to the mould around the bath. The whole place feels incredibly old and cheap, but we paid $240 for ONE night.
On returning at night from the penguin parade, there was nowhere in the hotel carpark to park my car, so I was forced to park on the street in front of the hotel and carry my two sleeping children all the way to and up the stairs to our room. (No lifts).
The door to the room felt very flimsy and blew and shook with the wind. I felt quite unsafe sleeping there with such a poor locking mechanism.
Upon going upstairs to eat the included continental breakfast, I has to hold my 11 month old daughter on my lap as I tried to eat as the hotel only owns TWO high chairs.
Once someone had finished with one, it was bought to my table. It was very sticky and I saw food still stuck to it which is disgusting.
To top it off, I bought these matters to the attention of the receptionist on check out, but she seemed quite disinterested. So, I then emailed my concerns to the hotel itself. Three days later, I am yet to receive a reply.
Do yourself and your family a favour and book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Number one , don't book here. If you must book here, ask for a room with a view of the ocean, no...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thankyou for your feedback, I am sorry to hear of your disappointment in staying with us. Regarding you complaint email we are yet to receive this.
Southern Cross Victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Where do I start! This was the worst place I have ever stayed at. We paid $210 a night for a room that was just plain terrible. The apartment consisted of a lounge room that contained a sofa bed, you couldn't sit on it because it was to uncomfortable. T o watch the big old TV (digital top box on the top of it) we had to sit on the two hard chairs from the table. The bed was OK once we got to sleep, as there were apartments out the back (nothing to do with the hotel) that heaps of noise was coming from. Breakfast in the morning was included - continental - They would be better off not to provide the tray of stras/ham and cheese squares - no one I witnessed was confident in trying any. The hotel itself is in a prime location, but very very tired and dated. I am sure the staff would receive continuous negative feedback - It appears it is not being managed at all - all staff had all various types of dress on - no one in any sort of uniform - in the height of the tourist season. This hotel probably needs to be shut down for 6 months in the winter and revamped, and new management. We were extremely disappointed, and it is a shame that a hotel like that can wreck tourism for the Island. We wont be back!

Room Tip: My tip is do not accept a garden view room - Guest I spoke to also commented on how terrible the spa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over New Years with a couple of friends after being told we were to young to stay in the seahorse motel! Best decision ever made! Perfect location although rooms where probably not good value for money they were still okay for the night. Took us 2 min to walk to the main shops and beach not even. Got free continental breakfast in the morning. Beds where comfy fridge shower and bathroom plus little seating areas was all included. Don't go in having high expectations but was definitely surprised at how much better it looked than the pictures. Would be sure to stay here again if ever looking for cheaper acommidation in phillip island for the night. Don't listen to reviews make up your own mind :)

• Stayed December 2013
Thankyou very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and strongly believe that this site often misused by reviewers to attempt to almost defame or destroy reputations of businesses Australia wide. We hope you will stay with us again.
Foster, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Beautiful location, close to the beach. It's quiet...until the bar comes to life. The receptionist was nice enough to shift us to a quieter room away from the bar (I was travelling with family), though I did visit the place later at night when the silence became too boring.

It isn't awfully clean, and there's no wifi in room (at least, not in the one we were staying in). But all in all, it was a good decision to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thankyou so much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

we booked here overnight for my birthday, as we pulled up it looked very old and dated but we thought it may be ok inside. Having seen previous reviews we asked for a room far away from the bar area as its very noisy, we were the furthest away so we couldnt hear any noise from the bar thankfully!
The parking was pretty average.
Our room was ok, very clean but the bathroom was very old in need of some TLC/Upgrade.
We found the matress to be very uncomfortable tho.
Fantastic view overlooking the water was a positive, but if i had the choice again to stay here i probably would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: ask for a room far away from the bar
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Warragul, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I bought a voucher after having a quick look at the company website and forgetting to check trip advisor, it was to be a 2 night escape in a spa room, the spa looked bad and we didn't dare use it, the place was noisy with a fight taking place in the street around midnight, the continental breakfast was poor with several of the glasses offered for juices clearly dirty and all in all we decided to check out after only the one night! We were not even able to watch any decent TV with an old analogue CRT set and no ability to see the digital channels or use our movie player.

Room Tip: The Executive Spa Rooms are spacious enough with a brilliant view, just run down. Personally I would...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Continental Hotel Phillip Island? Share your experiences!