“I'm sorry but I have to agree with the negative reviews.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Castle Villa by the Sea

You added The Castle Villa by the Sea to your Saves list
The Castle Villa by the Sea
7-9 Steele Street | Phillip Island, Cowes, Phillip Island, Victoria 3922, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Cowes
Melbourne, Victoria
“I'm sorry but I have to agree with the negative reviews.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed here some time ago. I wasn't going to write a review for this property but after reading some of the recent comments made by the owner when they have recieved negative comments, I think I'd better put my 2 cents in.

Firstly, just because you have booked online 'last minute' does not mean you are not entitled to what you paid for at the time of booking. Just because someone booked after you and offered more $$ does not mean that you get stuck with 'what they have left'. This happened to us too. We were advised we would have 'The Terrace' but on arrrival were told the room was 'no longer available'. Very disappointing to say the least.

We were not happy at all and when we conveyed this to the lady she could not have cared less. The room we got was ok, but not what we were expecting.

I also draw attention to the lack of privacy in this place and I'm afraid I have to agree that it's not an ideal place for a 'romantic weekend' if you get my point!! No, I don't need towels right now, please leave them outside!!! After this interruption, it kind of ruined any romance as we were scared she was gonna come back.

I think this property owner needs to realise that we the customer would:

a: Like to recieve what we paid for.

b. Would appreciate PRIVACY

c. Needs to take constructive criticism better and LEARN from it without getting so
defensive. (Just makes you look guilty)

Look, I'm not saying this place is awful. Just saying that if you appreciate privacy and an honest host (with regard to your room allocation), you may be better off looking elsewhere. I'm sorry but we won't be back.

Happy Travels.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
willywagtail, Owner at The Castle Villa by the Sea, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
We are sorry you were disappointed you were unable to occupy your room of choice and contary to your belief "more $ $" does not come into the equation.
We are not a large corporate hotel having only 4 apartments and 2 bedroom suites.
We are obliged to those who book direct with us to give them 1st choice of the suite or apartment they require, those that book thru agents are placed as required - as was the case here
Harley & Jenni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stay at the Castle on Phillip Island for a short getaway. It is perfect, I love the guest sitting room, comfy sofas and pillows. For me the main attraction on the island are the beaches, after a day at the beach it is lovely to come back to the Castle, it has a lovely warm, welcoming atmosphere and the hosts are delightful. The property is large enough to allow as much privacy as you need but small enough to be friendly and personal. I would certainly recommend it for those wanting a short revitalising holiday not too far from Melbourne. p.s. if you are after four boxy walls of an international chain this place would not suit you - it is unique and a little quirky.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Harley & Jenni
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Have just returned from a very relaxing stay at The Castle and couldn't be happier. Booked as a surprise for our anniversary, planned to only stay 2 nights but enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed 4! Host Jenni, went out her way with my special requests and was extremely helpful. We loved the room and the gorgeous gardens and of course the delish breakfast in bed :) We feel sad to read the disappointing reviews and actually wondered if they stayed in same place! Will definitely be back.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your review - we look forward to you return
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

not good......5 stars?????? no way!!!!!!!!! unlit paths to get to our room..dangerous and just not acceptable.....had confirmation we had The Terrace...and arrival told we had The Gallery...very sub standard...dingy...dark...damp...definately got taken for a ride.......don't pay till u have seen the room...3 stars tops........very ordinary breakfast.....do NOT pay up front ..make sure you are getting what you have paid for....I tell it how it is...and this place stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am happy to pay top rates for top rooms.........but a shower setup that I find hard to believe would have council approval...an open cess pit at best.........very very yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
go elsewhere

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
willywagtail, Owner at The Castle Villa by the Sea, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
To TripAdvisor
Regardless to your stated guide lines you have assisted in defaming and tarnishing our hard worked business - we do not agree with your response as the review, according to our lawyers is defamatory and offered without substance of proof and we find it totally immoral.
We are forwarding all relevant details on this matter to KwikChex

My response to the review:

I am rather loathe to reply to this review as it seems to reduce me to the level of this person
It should be said that this is the second review posted by this person, incredibly the first was allowed to be posted by Trip Advisor – it contained the most slanderous and vitriolic statements directed to my wife and contained text that was defamatory to us and our business, after vigorous complaint the first review was subsequently removed by Trip Advisor
The descriptive text used by this person certainly, in our mind, indicates a person of imbalance as it in no way describes the ambiance of this suite and is in no way as he describes.
His descriptions are most clearly defamatory to us and our business however Trip Advisor abides by its authenticity and has refused our request to have it removed
We can only assume the cause of his vitriolic ramblings was caused by the fact that he was unable to occupy the suite first chosen – it was the weekend of The World Super Bike Championships and thru circumstances totally beyond our control we were unable to accommodate this person in the suite first chosen
He was transferred to The Garden Suite which frankly is our most requested suite and for those curious can be viewed on our web site
We are not a hotel of 100 rooms – we have only 5 suites and at times it is a juggle, as was the case that weekend
At no stage thru the weekend were we informed of his displeasure
I have requested of Trip Advisor to have this review taken off in its entirety but they have refused my request stating it falls within there guide lines; however the damage has been done and this person may now gloat in his achievement, that through the vehicle of Trip advisor he has been able to tarnish the reputation of our business
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

peace and quiet no children around, close to beach and restaurants.
i did expect more in need of a reno

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your review - Sorry you found the bed not to your liking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Room was quirky and charming and bed comfortable. Location is central, but for this price I would expect more. Venue claims on site parking, but guests need to compete for the 2-3 poorly laid out car spaces, or park on the street. Only cheap sachet coffee is provided and uhf milk. A coffee plunger,real milk and a box of tissues would require a small effort. Walls are thin and other guests can be heard.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you for your review - We have attended to the matters of complaint.
Re the carpark, there are 6 carpark spaces for guests, however we try we have no control over how people use the spaces
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I just got back from another stay at the Castle and had to put pen to paper. This was the third time we had been there and we will keep going back. The hosts, Jenni and Harley, remembered us and had a bottle of champagne waiting in the room which was a lovely way to be welcomed. Jenni also prepared some soup for us as we were cold when we got in and this really warmed us up! We can never fault the service which is why we will keep returning to our favourite place on the island!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your nice words and we look forward to you return
Jenni & Harley

Been to The Castle Villa by the Sea? Share your experiences!