“A great cruise watching whales and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wildlife Coast Cruises

Wildlife Coast Cruises
Cowes Jetty Rotunda | 11-13 the Esplanade, Cowes, Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia
+61 3 5952 3501
and up
Phillip Island Seal-Watching Cruise
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Cowes
More attraction details
Owner description: Wildlife Coast Cruises is an environmentally accredited business which operates around the beautiful waters of Phillip Island and Wilson's Promontory. The wide range of cruises include trips to Seal Rocks, Twilight Bay Cruises, Lunch Cruises, Winter Whale Cruises and more. The flagship is the Kasey Lee, a state of the art catamaran 65 feet in length, manned by friendly and professional crew who are happy to care for and entertain you along your journey.
Melbourne, Australia
“A great cruise watching whales and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Wildlife Coast cruises put on a special cruise to circumnavigate Phillip Island. They did this because the sea was forecast to be quite calm and this is the time of the year when whales are often around. We were very lucky to meet up with 2 Humpback whales, and later a third. The whales were very curious and came right up to the boat. We had great views of these massive creatures. Then after a while they put on a great display of tail-slapping - someone said there were more than a hundred displays . Everyone got great photos.
Then we cruised past Seal Rocks and saw the large colony of Australian Fur Seals there. The rest of the journey saw us go along the south coast of Phillip Island, then under the bridge between San Remo and Newhaven , then back to Cowes. On the way we also saw an albatross and a dolphin, which surfed along right in front of the boat. It was a brilliant day.
The boat is well-equipped and comfortable and the staff are very friendly, experienced and enthusiastic. The cruise to Seal Rocks is on regularly, but whales are not guaranteed!

Visited July 2011

Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Horrible Company - Didn't Deliver & Refused to Refund”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We came to Philip Island from Queensland to see the penguins and thought we would also go on a Seal Cruise with this company while there. We booked our tickets ahead of time, booked the "super special" so they were $45 each. Well, the day before our trip we were told that it would probably be cancelled due to weather, and they confirmed it the next day. When I asked about a refund, they said that since I had purchased the advance tickets that I couldn't get a refund, but I could take another seal cruise in the next 3 months (the cruise was on our last day, we would have had to fly back to Melbourne or go on a cruise to look at Cape Wooloomai that same day (which I had no interest in doing, I wanted to see seals).

I ended up doing a chargeback through my credit card company because they didn't deliver on what I paid for and tried convincing me they're allowed to do it. Frankly it smells of taking advantage of foreign tourists that don't necessarily know that you're not allowed not delivering and still taking people's money.

Visited April 2011
jrd_50, Manager at Wildlife Coast Cruises, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
The Seal Cruises offer amazing wildlife experiences with thousands of seals only meters away, and the back up Cape Cruise which offers amazing scenery along with regular dolphin & seal sights as well. As the Seal Watching Cruise operates into open waters, it can be canceled at times due to sea conditions, the cheap tickets mentioned in the review (Super saver) are only transferable as clearly stated on purchase so we recommend if coming for a few days and you want a cheap ticket, book on your first day, so if that's canceled you can go the next day, or if coming from interstate or overseas we recommend you buy a full fare, which is fully refundable if the cruise does not operate.
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Be wary of making an advance booking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I booked a seal watching cruise whilst my son and his girl friend were visiting from the UK. On the website I was pleased to find an advance booking offer of $45 per person as opposed to the normal $67. On the day of our cruise, as we were already on our from Melbourne to Phillip island, I received a call to say the cruise had been cancelled that day due to weather conditions which I appreciate is unavoidable sometimes. When we arrived in Cowes I went to the cruise office to see if I could rearrange the cruise for the next day but the office was closed so we returned to Melbourne the next morning. When I contacted Wildlfe Cruises by email I was told that the advance purchase price was not refundable and the cruise could be taken during the next 3 months. I had understood I could not cancel and get a refund but I thought if the cruise had not actually taken place I would be entitled to a refund. As a gesture of goodwill I was offered half the price back which I accepted.
I don't know how good the cruise is but be wary of booking and paying in advance.

Visited December 2010