“Great view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Bicheno
Perth, Australia
“Great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Very tidy and quaint apartment. Stairs to the two bedrooms. They class this as 4 - 4 1/2 star resort. I would not think that our room was rated this. Prob 3 1/2 - 4. Very clean. Close to the
beach
. Restaurant and pool, small gym set up, table tennis. Even penguin tours. Loved our stay.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

So much has been shared by so many others below. Consequently, I will try to be brief and add new information to help the owner and others considering this venue.

"4 & 4.5 star rooms"..."Resort" - the liberal interpretation by Diamond Island is at odds with any other property with the same star rating. I would humbly suggest that this venue is not on the same level as genuine 4 star venues, such as Freycinet Lodge or the Edge of The Bay.

As we entered the property past the Australian flags and glossy street sign proclaiming the rating and Resort status, we were relieved to be in our SUV just to make it down the pot-holed and lumpy asphalt drive to the reception. My wife and I looked at each other and drew in a sharp breath. The look said it all: "we're here now and have pre-paid, so suck it up and see how it goes".

The reception area is like a space that time forgot and is representative of the whole property...it would have been 4 stars 10 years ago. Sadly time, poor maintenance and cost cutting have taken their toll on what must have been a good, small-town, beach-side property when it was first opened.

The $425 a night (via Wot-if) room for my wife and I, and our 3 kids, was passable. Everything in Room 3 worked except the water-saver shower head, leaking bathroom tap, sliding screen door, and the sliding glass door lock with DIY repair (my 12 year old could have opened it by pulling hard enough), the DIY twin-room wardrobe that backed into the master bedroom. The addition of the odd garden dwarf would have completed the 'twilight-zone' styling and 2.5-3 star experience.

The continental breakfast (included in room price) was like everything else: the absolute bare minimum...corn flakes, Just Right or Nutri-grain. 3 types of bread for toasting. Pineapple or orange juice. No fruit at all (on a positive note, some was delivered to our room after I complained to the sleepy back-packer at the front desk....to which he replied: "I agree, but I just do what I am told"). It was a help yourself with not a staff member in sight.

The view was amazing, the beach and Diamond Island walk at low tide was terrific, but, unfortunately, for the price we paid, I will not be returning with my family.

Room Tip: go somewhere else....Best Western at Bicheno or a real 4 star resort in Coles Bay
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

It's simple: the food isn't tasty, the service spotty, the setting only basic and the manager was rude to us when we said that the penguin tour should be half price only for children. Not a nice, but a substandard place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
This man was abusive continually with his wife to extent that staff called me to come round. They were fighting and creating a scene not comfortable to other guests.

His reference to "penguin tour" operated by a separate business is laughable as he repeatedly referred to his baby and that his baby should be free. His baby looked about 12 and when I asked where was the baby he pointed to the child at the table.

He does not have the right to call me rude when he was the one yelling and unable to control himself, just because I did not agree with a 12 year old being a baby and that his baby should be free.

A very unpleasant human being who is typical of the unfactual response that we see tripadvisor posting.
denpasar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We didn't know about Bichino until we mentioned heading to Tasmania, suddenly everyone seemed to recommend this cute little seaside town. it has spectacular coastline and a yesteryear feel, with just enough driving time between destinations to make it a perfectly placed pitstop on our travels.
The penguins are of course a major drawcard, but being able to stay at Daimond Island Lodge and have our own personal private penguins come visit us on our apartment verandah was a highlight. So too was our dinner at the lodge. we were greeted by the chef, who turns out to have a wealth of experience and passion for the industry, and together with his lovely wife created an awesome local catch feast for the night. Something we shall not forget!
The staff checked in to make sure we were comfortable and happy, and then took us down to meet the penguins. The kids were ecstatic!.
Our upstairs apartment had sweeping coastline views, and gave us all the best sleep on our journey so far. Very comfortable and priced well for what we received. we were all very happy with our stay, thank you Diamond Island Lodge from Simon, Hannah, Louiee & Ling.

Room Tip: Chat to the staff, they are knowledgeable, obliging, and took the time out to ensure our stay was pe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your time taken, we know we have areas to work on but appreciate your time taken to respond.
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My family and I stayed at Diamond ISland resort for one night. The 'resort' was very tired and had been renovated a number of times but everything was just a bit odd. A spa bath in the lounge, a door lock that was broken, a DVD player that did not work. The room upstairs had been split into 2 so the patch of carpet was replaced with an odd rug to fill in the space. Sorry Trip Advisor, I should have checked your reviews before I booked. Don't be tricked by the word Resort.
On a posative note the food in the resturant was great, but please shine your glasses and jugs and don't say, "I wont take your order now becuase there will be a long wait".
Seeing the penguins arrive at night was great! Sleeping almost on top of 200 burrows when they left to go fishing at 3am in the morning and squalked for an hour was not so great.
I would expect to pay $200 a night for the room that we stayed in and then I might expect to experience what we experienced and no be so annoyed.

Room Tip: A room higher up the hill may not experience so much penguin noise. But who knows they were pretty l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for your time taken to respond, to repeat what I have said many times, "million dollar views" cost millions of dollars. Most people leave saying they wish they could stay longer and understand where the cost comes from. We are part of Australia not a small overseas country and things are not cheap here.

Unfortunately yes the penguins have been especially noisy the last few weeks when heading out to sea in the morning. I have 2 nests next to my window and they have been competing with each other when saying their farewells of a morning.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We paid $390 for our accommodation. It was a resort price but this is not a resort.
The staff seem to be doing their best but the property is a bit run down.
The setting is stunning with proximity to the beach and diamond island.
Included breakfast is cereal and toast.
Included penguin tour involved sitting in a deck chair on a platform at the bottom of the property while one of the staff pointed a torch in the correct direction. There were a lot of penguins and it was good fun for the kids. No need to pay extra money for someone to point at a penguin for you. There is obviously argy bargy with competing penguin tours. At dusk, a rival operator comes and closes the beach access and escorts any non payers from the sand. There are a lot of signs telling rival patrons where they should not be.
We enjoyed the stay but it was overpriced.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your response, we do have lots to add to the property but your price is about location and most people understand "million dollar views" cost just that.

Noone is allowed on the beach at night not just our guests. The closing of the gate at night time is partly about separating non guests with the Bicheno Penguin company from town from our guests but it is mostly about keeping humans away from the area that the penguins walk onto our property which is near the gate area .

They really don't want human interaction despite what some people think their penguin experience should be.
Hobart, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

After reading such differing reviews, I felt compelled to write too. We stayed in a family room, the "A" frame style which did lack quite a lot of attention. The only two light bulbs in the lounge were blown and the lamp had no bulb. I was required to clean the shower/spa before running a bath. The wardrobe was bare chip board held together with masking tape, and the exhaust fan in the kitchen was also attatched to the wall with tape. The light switch over the stairs was three steps down, making it a scary reach in the dark. However, we struck a friendship with another couple staying, and entered their studio style room and it was beautiful. It was clean, modern and quite stylish. Therefore I am guessing this is the reason for these reviews to be quite extreme, it simply depends if you are travelling as a family or a couple. Resort accommodation indicates that there is enough dining and entertainment on offer that you do not need to leave the property, however I think this is lacking here. There were some great moments in our stay at this resort, unfortunately the negative did outweigh these.

Room Tip: Travel as a couple, not a family and the rooms are much better.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
You had some great moments here yet leave a review score of 1 ?

We do not have tape holding things together so this makes anything else you have said questionable.

There is though a difference between the villas and apartments, most people staying in the villas like the difference so I am sorry you didn't.

There are things to do here, pool, pool table, table tennis, x boxes, bikes,tennis, games for kids, library, spa/massage and of course the island and the penguins so while we have things we want to do there is already plenty to do and I have not mentioned the local attractions so again 1 out of 5 I think is harsh.

Also if we are to believe you that you felt so compelled to post a review yet it took you three months ??????????????????????????????

Been to Diamond Island Resort? Share your experiences!