“Wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Bicheno
Balmain, Australia
“Wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The facilities in the room were a bit tired and our room was not overly keen but the location is gold and the owner was very helpful and the penguin talk was very informative. The place has a very relaxed vibe to it. The owner even gave us some complimentary stubby holder!
We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thanks for your time taken to leave a reply, appreciate your business and response.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at this 'resort' right after the Bicheno bushfires, which weren't actually anywhere near the town. The main bed was upstairs in an open loft position with the two single beds in a room with a door just beyond this, there were no fryscreens on the windows, no fire alarm fitted (which was pointed out to the owner) and the door downstairs to the balcony was impossilble to open or close. The carpets upstairs were dirty, and there was dried insect guts on the walls. There were not enough plates and bowls for 4 people and the kitchen sponge was not only used but filthy! Luckily I had brought own picnic gear and dishwashing stuff. The owner was grumpy because of cancelled bookings due to fires and when we went to see the penguins at night he recalled all the terrible things other visitors had done previously and threatehed to turn out the lights because some people were not paying attention to his stories.... Penguins were cute, but not cute enough to warrant a stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Interesting that I didn't hear this while you were here ????

As for being grumpy over fire situation, I find this a little over the top, the fire situation here was grossly exaggerated by the media, anyone here has seen that we were not on fire.

As for her comments about my stories about poor behaviour from some guests I make no apologies about this so that I do not have to debate later what most of us consider to be common sense.

I think we know who needs to chill here.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The room was very comfortable, with spectacular ocean views. Watching the fairy penguins come in at sunset was a bonus. They waddle in right in front of a viewing platform. You could almost touch them if you were inclined to disturb the little guys (which we weren't). Our guide from the resort shared his in depth knowledge of their habits, and seemed genuinely concerned for their welfare which is a good thing because they are very sensitive and easily disturbed. We stumbled onto the Diamond Island Resort by accident and would go out of our way to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the time taken, glad you enjoyed your stay.
Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have read recent reviews of this resort and would like to give a different perspective. At the time of booking I was informed that the cost of my room ($400.00) per night would include the penguin viewing. This is true - we viewed them from a platform in the back yard and a few penguins came past the viewing platform along the fence line. I thought I would be watching the penguins come out of the water, up the beach and into the sand dunes to their nests. A few metres away on the other side of the fence a different "real penguin viewing" was happening. They saw them come out of the sea, up the beach etc. We were not allowed to go over the fence to join in. I would of happily paid the extra $25 to join in on this viewing and booked it had I known. Diamond Island resort should let customers know of the different penguin experience with them. Room was nice, but not worth the money. We saw the penguins and were with them on the beach at Low Head up the coast from Launceston. An excellent experience where they walked between my legs and we walked in amonst the sand dunes with them. Fantastic experience. Please make sure you are aware of what you get for your money if you want to get very close to the penguins and enjoy them on the beach. It was truly amazing to see them come out of the water.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Going by the date of the visit for this guest the least number of penguins we had was around 30. We do not advertise thousands of penguins. As for “not allowed to join in with the other group” that is not true, they were not allowed unless they paid the $25 a head which they were informed of, it was their choice.
As for comments about the penguins walking between their legs the Bicheno Penguin Tours are not going to allow their guests to walk amongst the penguins (or up the sand dunes and along the beach) nor would any other company, this suggests they walked amongst the penguins on some private beach somewhere potentially from the sound of it upsetting the penguins. In the process not just disturbing the penguins but potentially upsetting their nests as well, this is not ok just so they can say “fantastic experience”, shows a lack of respect for the penguins. I find it annoying having to restrict adults from wanting to “mingle” with the penguins; we should be allowing them to do what they do naturally without us getting in their way.
Interesting the rooms were overpriced comments yet ROOMS, sleep, cleanliness and location we scored 5 out of 5 for. This is not consistent with an overall score of 1 out of 5 and giving a result of “terrible”. My maths gives a score of 24 out of 30 which averaged is a 4 out of 5 and not terrible.
It is not “cheap” to stay here but the views are priceless. They clearly miss the point about what the money paid to stay here is for, again according to them location, ROOMS, sleep quality and cleanliness 5 out of 5.

I thank them for the time taken to respond, take in what was said, but it WILL not change what we do and not allow guests to walk amongst the penguins.

Anyone wanting to view them coming from the sea as already said are advised of the option to do so, something they clearly knew as they are aware of the cost.

Reading other reviews from guests who viewed the penguins from same platform were positive in their feelings, if you read review from George Jan 2 he makes reference about his observation of me dealing with guests who want to overstep common sense and let the penguins walk by us in peace.
Sydney, Australia
2,120 reviews 2,120 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Unlike other reviewers, I thought the rooms were fine and the value was excellent.
I'm not sure what other rooms are like, but we had a premier room (not the apartments) near the water and being upstairs, had an excellent view.
The rooms were better tha on our past trip and I thought the new onwers were very professional in their management.
I loved the walk across to the island when the tides were right and although we only had 1 night, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
If I had any quibble I think I would prefer to spend the extra money and do the penguin tour with the Parks people where do you got to see the penguins in the rookeries - I thought Robert did a great job and obviously has a passion for the penguins and the environment but most people want to see the penguins come out of the sea and walk towards the rookery, not just walk across the grass.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Appreciate the feedback and time taken to respond.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Dear Trip Advisor

I stayed at this place and was most disappointed. Upon arrival I was welcomed by Rodney I think hes called who was lovely, but at the penguin show I thought I would be able to pick up a penguin to give him a nice cuddle, but was most annoyed when Rodney wouldn't allow us to even go and pat the penguins! The thing that made me most annoyed though was the fact that as was advertised, the room had a full kitchen... Now the problem with that is I am an avid blender enthusiest, and I had many many ingredients ready to be blended, but there was a HUGE problem, NO BLENDER! What sort of full kitchen doesn't have a blender?! I looked everywhere! I was SO disappointed. This really affected my stay!

No stars

Love from

GordojFilingcabinet

• Stayed January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was a fantastic, faultless stay. Robert the new owner is amazing and went out of his way to ensure we had a great stay. He single handedly ran the show on NYE, not an easy task, but he worked tirelessly and the food at dinner was magnificent. His knowledge and attitude to the penguins was incredible, his restraint with idiots who don't respect nature was unbelievable. I will without doubt return to stay there, the rooms luxury, the surroundings stunning. I am recommending this place to everyone I know.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
George, our pleasure, look forward to seeing you next time.

regards

Robert

Been to Diamond Island Resort? Share your experiences!