“Lovely spot and relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 Tasman Highway, Bicheno, Tasmania 7215, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Bicheno
Sydney, Australia
2,179 reviews 2,179 reviews
“Lovely spot and relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Unlike other reviewers, I thought the rooms were fine and the value was excellent.
I'm not sure what other rooms are like, but we had a premier room (not the apartments) near the water and being upstairs, had an excellent view.
The rooms were better tha on our past trip and I thought the new onwers were very professional in their management.
I loved the walk across to the island when the tides were right and although we only had 1 night, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
If I had any quibble I think I would prefer to spend the extra money and do the penguin tour with the Parks people where do you got to see the penguins in the rookeries - I thought Robert did a great job and obviously has a passion for the penguins and the environment but most people want to see the penguins come out of the sea and walk towards the rookery, not just walk across the grass.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Appreciate the feedback and time taken to respond.

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Dear Trip Advisor

I stayed at this place and was most disappointed. Upon arrival I was welcomed by Rodney I think hes called who was lovely, but at the penguin show I thought I would be able to pick up a penguin to give him a nice cuddle, but was most annoyed when Rodney wouldn't allow us to even go and pat the penguins! The thing that made me most annoyed though was the fact that as was advertised, the room had a full kitchen... Now the problem with that is I am an avid blender enthusiest, and I had many many ingredients ready to be blended, but there was a HUGE problem, NO BLENDER! What sort of full kitchen doesn't have a blender?! I looked everywhere! I was SO disappointed. This really affected my stay!

No stars

Love from

GordojFilingcabinet

• Stayed January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was a fantastic, faultless stay. Robert the new owner is amazing and went out of his way to ensure we had a great stay. He single handedly ran the show on NYE, not an easy task, but he worked tirelessly and the food at dinner was magnificent. His knowledge and attitude to the penguins was incredible, his restraint with idiots who don't respect nature was unbelievable. I will without doubt return to stay there, the rooms luxury, the surroundings stunning. I am recommending this place to everyone I know.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
George, our pleasure, look forward to seeing you next time.

regards

Robert
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

At the end of our Tassie travels it was a joy to land here and enjoy the beautiful beach, Diamond Island, and the magic of the little penguins. The weather was not on our side on the second day however we could relax in our very very comfortable room and watched the scuds of rain come over the mountains. Thanks to Robert for a friendly and informative evening with the penguins. he obviously has a dedication to their care and kept us humans at a safe distance with excellent view of these timid creatures. We'd definitely come again!

Room Tip: All rooms appear great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DiamondIslandResort, Owner at Diamond Island Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thanks for time taken, I am pretty sure I know who you are, it was our pleasure.
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We would have liked the opportunity to stay here...but there was no reply what so ever at the Reception area. My husband waited there ages, rang the bell 3 times. He gave up in the end...thinking it looked a bit shabby anyway, despite the stunning beachfront location. Their loss...our gain...we stayed elsewhere in Bicheno that was fine.
If you are going to run a "resort" you need reception staff!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Trip advisor allows you to post this sort of comment without you having stayed here, shame on you and shame on them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desk is only not attanded when someone is called out my advice is next time you book ahead. We were full and looking after guests, we hardly have had a vacancy since the start of December and this is a poor reflection on you that you can add this sort of comment.
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just been to Tasmania with a family of five, including 2 young kids. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms, double storey with beds on the 2nd storey. For AUD 270 per nite, the place is pretty old, batteries in 2 remote controls were leaking thus not working, the front balcony door can't close properly which will let the cold air in (gets pretty cold during my stay there). Throughout our stay around Tasmania, we had much better place in Hobart, Ulverstone, Launceston for below AUD 200.

Some former posts on this resort mention about penguins walking in front of their apartment but our experience was entirely different. We have to watch penguins at a build up platform and it doesn't seem possible to spot them walking pass your apartment. Location wise, it is slightly off the city centre, around 3 mins drive.

However, on the positives, we were told by the new owner (Robert?) that they recently took over the place, they are doing the reno and they have some wonderful ideas of improving that place. Another definite plus point is the free penguins viewing and I can definitely see Robert's effort in improving this place.

Room Tip: The rooms are in a single line across, doesn't look like there's any much difference for the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bicheno, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The whole experience was brilliant. Robert was very helpful and gave us ideas of things to do in the area. The penguin experience is not to be missed. They are so cute and if you are patient they will give you a real show! The apartment was lovely and the weather spectacular.

Room Tip: Any room would be great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your time take to respond, we are not perfect but are trying.

Been to Diamond Island Resort? Share your experiences!