“A little disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of On the Beach Holiday Apartments

You added On the Beach Holiday Apartments to your Saves list
On the Beach Holiday Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   49 - 51 Vasey Esplanade, Trinity Beach, Queensland 4879, Australia   |
Townsville, Australia
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

This place was reasonable, but a number of things were a disappointment.

Overall I didn't get the feeling of cleanliness - there were a number of different things that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a long time. For example the clothes dryer had lint about an inch thick over the filter and the hairdryer cord had grim all along it. Also on arrival there was dried mud in the lounge area near the sliding doors to the patio and dirt marks on the carpet leading up to the mud. We cleaned this up ourselves as it seemed easier in the end than getting the motel to come and do it when we were trying to unpack and relax.

There was no Austar/cable TV; the motel website under the 'facilities' tab stated cable TV as being available, however we found out that cable TV was only available to beachfront apartments. The only item that was listed on the facilites page as being available only to the beachfront apartments was the tennis courts, so this seemed a little misleading to us as the assumption is then, that all other items listed are available to all room types. We have since rechecked the 'room features' and it doesn't list cable TV as being available in the oceanview apartments - we have learnt a valuable lesson to check all information tabs well and to also clarify any conflicting information in future before booking.

The second bedroom where the kids slept was adequate. The negatives were that both windows in the room had vertical blinds which had atleast 3 blinds missing from each window. We had to hang a blanket up over each window to stop the early morning light/sun coming in and to also give privacy. The lamp that was on the bedside table between the beds did not work either. As both the kids read at night they had to get up and turn the wall light off - not a big thing, but it would have been nice for it to be in working order so they didn't have to do this. On leaving my husband mentioned the blinds to the motel and was told that he should have said something earlier and they would have fixed them. I suppose we should have, but I would have thought when they cleaned the room that it would have been evident that the blinds were missing and they would have corrected this before we actually arrived.

The undercover parking for us was not useable as we have a 4WD ute and the only two spaces available in the undercover parking area would have meant we had to do about an 8 point turn to get in and out (very confined space). We decided to park outside rather than struggle with this each day. The outside parking was fine.

Overall for the money we were a little disappointed as we had previously stayed elsewhere in Cairns (Clifton beach) for less money and the room was better. If you were fortunate to get a really good deal then it would be worth it.

To finish on a good note though - the location (Trinity Beach) is a lovely place to holiday and the 'Tavern' on the beachfront was fantastic. The meals, atmosphere and service at the Tavern were exceptional.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
MelissaSpeer, Manager at On the Beach Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our property and for bringing to our attention these issues that we need to address in order to maintain our well-earned reputation.
Firstly I apologise for the state that your apartment was obviously in when you arrived. On review, we had recently had workers in that apartment and I have assumed that they had cleaned up after themselves. In saying that, our housekeepers are to inspect very apartment prior to guests arriving, and this is definitely one thing I would hope that they would have noticed. The dryer lint and the hairdryer are items we are constantly concerned about and have addressed this again today with staff.
I apologise that you expected Austar in your apartment and that you found our listing not clear in specifying Beachfront apartments only. We have not had this issue before however I will attend to the changes on our website in coming days.
All other issues have been noted and discussions had with the entire team. As for the car parking, these are regular size parking spaces. I am glad that you found a space in the visitor bay still within the security of the property.
As the manager I take full responsibility for the condition of your apartment and guarantee that these issues have already been addressed and rectified. Simple maintenance issues such as bulbs, blinds and dryer lint are everyday items which shouldn’t escape our attention. Please accept my personal apology for your disappointment.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

A fantastically located Apartment. My 12-year wish to stay at Trinity Beach since moving to Cairns finally came true, and I could not have stayed at a better apartment. Located opposite the stinger net enclosure and on the ground floor opposite the pool gate, everything was easily accessible. My friends and family who joined me to celebrate my birthday the afternoon before and then again throughout the day thoroughly enjoyed their time as well. We can not stop talking about it. The service was friendly and helpful, being a local we were looked after well, and I could tell by talking with the other locals and tourists staying there that they too were enjoying their time at 'On The Beach'. Additionally, Trinity Beach is a gorgeous place with lots of shade, a variety of places to eat, and a path way for you to enjoy walks along. I felt that I was no where near a large town and was thoroughly relaxed. Dinner at Chiantti's was good, although too hot and humid inside as the air conditioners were put on only when we asked and the fans were on "very" slow. Lunch the following day was at Trinity Tavern, an excellent place and one of my favourite getaways. They do have the air conditioning on but you do not feel closed in as the glass panes that allow you to view the sea makes you feel like you are dining alfresco, but with a cool refreshing feeling. Dinner the second night was eaten at L'Unico. Again, this was a delicious choice and the service was impeccable. I still don't know how the waitress remembered all of our orders amongst our "50 million" questions. The afternoon of my birthday was spent relaxing with my immediate family and half a dozen close girlfriends by the pool. It was a truly relaxing, rejuvenating and enjoyable weekend. I only wished I had booked one more night as neither I nor my family were ready to leave. As my catchcry states, I am saving to stay again, but also looking to buy should an apartment become available in the near future. I certainly recommend people to stay - locals will love it as they don't have to go too far from home; and that's another thing that I found quite valuable. Trinity Beach still remains to be my favourite beach in the North and it was wonderful finally achieving my wish to stay there. Thanks to Melissa and crew at "On The Beach".

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased that we have been able to look after the 'locals' as well as all of our other guests. It is great to know that we do get it right on the majority of occasions. We look forward to welcoming you back and don't forget to use your loyalty card for your next booking to save you $$$.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I only stayed four nights at Trinity Beach and were completely overwhelmed by the warmth and welcome we received. It was one of our last stops in Oz and definitely allowed us to end our holiday on a high. The local restaurants, beach and other facilities were lovely. The staff really couldn't do enough to help organise our day trips and help them go smoothly. Our room felt very homey and comfortable. We are planning to go back in a few years for our wedding and honeymoon as we were so well looked after! Can't wait!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

We booked a weeks' stay at On the Beach apartments and had no real plans for our holiday, just some vague ideas of what we wanted to see in the area. Melissa and her team were fantastic at helping out with advice and booking tours and trips in the area. We've travelled the world and I can honestly say I've never had better customer service. They made our holiday a pleasure by sorting all the day activities out for us, as planning activities etc can often be the most stressful part of a holiday. Car hire was arranged at the front desk, and the car was even dropped off at the hotel for us! Hotel is right on the beach (obviously) and yet still in a quiet area despite the daily bustle around the beach. Our apartment had a kitchen so we were able to buy groceries and cook for ourselves if we wanted. I wouldn't even bother planning your holiday activities until you get there - it was that easy (and we're normally obsessive holiday planners).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

great apartment, very friendly helpful staff in paradise just across the quiet street from a swimming beach. Fulfilled all our expectations.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed at On the Beach Apartments while on vacation for a girls trip. We arrived later in the evening and were picked up by Ben, who was a friendly, welcoming, and knowledgable. He gave us some great ideas about what to do while in the area, we also requested him for our transfer back to the airport.

The apartments were updated, clean, quiet, and had everything one would need. We have an ocean front apartment, which looked over the beach which was just across the street.

Melissa at the front desk absolutely made our trip and experience wonderful, she was friendly and super helpful. She researched trip ideas for us and made great suggestions, she also took care of booking trips, spas, and dinner reservations for us. We felt very well taken care of, and would recommend staying at this location to anyone!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We were beginning our honeymoon, at the on the beach apartments in trinity beach. We arrived very jetlagged and very early so our room wasnt quite ready, the owner recomended we get a yummy breakfast just down the street and by the time we came back it would be all ready for us. Thats what we did and were pleasantly suprised at the rooms when we returned shortly after! We couldnt believe the size of the apartment, it was modern and newly decorated. It was equiped with everything we needed, including a washing machine and drier! Our view was right out onto the beach. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful including organising our trips for us to Kuranda and the reef. We trusted their recomendations and we were really delighted with our trips! money well spent! We only stayed for four days but we were really delighted for everything and felt we really didnt have enough time to fit everything in!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to On the Beach Holiday Apartments? Share your experiences!