“A Days Fishing” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports, Adventure
Cairns
“A Days Fishing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have recently moved to Cairns from Melbourne primarily for the weather and the fishing which have not been a disappointment. Prior to booking a trip with Kerry I did some local research on charter fishing with a number of fishing tackle shops and a member of my RSL in Cairns who is a keen fisherman. Blackout Fishing was highly recommended for Reef, River and Estuary fishing.
Having purchased some new Shimano rods and reels before leaving Melbourne I was keen to give them a christening and at Kerry’s suggestion I loaded up my T-curve heavy spin with a Saragosa 10,000 spooled with 60lb braid.
The weather forecast for our day indicated winds to 12 knots with moderate seas around 1m. and no rain.
Our first stop was Fitzroy Island to catch some live bait (the best) before heading out to one of Kerry’s secret marks. My new rod and reel certainly had a workout in the next few hours with five different species (Mangrove Jack, Giant Queenfish, Spotted Trevally, Barracuda and lastly a reef shark around the 100kg mark). Unfortunately the weather man got it horribly wrong and by late morning we were getting gusts up to 25 knots and some tropical rain. We anchored on the lee side of Fitzroy Island early afternoon for a great and welcome lunch.
We then headed off to another of Kerry’s spots to target some Fingermark and we were not disappointed. The sea was still pretty choppy due to the wind so our trip back in was a bit of a bone shaker. A good day – yes with nearly 10 hours of fishing and being spoilt with someone to bait up, change tackle, clean the take home fish and then chauffer you to your front door. In the last few years I have fished in New Zealand, Vanuatu and Cambodia and would rate Blackout Fishing highly in terms of value for money, professionalism, honesty and reliability. I have booked Kerry for 5 days in October when my brother and sister in-law arrive for a 10 day visit and some brotherly fishing competition. I am confident we will not be disappointed.

Visited August 2013
sherryl b, Owner at Blackout Sportfishing, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi Stephen, thank you very much for your review, looking forward to your reef charters in October cheers kerry

Brisbane, Australia
“FANTASTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is by far the best fishing charter in Cairns. Sherryl and Kerry are the best. Kerrys knowledge of the fish and waters is second to none. Booking a day out with them ( weather permitting of course) will be the highlight of your trip. Kerry is honest and will tell you if it is a good day or a bad day. He will not just take your money and take you out if the weather is not good or if the fishing is not good . Highly reccommend for reliability, honesty and a really great day.

Visited January 2013
sherryl b, Owner at Blackout Sportfishing, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
thank you charmaine 19 for your review, hope to see you again next year !
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Good day, but had some bad luck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Booked a fishing charter about 2 months prior and was kept updated by Sherryl as the time approached. We had asked (weather permitting) to do a blue water sport fishing trip. The night before it was decided that we would travel down to Innisfail and go off shore there as the wind was predicted to be less down that way.
This seemed to prove a good idea as the weather turned out choppy, but reasonable enough to fish. We met Kerry at the local Trinity Beach shops early morning and headed off in his 4WD, boat in tow.
Fishing proved difficult with most of our catch being undersize Nannygai and a few trevally. We tried live baiting and jigging, but unfortunately lost most larger fish due to broken tackle (one broken hook on a treble) and (one broken hook on a jig head) both times losing good fish. Other times we were bitten off before getting the fish to the boat.
A nice lunch was provided and cold drinks to wash it down. It is a great boat and it has a fantastic large fold up canopy that gives great cover from the sun. I have been on a fair few charters and it was nice to go on one that the guide did everything, and we were not asked to assist in any way. Good job Kerry.
Overall it was a good trip, obviously we would have liked to land more decent fish, but we all tried hard (including the guide). That's fishing I guess.
Kerry and Sherryl are really genuine operators and I would definately recommend this charter.

Visited December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Promised the world...yet delivered an atlas!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Booked 2 months in advance and was constantly in contact with Kerry and Sherryl before getting into Trinity Beach for 10 days. I was supposed to go out with 2 others in a share charter. The night before I get a call from Kerry saying that they are not catching enough fish so people have pulled out of the charter...a load of BS... I asked to go on the next days charter, next night rung up and told of 30 km winds...more BS...as it was dead calm and still the whole day even out on the reef. Talking to a transfer bus driver he said they do it all the time when they have bookings and some big wig from Asia flies in and offers them more $$$ than what they would make with the usual charter so they can go GT fishing.

An absolute rort, waste of time and energy...shoddy operator!!! Be warned.

Visited October 2012
sherryl b, Owner at Blackout Sportfishing, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
To Riderpro, unfortunaetly we do seem to have all of our trouble with share charters, people not turning up,cancelling at the last minute,changing there plans, i have heard all the excuses, and have had to disapoint people by cancelling charters as we don't run on a share charter basis and no other operators do, this is why next year we will stop taking share charters,in defence for Kerry he is an honest operator, he knows your paying a lot of money for a day out and he just tells it as it is, sometimes when there is no current in the water the fishing conditions do shut down as for weather conditions he does try his best and sometimes he's wrong sorry, but flat calm to 30 knots is a big difference, i can just say when your looking from the beach things can look perfect, the difference is when you go out around the mountains and islands and depending on what way the wind is coming from determines the conditions on the sea, and as for the bus drivers wisdom let him know usually the big wigs from Asia hire a $2000a day marlin boat, sorry for any inconvenience sherryl
Colombo
“great joy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Wow..it's great experience for me and my friends..we enjoyed a lot............. it's one of best times we spent in our journies.Thank u very much for the fun gave us

Visited January 2012
sherryl b, Owner at Blackout Sportfishing, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I'm glad you had a great day, hope to see you again sometime cheers !