“Quite Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa

You added Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Mahogany Drive | Pelican Waters, Caloundra, Queensland 4551, Australia (Formerly Crowne Plaza)   |
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Caloundra
Singapore, Singapore
“Quite Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights and found it quite ok. The hotel was running at full capacity yet nothing major screw up as far as the duration I stayed there. Was initially apprehensive as there were quite a lot of negative reviews. The only thing that should be considered a drawback is that the nearest supermarket is a little distance away which is technically a little far if you decided not to drive there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Australian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My extended family went to Sunshine Coast to attend a Wedding. To get a discounted price and guarantee of the 3 rooms we wanted, we booked months in advance at Crown Plaza Pelican Waters for 2 nights. We arrived very late. We booked one room with 2 beds (because I snore and like to separate the beds as far as possible). The room we were given had one queen bed. Not happy. When we rang reception we were told hotel was nearly full but they will search for suitable room. Later we got a room with 2 beds on a different floor. A better A/C in the lobby would be appreciated. Pool and bar were ok. Prices at local supermarkets were very high. GPS would be he;helpful as its easy to get lost. Weather was nice. I am sorry to say I did not have time to play on the great golf course located next door (designed by Greg Norman).

Room Tip: Bring sun glasses, GPS and water bottle. Insect repellent would be useful if playing golf.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is the 4th time I have stayed here for business and the service slips each time. The bar and restaurant staff just don't seem to care. We chose to dine somewhere else this trip, last time we waited for almost 2 hours for our dinner. In the morning for breakfast the sign says please wait to be seated, so I waited and waited while the staff went about making coffee, chatting and walking right past me until I finally asked if I should just seat myself. I would not recommend this hotel for anything but the golf course.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

In general I have good opions about Crown Plaza hotels, but this one was a big disappointment. Only a stupid thing like the gym that is only open for hotel guests for free until 6 pm. That is when a tourist normally comes back from whatever they do and start to consider to go to the gym. The service was partly totally under the ice, with broken promises and wrong information. Also the rooms were not good. We had to interconnecting rooms with a complicated small hall between them and doors that could not be kept up unless to put a suitcase or something to hold them. The beds were of mediocre level as well as the bathrooms, and the position is only good for golfplayers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael647
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Why do hotels like this get such utter basics so utterly wrong? Where to start? Here's a basic thing: curtains. Unless you like waking up at 5am (that's right 5am!) with blazing sunshine in your face then don't stay here. Like many hotels they haven't yet realised that people pay to stay in hotel rooms to get some sleep. You won't get it here. the blinds let the light right through. Then there is the breakfast. Now I've grown accustomed to being ripped off by hotel breakfasts. But this one should win a global rip-off award. It's $29. And it isn't a buffet. It's just bacon and eggs. With no coffee. Coffee is $4 each. So unless you and your partner fancy a $66 single-plate, one coffee breakfast then you might like to give this a skip. Oh, the hotel is in a nice part of the world, but I stayed two nights, in different rooms and there was no view. Also - not night time room service!! You'd expect that in a Crowne Plaza, but not here. One thing I will say - I liked the staff and personally found them very helpful, but they can't help how this place is run. I was unfortunate enough to be there for dinner one night and it had all the ambience of a downmarket retirement home. Nope, scrub this joint from your list of options right now.

Room Tip: Pick one at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked an apartment for the family and it was very good, quiet roomy and spacious. The only complaint was no twin beds for the boys which I had asked for in the booking. The hotel is very peaceful with a good outlook. We were there for a family wedding and it went off very well.

The food in the restaurant was good quality and the bar has plenty of choice. A great venue for a function.

Room Tip: The apartments are good value if you have more than 2 people.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sunshine Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We booked a 1 bedroom spa suite under the package including Buffet Breakfast. The 1 brm suite was advertised on all booking sites as having 'breathtaking views', and also on Crowne Plaza's own site it states that all 1 brm spa suites have views of the pool or golf course. We were allocated room 201, when we got to our room we opened the curtains to discover the view was of a roof top (which over the front entrance). There also happened to be a pair of discarded underpants on the roof! Hardly the breathtaking view advertised on the various websites. I immediately rang reception and asked to be moved to a room with a view, only to be told they were fully booked and it was not possible. After I mentioned that we did not receive was we paid for, the gentleman attempted to find a way of moving us, after about 5 minutes of trying he transferred me to the Reservations Manager. I then had to relay my story to her as he had not announced my call, she gave me the same story about the hotel being fully booked and spent several minutes trying to find another room but was not having any luck. I suggested that perhaps they could give us a refund and we would leave to find alternative accommodation, she asked me to wait and several minutes later, miraculously we were able to be moved to another room! Our new room on the 3rd floor had a lovely view of the pool and lake beyond - exactly what we had expected and paid for. Apart from the room issue, everythign else was great. Check-in and check-out was very quick and efficient. The room was very nice, although the balcony doors could do with a screen so that insects don't fly in at night when the doors are open. There was a bit of mould in the shower that could easily be eradicated with a bit of exit-mould. I think the cleaners must do a quick job and don't spend much time going over the rooms thoroughly. Be aware that this hotel is very out of the way, and if you don't want to eat in the one restaurant at the hotel, you will need to drive to get to anywhere else. We are locals, so we were aware of this. Friday night is seafood buffet at $55 per head, so if you don't like seafood you're kinda out of luck unless you have a car. The pool isn't heated as far as I could tell. Not a bad place to stay, but more for golf nuts than any one elase.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Been to Pelican Waters Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!