“Nice option in good location ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of High Cross Park Lodge

You added High Cross Park Lodge to your Saves list
High Cross Park Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7-9 Cuthill St, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Randwick B&B and Inns
“Nice option in good location ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I enjoyed my stay here. Basic but clean and comfortable rooms, with a fridge and toaster for breakfast. Friendly staff, excellent location with access to Coogee, Randwick unis and public transport. Recommended for the price.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
denpasar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

I have stayed here many times over the years. My recent visit was, as always, very good. Staff on the front desk are helpful and friendly. Rooms are clean, with all the facilities anyone would need and the Lodge is conveniently situated for shops, beach and to get in and out of the city.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

Stayed here recently, the location was very handy for us. All shops and restaurants close by, and only a short bus ride in to the city. The room had a comfortable bed, and air conditioning, how ever it looked like it could do with a good scrub, especially the floors. The cupboard where the plates and glasses where smelt and they had been put back wet last time which didn't help this. When we first arrived there was what only looked like blood was on the bedding, this was quickly changed.

There was a nice BBQ area (BBQ was clean) which was good. Also a kitchen for and a lundry which where handy. If staying here I would suggest getting an up stairs room as we could here the people above us walking around, which wasn't that great in the middle of the night. The room served our purpose but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

Stayed at High Cross Park Lodge for 2 nights in September.

I thought the Front desk staff were quite friendly. Checking in and out was a breeze.

My room was a one bedder on the second level. My welcome was from a cockroach in the bathroom, But otherwise the room was relatively clean. The TV didn't work, but it did not matter as I was out most of the time, The room comes with a tiny kitchenette with complimentary coffee/tea.

I have to say the bed was comfortable and I had restful sleep. The room was equipped with a reverse AC unit and you could adjust the temperature in the room to your liking.

I would say it's a little pricey (I paid around A$110 per night).For this price, I would suggest to the lodge to at least include some bottled drinking water.

The location is quite good as is near to shops and cafes.

Would I stay here again? Well, there aren't that many choices in Randwick, So yes, I would consider using High Cross Park Lodge again, but please bug-spray the bathroom before I arrive, thanks..... :-).

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

Who would book a non-refundable tariff 8 months out from check-in at a purported discount only to see within days the same room offered week-in/week-out, month-in/month-out at significantly lower rates? And then for the management to be totally unsympathetic- "you booked it ... your problem" {"we've got you hooked"}. I will never stay at Sydney Lodges again. Pack a facecloth, because they don't give you one. Oh, and unless you want to be a dirty grub and pile your rubbish up and sleep on the same linen for a week there is a significant surcharge of AU$25.00 to have your housekeeping done ... which they do not tell you about in their offer. The relieving manager was nice and upgraded my room, so I still enjoyed my stay, but I do not ever want anything to do with Sydney Lodge management again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

As they say - you get what you pay for, however, the standard of cleanliness of the floors in the room and the dirt around the wardrobe and chest of drawers was not good at all. A good spring clean and a repaint of the walls would not go amiss. The bathrooms have been renovated and are very good. The location was great for us and it is why we chose to stay here. We asked for a quiet room and we got one. Good restaurants and public transport at your doorstep.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear you experienced a less than clean room. We pride ourselves on having simple but clean rooms and clearly disappointed you. I am sure if you reported this at the time it would have been corrected immediately. We are glad you enjoyed the quiet room, renovated bathroom and had easy access to public transport and good restaurants.
Hopefully you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves from this error when next you stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

To say you get what u pay for certainly doesn't describe our experience. We arrived and from the moment we entered the blonde middle aged receptionist on the desk was outright rude. We made a mistake in understanding the site rules re children and extra adults. So when we booked we ticked 3 adults without booking for my 2 yr old granddaughter. We were asked 3 times " how many are staying" "how many are you paying for". So instead of telling us outright the lady obviously wanted to play games. By the time we understood where she was going with the interrogation, tempers were rising. We tried explaining my daughter thought she saw child was free. So we went to out room whilst the lady searched the website. On returning were told u have to pay and its $30 a night. We also had checked the web so we thought the 2 year old free as we were paying for the extra adult. Anyway more condescending remarks and rudeness from receptionist followed. We paid the extra and in all honesty my daughter in frustration did grab the receipt and walked out. The receptionist then started to mock my daughter. Totally unacceptable behaviour. On our return to the lodge on climbing the stairs my daughter made a comment out returning to our family room, where toddlers pay. The receptionist then came out of office yelling she doesn't have to put up with this and we could leave as she was calling the police. Some more discussion followed where we said you have been rude from our arrival and to our amazement she said you must not have been speaking to me but the other lady. Anyway we stayed the 2 nights, my daughter being there to go into hospital for a risky procedure and to say I was glad to leave and will never return is an understatement . So that's the attitude, now the room. Large, but faded needing badly some updating. The spare blanket in cupboard we pulled out to use Was filthy with white stains on it. The carpet in bad need of steamcleaning. The bathroom updated so that's fine. The aircon was not working properly. Position excellent to Randwick restaurants, shops and prince of Wales hospital.

Stayed September 2014
We are so sorry you booked a room with a two person capacity and arrived with a third person.
A Family Room or Grand Master Room would have been much more comfortable for your stay with the extra space. Our rooms are licensed to hold a specific maximum of people regardless of age, by the fire department so our hands are tied. Next time you book with us be careful to select the appropriate room type for the number of guests arriving and we are sure you will enjoy your stay.

Been to High Cross Park Lodge? Share your experiences!