“Pretty average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of High Cross Park Lodge

You added High Cross Park Lodge to your Saves list
High Cross Park Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7-9 Cuthill St, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Randwick B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Checked in late at night no worries. Room was far from the street so no street noise. Room was a good size. However, interior walls are paper thin so could hear every last grunt and moan from the room next door! Also, there was no soap in the bathroom...ick. And the tv was mounted high on the wall on the side rather than end of the bed, which was a little odd. I come to this area regularly for work and am trying out all the accommodation in the area. I won't return here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at High Cross Park Lodge, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We've clearly fallen short of our normal standards and have left your room with no bathroom amenities, which absolutely includes soap. We're very sorry for this and hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Sorry you had issues with noise from other guests. We always recommend contacting reception if this is the case, so we can deal with the issue immediately to ensure your stay with us is comfortable and as quiet as possible.

We hope to see you at one of our Sydney Lodges again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Called the Avoca Lodge Randwick to book a room for one night. Arrived early evening to find reception closed. Note said call one of two numbers. The mobile number did no connect; the main number went through to the High Cross Park Lodge. Round the corning. Apparently we were booked in there and no one had mentioned that to us. Nice lady came to get us and told us that when I called to book the room the call must have gone through to the High Cross Lodge.
We did not have a nice stay at the High Cross Lodge for these reasons.
1. If you are at all claustrophobic you will certainly freak out at sleeping in room 113. The saying swing a cat comes to mind.
2. The window looks out on a brick wall
3. On opening the bathroom door the smell of bleach hit us in the face and was overpowering, the smell never left the room.
4. The ill-fitting door streamed light in from the hallway, the lights were on all night.
5. The fire alarm was well placed over the bed and a funnel of green light beamed down onto our faces. Together with the alarm clock and red light from the TV perched on a small table beside the wardrobe that was pushed up to the bed. You have to climb over the bed to get into it.
6. The very old empty fridge rattled all night.
7. Getting up in the night for a pee I hit my toe on hole in the edge of a floor tile.
8. At around 2.30am the scratching started, sounded like a rodent of some kind under the sink unit or behind the fridge.
9. It was not the cockroaches as we killed them earlier in the bathroom.
This High Cross Lodge charged us $115 plus $2.50 for paying by credit card for the pleasure of staying with them a night. It is the worst place I have ever stayed at and I suggest that you check out your room before you decide to book in for a night stress.
Come morning (Thank goodness) tired and grumpy I went to give the keys back and mentioned that they had cockroaches in the bathroom and to check out the rodent situation. The reply I got back was "there are no cockroaches in our rooms". I did not bother going into anything thing else. I told her I would be writing a review and she thanked me! Well here it is.
Holiday Inn - queen bed $120
High Cross Park Lodge Randwick double bed dinghy, dirty, cramped, smelly uncomfortable $115
Don't be fooled by the photographs and make sure you are booking the lodge you actually want to stay in.

Room Tip: Make sure you are booking into the Lodge you called. Don't go by the photographs.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Of course, we take pest complaints very seriously. We shut down the room after your stay and had it sprayed as a precaution. However, we were unable to find any of the issues you've complained of here before the pest-control entered the room.

We hope you will give Sydney Lodges a chance to redeem ourselves one day in the future. We're very sorry you had an uncomfortable night with us.
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We are visitors from New Zealand and we enjoyed our stay of seven days. The hotel is close to Ranwick Shopping Centre and buses to get into City and Railway Station. The staff were great, and gave us excellent service. Good security at night and the room although compact gave us all that we needed. The hotel is close to main roads but noise was not an issue. Access to a laundry, kitchen and barbeque was a good additional amenity. If we have a slight complaint it is that the double bed wasn't big enough as we are both quite tall and the rooms are only serviced every 7 days and it would have been better if they had been serviced more often. We would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 201and our friends were in room 202 as we could sit out on walk way with out bloc...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I had a recent stay in High Cross Park Lodge. It is Very close to Supermarkets, different types of food outlets, few minutes walk to UNSW. The room and bathroom are clean and tidy. The small pantry inside the room with all the utensils helped me to prepare my own bed tea. AC was very quiet giving the right temperature. TV can be rotated to get the best view from any location. Separate ventilation fan for the bathroom kept the floor dry all the time. The common pantry and laundry provide the guests extra facilities. Access to the room at any time of the day was easy.
Very first day I reached the Lodge at midnight. The room key was kept for me with the welcome letter in the code-locked box. The surrounding area was very quiet, though very close to the main streets.

Few things I had to bear up are; The size of the room is just enough to store the hand baggage. And the window was just opposite to the adjoining bathroom window. I had to keep the curtains drawn across all the time. The room is cleaned only once in few days so are the towels.

I will select the High Cross Park lodge, next time when I visit Sydney.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Found High Cross Park Lodge very close to Prince Of Wales Hospital which is what i needed. My husband had to have an operation so looked for somewhere close by. We booked in the night before his procedure. Loved how close it was to restaurants galore. We ventured out for dinner the first night and came back to settle into a comfy nights sleep. The next night i was on my own and felt completely safe staying at the lodge...(which at first was worried about staying in Sydney on my own) but seeing the location and the security of locked doors and gates i felt at ease. The area in which High Cross is located made it easy to venture out on my own for an evening meal. I found the reception staff very very friendly which also put me at ease. It is also an easy walk down to Coogee Bay which is another plus. Thankyou for making me feel safe and secure and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My Son and I stayed for three nights here. Room was small though clean. Bathroom was nice. UNSW is seven minutes walk from the lodge where my son had an interview for admission to med school. Buses for Sydney CBD and the domestic/international airport run frequently from the nearby stops. Coogee bay beach is also situated at a walking distance. Linen, towels, utensils and mini fridge were provided but no cooktop or microwave oven. unfortunately one cannot cook or warm food if wanted.Over all I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband stayed here for 3 nights, and I one night in December 2013 as I had a hospital stay. The location was perfect for us, with the hospital basically across the road and the pub on the corner for meals and refreshments. The shops and restaurants are a short walk down the street as well which was great for my husband.The rooms were fine, small, but we did not need a large room. The bed was only ok for comfort. The only drawback was the parking, there were limited spaces out the back of the property and too hard to wait for one to come up across the road. Overall, the stay was cheap enough and perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to High Cross Park Lodge? Share your experiences!