“Got booking room and super dirty under bed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Randwick Lodge

You added Randwick Lodge to your Saves list
Randwick Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Avoca St, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia   |
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Randwick
Canberra, Australia
“Got booking room and super dirty under bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

As soon as we arrived something was already wrong: we had requested a ground floor room and there was two requests in for one room. The kind man behind the counter tried to accommodate us by reshuffling things but then we ended up in a room without a kitchenette which we needed for the baby/food/milk etc. Eventually I think we got the room we initially booked, but I have no idea who, as a result, got kicked out of their original booking.

Once in the room we had to rearrange the furniture to accommodate the portacot and under the bed was just the biggest dust bunnies and grime you can imagine.

Our bedroom was also not made up once in the 4 night stay. We only booked this because of the location close to UNSW

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
sydney_lodges, Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I have reviewed your reservation and have not found any evidence of incorrect room types. Please note due to the hotel being a heritage building the overall layout of each room is slightly different. I believe this may have caused the confusion in this case. I sincerely apologise that we have failed to deliver the usual high level of cleaning standards. I am personally addressed your concerns with regards to cleaning to ensure such shortcomings do not occur again in the future. My team and I hope to be given the chance to host you again in the future.

Kindest regards,
Matthew Thoars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
Frankston, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The place is a health hazard, there was dirt (dust they called it) down the side of and the top of the fridge, I have photo's, there was black mould in the shower. The hallways had not been vacuumed for days. The paintwork was terrible the whole place needs a good going over, the caster under the bed was broken and so the bed couldn't be moved. The garage which was $10 / day was used as a storage place for mattresses and furniture, It was also flooded from a blocked drain in the doorway. We had booked for 7nights but lasted just 2 only because we waited for the hotel manager to make his return. We did get a refund but that did not compensate for the upset of the whole affair. Deeply upset..... Melbourne

Room Tip: Check Trip adviser before you book.....
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryborough, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Booked a room for 2 nights online. I was advised that due to my late arrival I would have a code send to me to retrieve the key from a safe. Called reception at lunch time on day of arrival and confirmed my phone number. I never recieved the code and had to organise alternate accomodation at the airport as reception had closed. Mangement called early the next day and refunded my depoist with no issues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lemon Tree Passage, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Rooms have all you need)expect in a motel. If you want a quieter room ask for one at the back. Nice courtyard in the middle, close to supermarkets and restaurants and the Hospital is just over the road. Customer service was very very average, I asked 3 times for help with Pay TV as I was traveling with kids and was ignored. There was pubic hair in the bathroom behind the door on the floor so I guess cleaning is not high on their list....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was looking forward to spending 3 nights at Randwick Lodge since I had previously heard it recommended by a colleague, but my experience there was horrible.

Pros:
1. Convenient location, close to Belmore Rd and UNSW, however see also Con #1 for the location...
2. Bed was pretty comfortable.
3. Cute tables in a courtyard if you want to sit outside

Cons:
1. The location so close to Belmore makes it a very noisy area. I had a room bordering a side road and there was so much foot and car traffic that I slept poorly every night I was there. There would be loud voices from people walking by the room until 2 am each night, and there was also a lot of noise from inside the hotel (but this is not necessarily their fault considering there was a uni function going on that had a lot of students staying there). The noise was not worth being close to Belmore, especially considering there are other lodges (High Cross Park, Perous, Avoca) just down the road that are more quiet.
2. Internet is "complimentary" but does not work, regardless of where you are in the building. I had to refresh a page for 10 minutes just to get my email, even though it would say I had a strong connection.
3. Tile floors had not been swept and the bathroom also seemed dirty.
4. Laundry facilities were broken

I would not have been too bothered by the things above had I not paid $140/night for the room, and a few nights before had paid $90/night at High Cross and received a clean, quiet room with working internet. I'm sure this lodge could be very nice if you are in a room away from the roads and don't need the internet for your work.

Room Tip: Avoid being near any road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Comfortable, clean enough and close to where we needed to be. Road is a bit noisy and if you are staying for more than a couple of nights you might need to request a toilet paper top up. Value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Back room away from the road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Randwick is in an old historic building that's been converted to a hotel. The building certainly has its charm but its age is showing in the lack of elevators, stairs that seem to slant a bit, and spots of rust on the metal door frames.

I would recommend this hotel for a shorter, budget stay since it is a cheaper taxi ride from the airport than the downtown hotels (about $35 if I recall right). You would think that it would be hard to get around from here if you looked at a map but there was a surprisingly large number of buses that go from just out front of the hotel directly to the heart of Sydney (Hyde Park). Check out the time table on http://www.131500.com.au/ and see for yourself. I assume this is owing to the Prince of Wales hotel directly across the street which is a major transportation draw.

Speaking of across the street, there is a little grocery store directly across the road, convenient for fresh fruit, bottled water and such. There's not really much facilities to cook in the rooms but you could always make sandwiches and what not. There are a couple of restaurants in convenient walking distance. Nothing to write home about but decent, neighborhood type joints.

The room was clean although it felt a bit sterile. The bedding was average to good. The AC was quiet and efficient.

My only complaint was the windows, due to their old wood frame without counter weight style, had no screens. I tried to open the window for some fresh air and that promptly let in a lizard so we had to keep the windows closed.

Check their opening times unless you're planning to come or go at key times. They open later than most hotels and there is no way in when the lobby counter isn't manned (unless you've already checked in and have a key).

For what it's worth, I was on the fence between "average" and "very good" and my wife talked me into the very good rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
sydney_lodges, Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for leaving your comments and feedback. We value guest feedback immensely, it helps us to continually improve the guest experience at Randwick Lodge as well as other Sydney Lodges properties.

We're happy to hear you found the rooms clean and comfortable, and the location convenient. In regards to window we do have some restrictions due to Randwick being an iconic Heritage Listed Building. Please note we have also recently changed over all beds throughout the property.

Thank you for booking at Randwick Lodge, part of Sydney Lodges. We hope to see you again soon at one of our Sydney Lodges on your next visit.

Regards,
Matthew Thoars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Randwick
Royal Hotel at Randwick
St Marks Lodge
St Marks Lodge
#2 of 7 in Randwick
3.5 of 5 stars 153 reviews

Been to Randwick Lodge? Share your experiences!