“Lodge usability” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Randwick Lodge

Save Saved
You added Randwick Lodge to your Saves list
Randwick Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Avoca St, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Randwick
Armidale, Australia
“Lodge usability”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Lodge makes it very easy to co- ordinate my trips to Sydney due to it's position and angst free coming and going. Close to transport to airport and city is a big plus. One thing that may be of assistance to patrons is some connectivity with some of the local restaraunts possibly with some deals on meals.

Room Tip: Most rooms are very servicable and practical
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for staying at Randwick Lodge and reviewing us here on Tripadvisor.

We're happy to hear you find it easy and convenient to stay at Randwick Lodge time and time again. The location in Randwick really is quite central and with so many busses and taxis, it's very easy to get around Sydney as you've said. I have passed your comments about the connectivity with local restaurants to the marketing manager, what a great idea.

Thank you again for staying with Randwick Lodge, part of Sydney Lodges. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Canberra ACT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Heritage room I stayed in was roomy with a caravan sized ensuite, It was at the front of the lodge so fronted the main street and was quite noisy from people and traffic. Double glazed windows could probbably improve the room greatly. The bathroom had lots of mould but otherwise clean. The rooms are not seviced daily. Parking can be a problem but ask first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with Sydney Lodges at Randwick Lodge.

It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure having you. We're sorry to hear you found mould in the bathroom. This most certainly was a cleaning mistake that has been passed on the manager. We take cleanliness and hygiene very seriously and unfortunately we have fallen short here. I apologise immensely for this.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments here on Tripadvisor, we hope to see you again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Following up on my last review of a year ago, I was very disappointed to see the same peeling paint on the wall, the same "out of order" sign on the washer, a new "out of order" sign on the dryer, and the same low level of housekeeping. Worst of all, I briefly had a ground floor room with an overpowering smell of disinfectant. The toilet from the upper floor emptied through a large pipe through my room, sounding like a waterfall in the middle of the night. Avoid the ground floor at all costs!

Room Tip: top floor in old building, anywhere in the new block at the back
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hi Helen,

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your third visit to Randwick Lodge. I'm concerned about the comment you made regarding the peeling paint, if you wouldn't mind contacting us to advise us exactly where this was it would help us out a lot. Was this in your room or in one of the public areas? Either way, I apologise for this, it certainly seems that something has gone missed which should be corrected.

We were having problems with the power to the washer and dryer room on the weekend that you stayed. The washing machine has certainly not been out of service for a year as you may have thought. This issue has since been rectified.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy staying in the Lower Ground Room. This room certainly is the most affordable room, however it is so affordable because it doesn't offer the same level of comfort as our Heritage Rooms or Executive Suites.

I do hope you will return to a Sydney Lodges property again someday to give us a chance to redeem ourselves. We have six lodges in Randwick, with many different styles and prices to choose from. Hopefully you will be able to find something suitable for your next stay.
merriwa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My friend and I booked 3 weeks in advance executive suite and when we arrived were given 1 key and told we would be given another in the morning.We were there for 4 days and despite numerous requests no second key was forthcoming.When 1 of us needed to get in no one offered a master key or to let us in.it was pouring with rain and after a painful visit to the dentist a visit to an ear specialist had to be made in wet clothing and very cold.The evening we checked in the window blind fell off the wall and reception hung a blanket over the window.The lighting or should I say the lack of made it impossible to read in bed and if you want some proper news from the ABC forget it as they only have populous commercial channels with adds!!The wastetbins in the room and the toilet had not been emptied before we arrived so we did it ourselves.Despite requesting clean towels we never got any till the evening before check out.Mangement please don't respond by saying you have no complaint on file as we made a firm complaint about the key which received no response whatsoever.The price might be reasonable but the complaints we are making only apply to basic service not luxuries.Would never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, it sounds absolutely horrendous.

Having only one key for the room is certainly unacceptable. We have multiple keys for all rooms, I have no idea why there was no second key located for you. I have passed this information on to the manager to have this looked at.

I find it very odd behaviour for a team member of Sydney Lodges to hang a blanket over you window to correct the broken blind problem. I will look further into this, this is certainly not a standard that Sydney Lodges finds acceptable whatsoever. I apologise for this embarrassing occurrence.

We're sorry about the issues you had with the lights, the TV channels, the rubbish bins, the towels and the rain.

We hope you'll return to a Sydney Lodges property soon to give us a chance to redeem ourselves.
Pasig City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Sydney Lodges have about 5 properties at Randwick Junction and the location is good. However, do not expect any guest services from the management, complaints end on deaf ears. The front desk available from 8am to 8pm will commit and It will not be done.
What made it worst was when I lost my iPad and they do not allow you to view their CCTV recordings.
If you really want to stay at Randwick Junction which is convenient to the Hospital and UNSW, consider the hotel at Perouse Rd & Cuthill St. They have 24 hours service and discount for 1 week stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hi Denise,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor about your experience at Randwick Lodge.

We take customer service extremely seriously at Sydney Lodges and pride ourselves on very high customer satisfaction levels due to our outstanding front office teams. As there is no record of any complaints being made on your booking folio, I'm unsure as to what you're referring to with regards to the complaints you've referred to in your review, however if we have fallen short of our usually very high standards, I apologise immensely on behalf of our brand.

Reception hours are always adhered to, however as we only have one receptionist on at any one time, occasionally they will close the reception for 5 or 10 minutes to get lunch or take a short break. I apologise if you required service in one of these temporary moments of closure.

As I understand it, after speaking with the hotel manager, the CCTV footage showed no evidence that you were ever in possession of this iPad you claim was lost. Furthermore, for the security of all guests, which we take very seriously, we have a company policy to never show CCTV footage to anyone outside of the management team. I'm sorry to hear you thought very different of the situation which was quite clear on the footage obtained.

We hope you will return someday soon, to give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the areas you have pointed out.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stay regularly at Randwick Lodge. The Executive Rooms are at the back of the hotel and quiet, away from traffic. They are clean and everything works fine including wireless internet. Location is good for UNSW and for airport (Bus 400 stops nearby). Rooms only serviced every 3 days though.

Room Tip: Its worth upgrading to the Executive Rooms to avoid street noise
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hi Charles,

Thank you for providing us and future guests with your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoy staying in our newly renovated Executive Rooms at Randwick Lodge. We think they're a great solution for corporate and business travel to the area. We do only service the rooms every three days to keep your room rate as low as possible, however you can always request additional services for a small charge if you wish. We find most of our guests prefer to have the option and keep the room rate at its lowest.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. We hope to see you soon.
Seremban, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I came in at 10 pm and it was raining. They had already locked up for the night and I really didn't think they would come and open up the Lodge. But, hey, just one call and 10 mins later Mark was at the doorstep and I got a room for the night!
The room itself was more than sufficient for a single traveller. The electric kettle had a wire that was too short to reach the plug-hole without putting some books under it, which is about the only shortcoming I could find.
There is a convenience store right across the road where I bought an umbrella, there is a bus stop on the doorstep and several eateries within 2 mins walking distance. Also a large shopping centre, Randwick Shopping Centre.
The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the facilities in the surroundings.
All in all a great place for the price.
Will definitely stay there again next time I am in Sydney.

Room Tip: Didn't go to the gym or pool. Sorry.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, Guest Relations Manager at Randwick Lodge, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Hi Pravin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Randwick Lodge.

We pride ourselves in extremely high standards of customer service at Sydney Lodges, it's fantastic to hear you experienced this with the service you received from Mark.

I have passed your comments regarding the kettle cord on to the housekeeping department to have this looked at. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback on Tripadvisor, we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Been to Randwick Lodge? Share your experiences!