“Good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Perouse Lodge

You added Perouse Lodge to your Saves list
Perouse Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   6 Perouse Road, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia   |
Narrabri, Australia
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here because of treatment in the Prince of Wales hospital which is only a short walk from the hotel. We had booked 2 nights but told them on the day of booking depending on how the treatent effected me that maybe we would have to stay a day or 2 longer. That I was told would be no bother. It was a good thing that I WAS able to travel the following day beacuse when asked at the desk that we may stay one more day the answer was.." the room is booked.."& that they had no more rooms. They said that people book online & they have no control over this, So I would strongly advice that IF you need more days book in advance you can always cancel providing you give 24 hrs notice. The room was small but comfortable. Needs more area to make tea etc. And the shower room is a joke.. only place I know where one can sit on the toilet & rest your head on the basin. Had to come out of shower & into bedroom to dry off. Also it is in bad need of a shelf to put soaps etc on, Rooms cleanish, found old dirtysocks in wardrobe with blankets which wasn't very good.

Room Tip: More area to place things also in bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Perouse Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for your comments and feedback.

We're happy to hear you had an overall good experience and enjoyed the location of the hotel. It really is very central in Randwick and close to everything.

Perouse Lodge is extremely popular due to it's location and great value for money as you suggest. We are always happy to help and understand how sporadic the hospital movements can be, so amending bookings is never an issue. However, due to the popularity bookings do fly in if rooms are left available, so of course we always recommend booking the total length you might be staying and then amend it from there if you need to, to avoid being left without a room if we book out.

We take cleanliness very seriously. I'm sorry about the error of socks being left in your room. This is completely unacceptable and below our usually very high standards of room cleanliness. I have passed your comments on to the housekeeping manager to investigate how this happened.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you someday again, hopefully under better circumstances than a hospital visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed 3 days - the room was small but comfortable. Only changed towels on 3rd day - didn't even empty rubbish or make bed - cups & glasses weren't cleaned and no tea towel was provided. Room was 2nd on left from foyer and very noisy when other guests passing by - maybe some sort of sign asking other guests to be considerate of noise levels after 10 pm. Room had some odd odours but noticed this was from restaurant next door - closing windows and using aircon fixed that issue. . The cafe next door was excellent.
Was offered free wifi for a Facebook 'like' but had to ask and the late checkout offered was still only 11 am.
Carpet was tired looking and stained. Bathroom was good.
The accommodation is a little expensive for the facilities and service offered but was close to the location we needed to visit and so would probably use again

Room Tip: Book a room away from the foyer to avoid too much noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback.

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the very convenient location of Perouse Lodge. It really is in a great spot.

I do apologise for the noise. I do hope you notified reception so that they could rectify the issue. I apologise if this disrupted your night. I have passed your suggestion about the sign on to the manager of the hotel for consideration.

We're glad you got to benefit from the free WIFi and late check-out for the Facebook 'like', however this should have been 12pm, I apologise if you were not advised of this.

Thank you for letting us know about the carpet. We have noted this down and passed this on to the housekeeping and maintenance managers. We believe the value for money is unparalleled in the area, I'm sorry if you thought this was not the case.

We thank you again for leaving your review, and we look forward to seeing you again someday soon.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

The location is quite strategic. Around Randwick area, a lot of restaurants nearby. It's easy to go to the city and airport by bus. The room is rather small for 2 persons. Facilities inside the room is decent. Room service is a bit poor. They clean the room once every two days and I think they didn't change the bed sheet for a week. The price is slightly too expensive in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Perouse Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Thank you for leaving your comments.

I'm glad you found the location convenient, being so central in the Randwick area.

We do have some larger King Rooms and 1 Bedroom Apartments available if you need more space in the room for your next visit. I apologise if these were booked out when you made your booking, they are very popular. Perouse Lodge is known for having some of the lowest rates in the area, and to keep these rates as low as possible for you, we service the rooms every second day and do a linen change once a week, just as you might do at home. We leave the optional $25 for extra room cleaning services up to you to decide, therefore allowing each guest to monitor how much they spend on their accommodation. Many of our guests enjoy this more optional pricing structure as it allows them to taylor an accommodation solution right for their budget.

Thank you again for leaving your comments and we hope to see you again one day in the near future.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Great location if needing to visit Prince of Wales Hospital. Top quality local restaurants less than 500 metres down the road. Building very old and musty smelling. I think they have tried to update it without addressing moisture problems or something. Carpet didn’t look stained but it smelt damp. Room neat and tidy BUT over sprayed with deodoriser. Ensuite very small with a huge basin that you had to step around to sit on the toilet. Shower was fantastic although probably not as clean as I’d like. Great little cafe at the entrance that does a lovely breakfast and wonderful freshly squeezed orange juice. Over all we didn’t mind things that were not so good because of it’s convenience and our short length of stay. Three star is being generous. Oh and there are only 3 parking spaces out the back and no street parking nearby that is longer than 3 hours. Staff not at all helpful with directions to long stay parking. We parked at the hospital for $20 (maximum, one entry).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the great location of Perouse Lodge, being so close to the Prince of Wales Hospital and the University of NSW.

I'm sorry to hear you had some minor complaints about the building and the room itself. I have passed your comments about the maintenance issues on to the maintenance manager to address. I do apologise if the room had a strong deodoriser smell, our housekeeping team must have just cleaned it in time for your early arrival.

At Sydney Lodges we take cleanliness and hygiene very seriously. I am concerned to hear you felt your shower was not cleaned to our usual standard. I have passed this information on to our housekeeping manager to address how this occurred and prevention for the future.

I do apologise if you had some parking issues while in Randwick. Being a very busy area it can be tricky from time to time. Our team most certainly should have helped you to find a solution, I'll be speaking with the hotel management to investigate why we fell short in customer service on this rare occasion.

Thank you again for your feedback and comments.
Christchurch, NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Excellent room plus location.

My only problem was that the staff member on reception was not aware of the details in the hotel information in the rooms, examples were that they were not aware where 'the spot' was, which was the eating area recommended in the room guide and indeed was 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Also the hotel information stated there was luggage storage facilities and then I was told to leave my luggage in reception and pick it up after my business meeting - this to me is not a storage facility as there is a risk of it being taken if reception was busy.

The staff member was polite and stated they were new there, this is more a staff training issue. The hotel information also needs to be correct.

Otherwise it was thoroughly enjoyable with the room being clean, quiet, and comfortable and the neighbouring cafe serving excellent food and coffee.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for leaving your comments and feedback.

I'm very happy to hear you though the Perouse Lodge experience was great value for money. We're very conscious of providing the best value accommodation in the area and it seems we are on the right track.

I do apologise sincerely if the staff member who was on shift when you required area information was unsure or uninformed about local popular spots. I have passed your comments on to the training manager for Sydney Lodges to try and investigate how this occurred and hopefully prevent this happening again in the future.

We do offer luggage storage at Perouse Lodge in reception, which is monitored all the time by the front office team. We always suggest leaving any valuables behind the reception desk if you are at all concerned, however I can assure you the reception area is a very safe place to leave your belongings if you need to do so before your flight.

I do hope you will visit us again at Perouse Lodge. Thank you again for leaving your comments.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Was in a good location for what I was looking at doing, easy to get around. Really liked the free WiFi after I "liked" them on Facebook. Beds comfortable but rooms a little on the small side but was fine for what I was looking for as not a lot of time spent at the lodge.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for leaving your feedback.

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your stay at Perouse Lodge. We love it when we get things just right for our guests. Of course we do have some larger rooms such as the King Rooms and 1 Bedroom Apartments if you would like some more space for your next stay.

We do hope we will see you again in the future.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I was happy with the room except for the following:
(a) the servicing was not consistent - (i) I figured that a change in towel and replenishment of toiletries was done every other day, which is fine with me. However, there was one day which did not conform to this pattern, and I had to ask for fresh towels and additional toiletries. (ii) The weekly full servicing could be better scheduled. Since I stayed for 15 days, the full servicing could have been done on the fifth or sixth day, and again on the 11th day, in order for me to experience the full benefits of the cleaning, instead of on the seventh and 13th.
(b) there seems to be water seepage from the bath area to the floor to the left of the toilet bowl

I was very happy with the kitchen facilities :)

I was also happy that it was convenient to take a bus to Haymarket as well as Circular Quay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback and comments.

I'm glad to hear you were happy overall with your stay at Perouse Lodge. You are quite right, to keep the room rates as low as possible for the guests, we service the rooms every second day, with a full change of all bed linen once per week. This gives guests the option to taylor an accommodation solution right for their budget, with extra cleaning services which you can purchase any day for an additional $25. I do agree with you though, the days of which the full service was carried out did not maximise the benefits to you, the guest. I will speak with housekeeping about how we can avoid this in the future by servicing on more appropriate days for a guest's stay.

I have handed your comments about the maintenance issue on to the maintenance manager. Thank you for letting us know about this.

We hope to see you again someday soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Randwick
Randwick Lodge
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
Meriton Serviced Apartments Zetland, Sydney
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

Been to Perouse Lodge? Share your experiences!