“Surprisingly enjoyable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde to your Saves list
Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7-11 Talavera Road, North Ryde, Ryde, New South Wales 2113, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in North Ryde
Canberra
“Surprisingly enjoyable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

got a very good room rate off their own site. Although their packages didn't seem to add up to the value. Hotel and room are great - in excellent condition, very clean, well run. The room is spacious. Firm bed, usual standard linen and toiletries and supplies in the room. full mini bar and tea/coffee. When booking on line their site allowed me to select a few options - like extra towels (which were not supplied), foam pillows (which seemed to be supplied) and higher floor - we got the top floor. This came with a "balcony" which really is just the balcony sliding door and a balcony railing - there is no balcony to speak off. But still it was nice to be able to open the door and have full size glass wall. The bathroom was a bit tight - the door and the toilet clashed and made it hard for 2 ppl to come and go. Short walk to the train station, right near the expressway entrance and only 4 or 5 blocks to the large Macquarie Shopping Centre. Staff were very pleasant and accommodated requests readily. We also had the buffet breakfast in Orchards Restaurant. typical menu as anywhere - but they did well with some items - the poached eggs were still soft and runny. Wide selection of multiple fruits. The chicken sausage was low in fat and cooked well - not over done. hash brown was crispy not soggy. The automatic pancake machine looked a bit sad. Also available a very good selection of cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, juice, toast station, hot items (eggs, mushrooms, bacon, sausages, baked beans, tomato).
the internet is $10/day - reasonable (although I used my phone - in a 4G zone) Parking is supposedly $21/day but we were there on public holiday so free. A couple of casual restaurants next door. View is not much - we looked out the back of the hotel at the car parks and office buildings around us. I would stay again - very nice!

Room Tip: Higher floor and at the back to keep away from the noise of Lane Cove Road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences for your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay. It also gives me great pleasure to share your feedback with all our associates who have done an excellent job in maintaining and delivering the quality of breakfast you would expect from a Marriott Hotel and maintaining the cleanliness of the entire hotel.
For your future stays I can also recommend the experience of our loft suite rooms. These loft rooms are New York style split apartment with separate living and bed room area and 1.5 bathrooms and make an excellent choice for couples and families.
Once again thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back.
Sudhir

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Visiting from USA and looking for something well priced compared to downtown Sydney prices. Came across this great option. Room rates are fantastic. Very clean and well appointed. Staff are very friendly.

New train station makes access to downtown very easy. Travel after 9am for off peak rates to city.

Felt breakfast prices were outrageous but many options across the street (McD) and 7-11 a short walk away for supplies.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor on opposite side to main road
Dear Guest
Thank you for making us your home during your holidays. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guest and I am glad we have delivered the Marriott product and services.
I would also take this opportunity to inform about various breakfast options in our hotel. There are 4 breakfasts to choose from:
• Grab and Go for $7.50 (Includes a choice of Danish pastries/Egg and Bacon muffin/Bircher Muesli and regular coffee)
• Cereal buffet for $14
• Continental buffet for $21
• Full buffet breakfast for $29
Once again thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you.
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Quiet friendly staff who were ready to say a Hi. Very good veggie soup. Clean and nice room. I used the Business Centre for a while and it was very nice too. They have a shuttle to drop you off to the nearby offices, and what I appreciated very much was the driver gave me a special drop since the next one was not due in a while. There is a Subway across the road. Liked my stay there and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experiences during your recent stay at Courtyard North Ryde. I am very grateful for your kind words and is proud of the team to deliver an excellent stay. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with all our associates and we look forward to welcome you back.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed on two separate occasions recently and rooms were clean and quiet. Arrived at 2.30 pm but both times had to wait until 3pm for the room to be ready (when the actual check in time is) and then once in the room there were not enough towels, mugs,glasses for 3 people, on the first occasion this was quickly sorted, the second time it took 3 phone calls so abit slack in that area.

We found the glass wall between bathroom and bedroom a weird design choice as if someone was using the toilet in the middle of the night the whole room lit up. Otherwise furniture was comfy.

Checked out the dinner menu in the restaurant downstairs, (pricey) so went to Ribs and Rumps next door where they have an eat in or take out menu. Buffet breakfast was included in price of room, it was nice, and staff did a good job replenishing dishes as it was busy both mornings.

All up it was a decent hotel, convenient for Homebush Bay and surrounds.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed for 1 night in Dec 2013 for a business meeting in Macquarie park. The location is great for business, but not good for a Sydney vacation.

The room was comfortable, clean and well maintained. It had decent TV channels and free Wi-Fi for Marriott rewards members. The staff in the hotel (check in, room service, restaurant) were all very pleasent and professional.

The only downside is that the food in the hotel is horrible, and by that I mean its barely editable. I ordered a burger from room service which was dry, solid and tasteless - I left half. As I was working in the room I then ordered a ceaser salad which had brown leaves and a disgusting sauce - I left it all. At breakfast the selection is a small buffet with low quality food - I just ate a muffin Which was solid and over sweet. The only food options I could find within walking distance was McD and KFC, which in retrospect would have been better. There is a shopping centre with a food court 15minutes away by foot.

If you don't need to eat in the hotel it deserves 4/5. But if you need any food, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experiences for your stay at Courtyard North Ryde
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our food facilities. . I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Operations Manager and Head Chef, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary checks are in place to ensure the quality of food being served
It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write on trip advisor as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us to continually improve.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We decided to stay here on a Saturday night. There was a music festival at Sydney Olympic Park, some 15 minutes south of the hotel. Subsequently the hotel was absolutely full of music festival patrons wanting a supposedly nice place to sleep.

I am a club Marriott member and I booked a weekend deal with a *free upgrade to a "balcony" room. I can understand that the hotel was very busy and a room upgrade was not possible. So we were given a room with a sealed window. After seeing the balconies from the exterior of the hotel, I don't believe we missed out on much, apart from the fact we could get some fresh air. The balconies just looked like railings protruding about 2 feet from the building, so there wouldn't be much room to stand out there and look at the business park or main road.

We were told that parking was free on weekends, however we were never informed to allow 30 minutes to find a car park and try to guess where we were allowed to park. The hotel car park had a boom gate and went around the building. Then there were neighbouring car parks that all had flip up metal bollards locked on them, preventing anyone from parking in the spot. We were told by another confused hotel guest that we should just do what others did, and double park between two bollards. We called the hotel who confirmed that we can simply just double park like other guests, in the neighbouring business car park. Our vehicle was too wide to do so. I ended up running up to every bollard and seeing if there was one that didn't have a padlock on it, to flip it down.

The foyer was locked, we had to press a button for someone to let us into the hotel. The front desk man was unhelpful and vague. He did not smile or tell us where the lifts were or even give directions to our room.

After we lugged our bags into the lift that smelt like a public restroom (they had an electronic toilet air freshener on the wall where everyone looks when waiting in the lift), we walked through the hallway that had an odd pungent smell.

Our standard room was below standard. Our bathroom bin had no bin liner (bag), the bathroom was very tiny, because of the big awkward and unnecessary bath. The wall between the bathroom (shower) and the bed area was actually just a piece of frosted glass, so if anyone wanted to use the bathroom with a light on, they would wake up anyone that was trying to sleep.

The shower was horrendous. It was either boiling hot or ice cold and had the option of either slow dribble or ultra fast and painful flow. It's a wonder no one has slipped in the bath and taken out their annoying translucent glass wall.

The room was not comfortable, the mini bar was full of so many bottles I couldn't even fit my one bottle of water in there. I couldn't shut the room door because the rubber seal was falling off. We couldn't shut the bathroom door because it wouldn't click shut. When we tried to use the phone line in the hotel, it didn't work. We couldn't even call the main hotel number from our mobile phones.

There was an abundance of power outlets in the room, but unfortunately the one I chose to charge my phone, did not work. The room service was delicious! The only credit to this hotel was the food! Yum!

The guest information book did not have any information about what time buffet breakfast was on. It turns out it's only available till 10am, on a weekend. Considering check out was at 12pm, this was just ridiculous. We sadly had to get McDonalds breakfast across the road, which had a lot of other hotel guests getting breakfast there.

Unfortunately this was a very disappointing stay. The one positive thing was the food, but we didn't even get to try the buffet because they closed it at 10am. I understand this is just a Courtyard Marriott, however I believe anything in the Marriott group should have better standards.

I wouldn't stay here again, the hassle of parking and the unhelpful staff were enough to deter me and my family/friends from any possibility of future stays at this establishment.

Room Tip: It looks like the bottom floor rooms on the business park side have a small courtyard area. Only a f...
Dear Guest
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and in particular the loyalty our Marriott Rewards Members’ show towards our hotel brands. After reading your feedback I would like to take the opportunity to offer my most sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered. We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our facilities and I wish to discuss more in details with you over the phone to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to rectify any defects with our cleanliness and paying close attention to availability of car park.
I would truly appreciate if you could please email me your full name and mobile number on “Sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com”.
It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write on trip advisor as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward to speak to you.
With warm regards from Sydney,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here on business for 3 days this Sept. The hotel is in a business area and so very convenient to client offices. It's also close to the train station, literally a 5-7 min walk away and so very easy to commute from.
The room was very nice, well furnished and clean as you would expect from a Marriott hotel. Room service is good and there are some small restaurants just behind the property as well as a 7-11 a short walk away. They also have a small store behind the counter where you can buy snacks and other small things. The reception staff is friendly and helpful when I needed access to the business center.
However, what really set it apart is my experience with one of the reception staff and her friendly, flexible service. We had an important client workshop and had a taxi booked from the night before to pick us up at 8am at the hotel. However for some reason the booking didn't go through and we were left stranded and anxious at being late for the workshop. Amazingly, the lady at the reception (unfortunately we didn't get her name) took full responsibility for this and borrowed her manager's car to drop us to the venue! We were really touched by this gesture especially as the reception was really busy at that time of day. She knew all the best routes and we reached earlier than we expected to with enough time to set up. This really stayed in our minds as the hotel could simply have tried booking us another cab and not worried about the delay, instead this gesture turned the whole experience around for us and it was much appreciated. Needless to say I will be staying here everytime I visit Sydney on business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Guest

It gives me great pleasure to read about your experiences. We strive to ensure that we can exceed each guest expectation and I am glad on this particular occasion we did. I would be sharing your remarks with all our team member and we look forward to welcome you back.

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!