“Courtyard Marriott North Ryde tries to charge for Free Upgrades!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde

You added Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde to your Saves list
Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7-11 Talavera Road, North Ryde, Ryde, New South Wales 2113, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in North Ryde
Melbourne
“Courtyard Marriott North Ryde tries to charge for Free Upgrades!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Chose the location as it was near a business conference location. What a mistake!! On check in "Amy" told us that there were no room upgrades available for two double beds. Ok, I understand this, even though it did not appear that the hotel was anywhere near full. However, she could upgrade me to a Loft Suite, Parking and internet for an extra $90. As a Gold Elite member I am eligible for a free room upgrade, free premium internet and parking at the hotel is also free. $90 was an excessive amount and by the way the loft suite only had one king bed and a pull out sofa bed. We chose to stay in the room that we had originally booked. Also it was disappointing not having the Rewards program honoured. We did get an apple, banana, plum and six grapes (they should not have bothered) sent to our room with a "Welcome Gold Elite Member" card. It's disappointing that they just didn't honour the program in the first instance.

Whilst the rooms are clean they are definitely NOT up to a Marriott standard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had a pleasant stay - from 18 April to 22 April 2013 at the loft suite on the 8th floor. Three of us shared the loft suite. I took the lower floor with the sofa bed which was surprisingly very comfortable to sleep on. There is a small toilet on the lower floor. Neat and tidy. The wash basin was a bit small though. As such, water tended to splash onto the floor. A hook onto the toilet door would have been good to hang the shower towels. In the next upgrading programme, the wash basin could be changed to a bigger one. An additional little shower area would be a bonus. Therefore, one would not need to intrude into the privacy of those on the upper floor.
Housekeeping staff - to fold back the sofa bed on the following first morning - responded promptly. Displayed great attitude.
The frontline staff were friendly and helpful too. Though the room rate came with breakfast for two, the frontline staff was kind enough to waive the breakfast charge for the third guest. That was nice indeed.
Dining area was small but cosy. Buffet breakfast spread was reasonable. Serving staff were prompt and attentive. Once I ordered cappuccino. Not very sure though whether it was inclusive in the room rate as the self-service coffee machine was out of order on that morning. If you wish to have eggs with additional condiments like ham, tomatoes, mushrooms etc, there will be an extra charge of AUS $10 I was told.
Location wise, the Macquarie Park Station was just 5-7 minutes walk from the hotel. By CityRail, it takes about 20-25 minutes to go downtown. There is a Macdonald and KFC across the hotel. Did not get the chance to check them out though.
Overall, it is a great hotel if you have to stay outside the city.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really went back and forth on what ranking to give this hotel 4/5 or 5/5. I finally settled on 4/5 because of a few small issues, but this could easily be an Excellent 5/5.

The hotel is in a great location, driving around I saw many different multi-national corporations that seem to be headquartered in the area, my company was located up the road in Belrose, but still an easy commute against traffic. It is conveniently located near the highway for driving into the CBD, and I saw subway stations on the nearby corner as well. Also, just around the corner is the Macquarie Centre which is a good shopping centre with many different food options and a very confusing layout so it feels like a different place every visit!

The service in the hotel was very good, check in and check out was quick, friendly and efficient.

The internet service provided came in two choices complimentary and premium. As a rewards member I get complimentary internet access in the Asia Pacific region, and I was confused about which I could select and get for free. I used the basic complimentary and that worked fine, I could stream videos, although i couldn't use FaceTime or Skype on my phone.

I did find the breakfast to be a bit of a limited selection for 35AUD, and ate breakfast at the McDonald's across the street for much cheaper. Also the TV Channel selection was slightly limited on international channel selections. But both of these issues are minor and not a reason not to stay.

Overall I would absolutely recommend this place. The location is convenient, the rooms are clean, and the service is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde. I am glad you enjoyed our product and services.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments about the limited channels on TV with our Engineering Supervisor and General Manager; it is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide.

I would also take this opportunity to inform that our breakfast has four options:
1. Grab and Go Breakfast for $7.5 (Choice of a small coffee and Danish pastry or egg and bacon roll or fruit and yoghurt)
2. Cereal buffet Breakfast for $14
3. Continental Breakfast for $22
4. Full hot buffet Breakfast for $29

Once again we thank you for your stay and we look forward to welcome you back.

Warm Regards

Sudhir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff really make this hotel a great place to stay. It is a favourite now, having stayed at least six times in eighteen months. The staff welcome us each time, now by name, and are friendly yet very professional.

We stayed in a Loft Suite this time, and it is really worth the extra cost. The room is large and the upstairs area with the king bed, chaise lounge and TV is a great retreat, particularly with the ensuite and dressing room on the same level. The powder room next o the lounge room is also fantastic, and I was told the sofa bed was great to sleep on.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast and had two evening meals in the restaurant. The food is simple but delicious and the wait staff were fantastic.

This is still a great bargain over the weekends and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to stay in the CBD but close enough by public transport or not far at all by car as long as you're not driving around during peak hour.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter. Loft suites are much larger.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

When we go to Sydney we usually opt to stay on the harbour but because of the location of an evening engagement in Gordon we chose to stay here. The check in was extremely quick and we were informed our package included free parking, free breakfast,late check out and a free bottle of wine.What more could we want! Our room was very spacious and very usable. I was impressed with the layout and also with the lovely king size bed.
Although on a main road the room was extremely quiet and we had quite a pleasant view.
When we approached the desk after checking into our room I was again impressed with the professional attitude of the staff by being called by my name.A small thing but something which shows a caring attitude.
I would most certainly recommend this hotel to my friends and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here in the future.

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.
We strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Courtyard” experience and I am glad that on this occasion your thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
Once again we thank you for your stay and we look forward to welcome you back.

Warm Regards

Sudhir
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights for business as its well located in the business area. It's a complete rip off. I paid almost $300 a night for an upgraded room. The room is ok but for $300 a night I was expecting more. The bath towels are tiny. Like large hand towels. The breakfast is embarrassingly bad. Maybe the worst meal I have eaten in the last year. I settled for cornflakes and a hash brown, a cool $30 for the pleasure. It's busy because if lack of competition. Luckily I wasn't paying for it myself. The rooms are clean but old and the furniture is average. Would I stay here again?? I really hope not it was appalling

• Stayed April 2013
Sudhir Y, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences, regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott North Ryde.
We certainly appreciate the business of all our guests and we strive to ensure the complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, and pride ourselves of our high standards of service and attention to detail. It is always our purpose to ensure that every guest receives the true “Courtyard” experience and I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
I am extremely sorry for the experience you had with our breakfast and I would like to hear more about specific things you did not enjoy so that we can resolve them. I completely understand that this experience was far from convenient and very pleased you brought this matter to my attention. My contact email is Sudhir.yadav@courtyard.com.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Housekeeping Manager, who I shall work with, to ensure all the necessary actions are implemented to rectify any defects with our rooms, paying close attention to our linen and furniture.

It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve the services and facilities we provide. I do thank you again for taking the time to write to me as Marriott does appreciate all of our guests’ valuable feedback as it is essential to us and I am really looking forward hopefully welcoming you back to our beautiful city again one day.

With warm regards,

Sudhir Yadav
Tegal, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I booked Courtyard by Marriott Sydney since it was incredibly cheap comparing to the downtown hotels in Sydney eventhough probably some people would prefer staying in the heart of the city but I wouldn't mind at all staying in a non-touristy area. However, we were very happy since the neighbourhood area is so peaceful but still near to the restaurants and Macquarie Park train station.

We booked their airport pickup service since the price is not that too differ with the taxi. I estimate that the taxi would cost 70-80 AUD to the hotel while the hotel offers 95 AUD for the pick up service. Since we don't want to waste our time so we prefer using pickup from the hotel. We asked an early check-in for both of our rooms since we would arrive at 8:40-9:00 am in Sydney and Mr. Sudhir Yadav replied me that he would do their best to accommodate us.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the airport pick-up and the journey took about 30-45 minutes (I forgot exactly). We were so delighted that we could get early check-in at 10 am in the morning !!! we were so tired after exhausting multiple flights from Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur-Melbourne then Sydney in one night so we were happy of it. We were placed on the highest floor (7th; if I'm not mistaken) and both of our rooms are typical Courtyard hotels; minimalistic design but yet well-maintained and seems very new. Their double beds are big; so you could put 2 Asian persons on each bed so in total the room could accommodate 4 persons per room. lol. Got free internet (as Marriott Rewards member) is another plus thing.

We booked the rooms with breakfast packages since I read that the breakfast would cost 20 something/person. However if you would like to book room only, you might also have breakfast in McDonald's nearby. The area surrounding the hotel is very pleasant to walk since there are many trees outside so you won't feel bored to just have a walk in the morning.

To summarize, the hotel is really good value for the cheaper options rather than staying in heart of Sydney and you will get free internet if you are Marriott Rewards members.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde? Share your experiences!