“Not Bad, but Not Great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde

You added Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde to your Saves list
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 12 Busaco Rd, North Ryde, Ryde, New South Wales 2113, Australia (Formerly Medina Executive North Ryde)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in North Ryde
Bairnsdale, Australia
“Not Bad, but Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

These rooms have a lot of things going for them but a few bad points really let it down. The newly refurbished 2 bedroom apartments have heaps of space and look quite nice, there is secure undercover parking, shopping centre near by and even a bus that runs almost from your front door right into the city. All very convenient, but was let down by the amount of noise in the plumbing in our room. The toilets squealed after flushing (or sometimes just by themselves) and if the people next to us turned their water on you it was just as bad. Happened at 11pm on the first night and woke both our young children/toddlers. Made for a very interesting night. Luckily next door was empty most of our stay but we requested a move on the last night for the same reason (the second room was squeal free). I certainly wouldn't recommend staying in the 2br apartments if you have any small children. There are 2 sets of stairs with not much of a railing to stop crawlers/new walkers falling. Overall though, we would consider staying again, just not with the kids and not in the same room

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Krystal C,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde, and for leaving your valuable comments.
I am pleased to hear that you appreciate the newly refurbishment apartments, as well as the convenience of the location - with the surrounding bush land, it certainly doesn’t feel like you are in Sydney at times!
I am sorry to hear about the plumbing in the apartment and the noise from the pipes. I will have my maintenance team try to resolve this issue, as we certainly want our guests to have good nights sleep.
I can understand the concerns you have regarding the staircases in the apartments, and we do actually have guards that we place underneath the balustrades to assist in the safety of the children, as well as child gates for the tops and bottoms of the stairs.
Krystal C, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive North Ryde.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The apartments (2 bedroom per villa/town house) are clean and there is a good deal of space for a family to have a nice holiday. However, the small backyards to each of the apartments are VERY overgrown to the point that you can not enter them. The children's play area had 1/2 meter high grass, no sand in the sand pit and only had a set of swings. This was a big disappointment to the kids when we went investigating the children's play area. The pool does not have an operational toilet so you need to return to your apartment if you 'need to go'. The BBQ area is nice. We used this facility almost every night to cook our dinner. There was rubbish in the garden beds which stayed there for the whole 8 days we were there. It is located very close to Macquarie Shopping Centre and a regular bus runs outside the property. It is not a 5 Star Apartment but if you can overlook the lack of garden maintenance and a few other issues then give it a try. The kids loved the lizards roaming around the garden.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Lilyanne P,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde and for also providing your comments regarding your stay!
I have a team of handyman and gardeners on hand at the property, and we are always going through our courtyards in each apartment by schedule to ensure our courtyards are well presented. I apologise that your apartment may have fallen through the cracks, however thank you bringing this to my attention, as I could imagine with children, the more room for them to play in, the better!
As for the children’s play area; although the area is adjacent to the property with access, we unfortunately do no maintain this area, as this is council land. The area itself has been deemed 'unsafe' therefore we try to discourage guests in using this, and have also tried for the council to remove the equipment all together to avoid any further dissatisfaction, and more importantly, harm.
Lilyanne P, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Medina Executive North Ryde to play with the lizards!

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I must admit I was a little apprehensive when I read the reviews on the site, having been booked into the hotel on a short business trip with a colleague.

Well, it was definitely no Ritz, but it was reasonable priced relative to the other hotels in the area and there were 2 bedrooms, a small kitchenette & a living room area. Most importantly, the rooms & bathrooms were clean & things worked.

Did not really use the kitchen & laundry area but this would be useful for small families who need the space. The mini-bar & internet were very expensive though.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late (after 10pm), you have to go check in & get your keys from the Travelod...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Tahoch,

Thank you for staying with us a Medina Executive North Ryde and for leaving your comments.

As you saw, the apartment space that we offer at Medina Executive North Ryde is second to none, and very ideal for those who want more room then a hotel.
You would also be pleased to know that we are currently going through a refurbishment, which is scheduled to finish just before Christmas! I dont believe it will still compare to the Ritz, but we will certainly try to give it a run for its money!

Tahoch, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive North Ryde during your next visit to the North Ryde, and Macquarie area.

Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

A budget apartment with minimal service. Don't expect too much. It is very family friendly apartments. Great size. Very very very old. Poor communication between each area of complex. Stunning location and great parking.Little things mean a lot to consumers these days and we put up with bad service as our expectations are so low.I know how pointless it is voicing my concerns directly. Stay because it is size that matters for families .

Room Tip: Phone to check when your room will be ready so no waiting after 1400.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Hotelsareourlife,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North, and for also providing your valuable feedback.
At Medina, we appreciate all forms of feedback - as this allows us to identify areas for improvement.
I am delighted to hear that you appreciate the size of the apartments, location and parking facilities - these certainly are our strong points!
In regards to the apartments, you would be delighted to hear that we are currently working towards a refurbishment of each apartment, which we believe will compliment the size of the apartments and due for completion prior to the end of this calendar year (fingers crossed all goes to plan and there are no delays prior to Christmas!).
Hotelsareourlife; once again that you for providing your feedback, and we would love to welcome you back in the new year, once our refurbishment has been complete in the hope to change your perception of Medina Executive North Ryde.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed for a week on a recent business trip and was allocated a 2 storey walk-up townhouse.

It was spacious but the facilities in the apt certainly needs some upgrading. Electric kettle has no inidicating light to tell you if it's on or off. Took a while before finally figuring out.

There is a serious lack of wall plugs in the apt. Hence you got to either unplug the tv, table light or some other electrical devices before you have a spare plug to charge your phone or laptop.

Washing machine had it's water level set at low but took about 20 mins to fill to the desire level!

Overall if you are not expecting too much, this will be a decent choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Will_9441,

Thank you for staying with us a Medina Executive North Ryde, and for providing your valuable feedback.
All our guests LOVE the size of the apartments, and its certainly a big selling point for us for those with families, or those travellers who enjoy more space then a hotel can offer.
We are currently in the process now of reviewing a refurbishment at Medina Executive North Ryde within the next 3 month, which will of course have a positive impact on the property!
Will_9441, thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive North Ryde.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

If size matters- this will suit. Huge townhouses- big rooms.

For me, what's important... Rooms that don't smell of cigarette's and sting your eyes.. Noise- minimal.. Not soo here.. The whole place shook with each gust of wind!! Nice staff - at best they tolerated me.. I did not even voice my concerns on departure- and still wasn't a priority!!

Courtyard marriot is 5 minutes away and same prize..

• Stayed July 2011
TMQRMGR, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear Indi771,

Thank you for staying with us at Medina Executive North Ryde, and for also providing your valuable feedback.
At Medina Executive North Ryde, we encourage all forms of feedback as this allows us to identify areas for praise, as well as areas for improvement.
It would appear on this occasion that the odour of the apartment proved to be most discomforting, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Please be rest assured that all our apartments are non smoking, and we provide an ash tray in each apartment courtyard to encourage guests to smoke outdoor, although it would appear quite difficult to control.
I have also notified our housekeeping department of your concerns to ensure that all rooms which display an odour be placed out of service for any future guest.

Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Stayed at the Medina for 6 nights in February. The only positive thing about this "executive serviced" apartment is the very spacious units.
It is completely run down & their kitchen appliances are a joke - oven & dishwasher were both useless & non functioning & looked like they were from 1940!!! Never seen anything like it - apart from old motels with the price tag to match.
After 3 days of no cleaning in our room apart from haphazardly throwing the covers on our beds, I questioned the receptionist about this to her great irritation & was told they only clean the units on Mondays! Well too bad for me then as I checked in on a Monday & out on a Sunday..... Certainly not the service I normally receive in serviced apartments.
On top of everything they were replacing the fencing around their "gardens" & by 7am every morning I would have a couple of workmen outside the window with bandsaws making a racket.
I unfortunately managed to scratch a car in the carpark upon my departure while negotiating around huge piles of wood left by the workmen to do fencing with - & instead of just taking off & pretending nothing ever happened like so many unfortunately do - I duly went to reception & gave them the car registration number & the contact for Europcar to make a claim, as I was fully insured through them. To my great horror - the Medina had taken it upon themselves to hand out my personal information found in the computer & I received a phone call on my personal mobile phone in the middle of the night while asleep in another country 3 days later from the owner of the car complaining he could not get a hold of Europcar.....Not even sure this is legal for them to do & furious that they did not ask my consent first!!!
My complaints are endless - but will stop here as to not sound like a bore....
In my opinion this place should be hit up for false advertising on the web!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde? Share your experiences!