“Great breakfast, good room, bad shower” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort

You added Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort to your Saves list
Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   20 - 28 Fitzroy Street, Leura, New South Wales 2780, Australia (Formerly Mercure Resort Blue Mountains)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leura
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great breakfast, good room, bad shower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We (family of four) stayed at the hotel for one night on a family special. The price was a bit high, but it is in a good area (and a tourist area), so it is probably a fair price. The price included breakfast, which was the highlight for all of us. Nice buffet, lots of choice, friendly staff. The rooms were okay. Nothing special, beds a bit hard for my taste, but no problems with noise and they were clean. The real downfall as far as we were all concerned was the shower. First, the "window" in the room with the shower is really two pieces of glass that are not connected. What this meant is it was very cold in the room, which I don't find pleasant when showering. Add to the cold room that the hot water would only come through the faucet and not the showerhead and you ended up with a cold shower in a cold room. Not a great way to wake up.
I still gave the hotel a good score because of the breakfast and the nice size room, but they need to work on their plumbing!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights during apr school holidays. This is a basic motel but given the price we paid ($145 per night on avg) and what other places at blue mountains are charging , it was a good stay. Cleanliness is average but beds were comfortable. We stayed in a resort room and it has most items we needed. It also have a microwave in the room. We can hired DVDs for free although chioces pretty limited. Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. The breakfast room is nice and bright, lots of choices of food and it's a great way to start the day. My 4yrs old son always gets to eat for free. Location is quiet and we love it . We will stay here again in future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I only stayed one night to attend a wedding at the Fairmont, so it was very convenient for that. The room was basic but had a very comfortable bed. Unfortunately the room was poorly soundproofed and I could hear the conversations and laughter from the women in the adjoining room (there was a locked inter-connecting door) loud and clear. There was also a very disconcerting hum from some electrical plant nearby which made earplugs necessary for sleeping. This may not be a problem in rooms further away. (I was in room 22.) My room was a bit shabby and could do with a bit of updating. However the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was plentiful if a little basic and it was a pretty location. The price was a bit high for the standard (I paid $140 a night). With a bit of refurbishment this could be a great little place for a weekend in the Mountains.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the humming electrical plant.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We recently stayed for 3 nights. The room was a great size, it was clean and tidy. We didn't have any trouble checking in or out. Breakfast was included in our price and they had a great selection. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was our first visit to the Blue Mountains and we found our visit and stay in Leura Gardens very satisfactory. The resort location was great for visiting the various attractions in the Blue Mountains of Sydney. The gardens setting is beautiful and the area of the motel was very close to the Leura Village & Katoomba. Very good and free cooked breakfast and very friendly staff. Our unit had a nice balcony and was nicely decorated and fitted. Very good value ( we xheck few other places before making the reservation)- Higly recommended

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I did a lot of research before traveling to the Blue Mountains as I made this journey by myself and wanted to make sure I liked where I was staying and felt safe there. This hotel was by far the best price for it's value. Many of the hotels I Iooked at online in the area frankly looked scary and were the same price if not more. I booked this hotel and had a nice experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast in the morning was very nice, but be aware, if you don't have a car, you will pay the difference for a nicer hotel near the city in taxi fares. The train fare going to Leura was $8.20, which is less than a couple liters of petrol. Amazing. That said, a taxi charged me $20 to go maybe 6km. The fare to go 1.5km up to main street was over $10 each way from the hotel. I stand by my feeling if you don't want to spend $300 on a hotel, this is the nicest for its value but either have a car or stay closer to the main street. This hotel looks like it was built in the 70's and many of the amenities have not been updates since(faucets, bathroom, carpet) but there's a flatscreen, it's quiet, and the bed is comfy.

Room Tip: Great place if you have a car
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,471 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

As I've often said, perception and value are so important but can change from person to person.
I had booked this after looking at the web sites and was influenced by "waldorf" which connotes a certain quality, "B and B resort" which suggests small, boutique and intimate and "country hospitality" which in normal cases means warm and friendly.
The photograph on this page even looks like a small intimate boutique style B&B.
Once you get beyond these few metres, it turns into a basic brick motel and none of the above assumptions holds true.
I was also influenced by the fact that i had rung the "motel" and asked about pricing and whether the $250 for the only available room was the best if I kept looking at the web sites that I still had open.
She said yes and I accepted as I didn't want to spend hours chasing a deal.
Imagine my anger when I noticed on the travel sites that they all offered the same room for $230.
It's only $20 but it was more the lack of openness and honesty.
When I checked in, I asked about it and they said I wasn't specific enough about it.
I said I had asked about better rates but they replied I didn't actually ask "if I looked at Expedia or Wotif, would I find a better rate"
This was all a bit cute for me and next time (except there won't be a next time) I would ensure I had a solicitor check the exact words of the deal.
The other main issue for me is that travellers who have experienced overseas quality would assume a similar quality to "waldorf Astoria" a well known quality brand.
I seriously wonder why a local company with motels would use such a name/brand.
The most objective critic of the quality and perception would be Lynn - she wasn't aware of any of these thoughts and as we walked into the room, the first comment she made was "we are not spending any time in here are we - what time is dinner at Solitary, who can we find to visit so that we don't have to spend time in this motel room"
She had no idea that we had just committed to $250 for this room - in her mind, it was a basic $99 motel room.
So yes, for all those who have paid $99, it may seem like value but if you have paid $200 plus, you would be seriously questioning it.
I have regularly paid more than $250 for the Sheraton, Hyatt, Westin etc. but this is no Sheraton, Hyatt or Westin.
When I asked about the pool, they start by saying it is an outdoor pool, and on further questioning about heating, they say it is solar heated but won't answer the question about its temperature.
In the mountains, "solar" must surely be cold but nonetheless I tried it.
I swim in either the harbour or the beach every day and let me tell you that they are warmer than "solar" at Leura.
As I was swiming a few lapas, I looked up to the motel rooms and thought I was in a scene from Jailhouse Rock" - the rooms looked small and the balconies made from look like the inmates from a jail.
Apart from that, the spa was dirty - there was sand on the bottom - no idea how it would have got there but it certainly didn't look like it was cleaned too often.
The sad thing is that the Blue Mountains is such a wonderful place to visit and a boutique style B&B would be perfect for such a weekend - unfortunately the Waldorf is just another large brick motel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort? Share your experiences!