“Extraordinary, out of body,experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 70 Restaurants in Katoomba
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
UK
“Extraordinary, out of body,experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had walked around the town looking for restaurants without having done any research. We began to despair after an hour of pavement-pounding when we happened upon Avalon.

The menu looked interesting enough and so we took the stairs up to the restaurant. Nothing could have prepared us for the outre interior. There was a random abundance of 'tinsel trappings', fabrics and gew-gaws that assaulted our senses. It was like being teleported onto a movie set from a bygone era. (Talk about 'Beam me up, Scottie'.....)

We realised fairly quickly that it had been an old cinema and that someone with enterprise, flair and sheer quirkiness had seen the potential. It took quite some time to get settled because our eyes were constantly drawn to another unusual bauble or trinket.

I can honestly say that I have never been into a gents loo like that one ever before - I imagine it is akin to what hippies called a 'trip'. The serving staff were dressed in sympathy with the ambience and certainly echoed the uniqueness of the place.

Oh yes, it was a restaurant- duh !

The food was good, the service very good and I would tell you all about it if I could remember what we ate. Such was the distraction of this highly idiosyncratic experience. I think that if you are ever in Katoomba you should give it a try - and then go to detox on a strong but decaffeinated coffee..................................

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Its always been great and it always will be, you have to go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Avalon is one of those special places that has the rare combination of friendly efficient caring professional and flexible service, consistant high quality food and drink an atmosphere that cannot be replicated,and a menu and pricing that would upset us for ever if they removed the must try dishes- which i have to say is all of them
we have been going for years and even after moving away from the mountains this is one place we have to go each visit
if you are in katoomba - you will not be disapointed- dont forget to book

• Visited February 2013
Sydney, AUS
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a great dinner for two here last week. The service was fantastic and the food very tasty and fresh. Had the spring rolls for entree and the chicken fillets with a dask of cream.

Licorice cheescake for dessert! Wow!! Fabulous flavours.

This is a must for any local or visitor to the Mountains. Excelllent value as well.

• Visited February 2013
“Lovely experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night and weren't sure what to expect. The restaurant had a very kitschy quirky feel about it, with the decor almost frilly 50's themed. I love that kind of thing, so immediately got a kick out of it.

My partner and I had the slow cooked lamb roast, wrapped in a rasher of bacon, in lime and red wine jus, with vegetables and "big chip" which were really crunchy roast potatoes. Oh my goodness.... the lamb fell apart at the slightest touch. It was moist and lovely, and the jus flavour was very complimentary. The potatoes were... I can't even tell you how delicious. Potatoes always rate second to lamb with me, but they were fierce competitors in this meal. Amazing stuff.

The majority of the staff were lovely ladies who were pleasant and very busy. They lost 1 point for service from me because of one individual who was making it very clear that she did not want to be there. She grumpily took our dessert order, went back behind the counter and started to tap dance. We found it slightly peculiar. 10 mins later another of the wait staff had to ask us our dessert order again because "it didn't make it to the kitchen the first time".

I feel bad for giving lower points for service, because all but 1 person was doing a great job. But in hospitality, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

We weren't upset about this experience, though, because the meal was wonderful and the nice lady that took our payment more than made up for the other one carrying on like a pork chop. She even made sure we'd put our name down for the great offer of "eat for free on your birthday".

We will be back.

Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Last weekend I went to Katoomba with some friend for dinner and remembered a restuarant that I use to frequent over a decade ago. Avalon is at the top of Katoomba street and ask for a window table and you get a fantastic view of the Megalong Valley. The food and service was excellent and the early 1900 decor is exquisite. Great place to try.

• Visited January 2013