“Variable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: Blue Mountains Best Dining Experience | Darleys Restaurant. Our Blue Mountains Restaurant offers modern Australian cuisine which is served in a romantic space that features beautiful stained glassed windows, original ornate fire places, crystal chandeliers and offers guests a breathtaking view of the surrounding gardens and the Jamison Valley. Open: 6.00PM - 10.30 PM : Tuesday to SaturdayA La Carte Menu2 Courses - $95 pp3 Courses - $125 ppNote: Weekends and public holidays - set price 3 courses $125 6 Course Degustation Tasting Menu $160 ppMatching Wines $75 pp
Sydney, Australia
2,573 reviews 2,573 reviews
1,450 restaurant reviews
1,150 helpful votes 1,150 helpful votes
“Variable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Your reviewers match my own feelings over the years - occasionally wonderful and sometimes I wonder about the attitude and pretensiousness.
Having said all of that, it is still a wonderful location and yes it can be expensive but you know that when you go there and you put that to the side and you just relax and enjoy one of Australia's better tourist destinations - it is still a great place to escape the city and relax for a weekend.

Visited March 2012

Hong Kong Region, China
“Food Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Such a lovely restaurant, Cocktails were lovely (caprioskas a must!) and i loved the Wagyu beef cheek and garlic roasted aritchoke hearts (HEAVEN!). When we went it was raining heavily which was actually lovely..Make sure you reserve a table ont he sun deck as it is enclosed so its still warm and weather prood all year round, and offer beasutiful views over the pool, gardens and mountains in the backdrop.

Visited February 2012
Fakenham, United Kingdom
“Pretentious moi or what?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Staying at the lovely Lilianfels Hotel whose in-house restaurant was excellent - we foolishly booked into Darleys restaurant in the grounds expecting the same high standard.
What a mistake. Just that sort of rarified 'aren't we wonderful' sort of atmosphere we hate. In fact, we should have left immediately having admired the exceptionally beautiful building. The wine list was incredibly expensive and one was obliged to have two courses, either a starter and main course or a main course and desert. Because there was nothing that my husband fancied as a starter - I ate alone then we ate together for the main and he alone for the desert (as I am not a desert eater). Not quite the way one wishes to have dinner together. The dishes are the sort that are described in incredible detail with masses of esoteric ingredients which frankly one is hardly aware of once the food is served. The worse thing was a side dish of french beans smoked - ghastly, they tasted as if they had been cooked on a bonfire. The whole experience was absolutely not enjoyable and very expensive to boot. We spent six weeks travelling in Australia and New Zealand and frankly this was our worse dining experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great night and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012 via mobile

First time eating at Darley's, was a great night. Try the marron, was my favorite dish of the night. I will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
oxford uk
“Expensive and disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I had dinner recently at Darleys restaurant. My wife thought her three courses were ' quite nice'. My starter and dessert were nice but the main course of pheasant was horrible, the meat teasing of a cross between wet blotting paper and overlooked tuna fish. Putting this course to one side as either a rare aberration on the part of the chef or my taste buds leaves us with the 5 ' nice' courses. The problem here is that the meal was expensive at 360 dollars for two and for this price should have been delicious not just nice. I have just eaten at the Sepia restaurant in Sydney and I guess this is the sort of sophisticated cooking Darleys is aiming for. However, it is unfortunately a miss. Of course, what's delicious is a personal matter but the other three restaurants I have been to recently have all served delicious food of a diverse nature : Sepia mentioned above, Billy Kwong in Sydney ( now the duck there is incredibly delicious ) and Bistro Molines in the Hunter Valley. I feel there is determination to serve complex food which ignores its taste.
The service was good, and the restaurant has a great location. The decor seems a bit like a 1950s English seaside hotel and could do with updating. I could not recommend this restaurant to anyone. I have had 4 holidays in Australia in recent years and this is my only bad restaurant experience.

• Visited February 2012