“Wonderful old-world charm!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Heritage

You added Mountain Heritage to your Saves list
Mountain Heritage
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Apex & Lovel Streets, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney
“Wonderful old-world charm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was taken here for a birthday weekend by my partner and it was the most lovely place I've stayed in Katoomba (I used to live in Katoomba so I am very familiar with all it's accommodations).
We had a Heritage View Room, which was enormous with the most breathtakingly beautiful view, as the hotel is perched on a hill.
I loved the ambience - the halls are full of old black and white photographs of the property, the decor is gorgeous art-deco and we LOVED the pianist who plays every Saturday night. The cocktails are great and although we didn't eat at the restaurant, I think it's views would be among the best in Katoomba...
History-buffs will appreciate this glimpse into the past. Relaxation seekers will love the view and the spa facilities. Easy walking distance to the main street.
I am pretty sure it's got some ghosts, but they were not negative at all...:)

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and splash out for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A special gift for a night away with my husband left us both disappointed. For a start the cost per night in NZD288.00 was acceptable at the time of researching what was available so on arrival it was not acceptable. Entry to this hotel is through a side door that says "reception" but then there is short walk through a hall way to a very sad dark reception desk. What was so noticeable at the first step in to the building was the smell. Somewhere between disinfectant and an old peoples' home. Horribly strong and offensive. Back to reception. The key was handed over with instructions that we go up the spiral staircase to our room. No offer of suitcase handlng which I feel very strongly about for the cost of room. The reception and staff were abysmal I am sad to say. The room- as booked a view to the Blue Mountains which was lovely. Bathroom clean and very adequate. Fabulous bed, tv that would only go on One channel and no WIFI . What year are we in??? This grand old lady boasts she has had $A5m spent on her . I would very much liked to have had the opportunity to discuss certain aspects on our departure but the receptionist did not look up from her desk and I think she said Thank you.

Room Tip: Do ask for the Jamieson view room. The website makes everything look v glam.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear MonBichon
Thank you for your comments. I am not sure what smell you are referring to as the deodorising spray we use is one called Floral Mist which is used in many accommodation properties throughout Australia.
The receptionist on duty cannot recall your check in and check out situation but we do pride ourselves on our very friendly service and as part of our check in procedure we always ask guests if they require assistance with luggage whilst they are advising guests about all our facilities etc.
The new LED flat screen TV in your room has a total of 13 channels and all are operational so I can't understand how you could only manage to find one. Reception staff or our duty manager would have been happy to assist you if you had advised us. We do have Wi Fi available on request.
I am happy that you found the facilities in you room very clean and the bed was comfortable.
Thank you once again for your comments
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here many times over the years and there is always a pleasant atmosphere. It's a good location close to Katoomba Main Street, restaurants, Cafes etc. I recommend taking in a Saturday night as the piano man plays in the cocktail bar and it's a real treat. Rooms are comfortable and clean, and if you can get one with a view it's better. My only complaint, although small, is the faint sound of a fan or maybe a spa that I could hear at night. It's possible to walk to Echo Point from the hotel. Maybe half an hour.

• Stayed December 2012
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Its tragic that this place used to be the great California hotel where in the 1930s the movers and shakers of Sydney would come up for wild weekends. The best thing about this place now are the pictures on the wall harking back to those glory days.

I have to say I was crestfallen having booked this hotel thinking it would be a great place for a night's stay to unwind in the Blue Mountains before flying back to UK. The Spa hotel aspect is a complete misnomer, it's not a spa hotel.

The staff on arrival showed no interest, personality, or attempt to please, more tired, bored, uninterested in life. The whole place was soulless and lifeless. Walking into breakfast was like walking into a morgue, with the other lobotomised guests silently dribbling into their cold English breakfast. And yes Roger, the food was lukewarm at best despite your earlier comments that you prod it with a thermometer.

The place needs a refurb, the decor is outdated, somewhere in the info bumph it boasts about its 90s refit, that is 20 years ago now...
The room was spacious but I didn't have a view, despite the fact I'm sure there was plenty of spare rooms available that did.
The shower needed infinitessimal minute adjustments of the two faux gold taps to find the magic place between scalding hot and freezing cold.
Have to say the bed was very comfy and that mountain air makes for a good night's sleep.

On leaving the hotel I wasn't asked how my stay was at all..

The saddest thing about this place is the potential it has to be amazing. Refurb the rooms, get in some young enthusiastic staff. Get a spa, ie jacuzzi, sauna, decent pool facilities.

To think the price of this place was quoted as slashed from 299 dollars to 130. It's not worth the price. Sorry.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Toto
We are sorry the hotel decore did not match your expectations, the furniture and fittings are not out-dated, they are designed to match the era and reflect the history of the original Blue Mountains Guest Houses. This is not a modern “cookie cutter” style of hotel, and it is unfortunate the hotel does not match your personal taste.
I am pleased you found your room to be spacious, which is indeed another point that sets us apart from regular hotel room offerings. It is apparent the lack of a view from your room has negatively impacted your level of satisfaction, (we would have gladly rectified this had you brought it to our notice) resulting in your derogatory description of other guests at breakfast, in our restaurant, which does have magnificent views of the Jamison Valley rugged sandstone cliffs and escarpment.
The pricing you mention does not match any tariff we offer, it is however, encouraging you found the bed comfortable, and you enjoyed a good nights sleep.
I would be pleased to discuss your stay further with you, should you wish to contact me directly.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband & I stayed 1 night in a Heritage room 32, the room was a good size with Queen bed, sofa, tea & coffee, wardrobe, fridge with minibar, flat screen TV & very nice good size bathroom. Very nice drapes with matching lamps, comfortable bed. We took our own alcohol & that would be my only concern if we hadn't as $9 for a Tooheys New & $5 for a Pepsi, is a tad steep. Would stay again as our stay was very relaxing.

Room Tip: If we were staying longer I would have asked if we could upgrade to a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in a View room. It was nothing special in terms of the room or the customer service. There is better accomodation in Katoomba. If you do stay, don't bother with the spa - the massage was very ametuer and overpriced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Bel M
Thank you for your feedback although I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay in one of our Jamison Valley View rooms. You also mentioned that our customer service was average (you did not choose to have any Food and Beverage service during your stay)
even though as soon as we found out that it was your honeymoon we sent up a complimentary bottle of Sparkling Wine to your room. Your husband even approached our staff and thanked them for our service.
I spoke to the Manager of our award winning Spa Sublime regarding your negative comments about your massage and she advised me that she was one of the staff who carried out your 30 minute massage. She has 20 years experience and is also an instructor in this area and was also quite confused to hear that they were expensive as their prices are vey competitve with other establishments in the area.
Thank you once again for your comments
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in the larger Valley View Suite.

It was so large, I am sure some people would envy the living space. 13 foot ceilings (est.) and olde style without looking old (run down). Fine furniture, comfortable bed, 46" flat TV.

With horrible weather outside, we were cold. No problem. The wood fireplace was set ready for us. It lit easily and heated the room beautifully once it got to temperature. We dozed off in front of the fire for a little while before heading just up the road to Katoomba main St for dinner. If the fireplace wasn't so good, we might have used the two air conditioners to help but we didn't need it.

We didn't use the kitchenette but it looked fine and useful. My wife enjoyed the spa. There was tonnes of hot water (not like all other hotels we've been to).

The view was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!