“Shabby not chic” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Carrington Hotel

You added The Carrington Hotel to your Saves list
The Carrington Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 - 47 Katoomba St, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780, Australia   |
Special Offer
Call Now For Best Rates!
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
“Shabby not chic”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The bath was chipped and cracked with rust stains and a perished rubber bath mat. The hand basin was in a similar dilapidated state. The electric blanket on the other side of the bed didn’t work, the pillows were so flat that even with all four supplied I still awoke with a wry neck.Every movement and sound from rooms adjacent and above echoed in my room. On my last morning I was woken by hammering and drilling at 7am.On my arrival I was looking forward to sinking into a comfy chair with a glass of wine and my book in front of the raging log fire in cosy guest lounge. However there was insufficient staff to remove the glasses and plates that kept piling on tables over two hours, let alone tend the fire. In order to read I had to use the light on my phone.Despite the hotel being booked out, there was no food served after 4pm. After the lack of dinner the previous night, I was looking forward to a couple of eggs for breakfast but hot food was not included in the $220 nightly rate. On checking out, as I was paying for the extras (including $34 for a $10 bottle of wine) via EFTPOS I was obviously too slow putting in my pin number because the receptionist said, “Haven’t you finished yet?” If you have a disability, forget the Carrington. There are no disabled parking spaces but if there were, you would not be able to negotiate the numerous steps to the hotel. And even if you did manage to get in, you would be foiled by the lift that demands you open the door within 30 seconds otherwise it closes and you have to start again. The glass fire doors that are so heavy they can only be opened by firemen. I was booked into a “Colonial Room” which means it is a relic of colonial times. Peeling paint, cracked porcelain and the generally shoddy condition of this establishment are not quaint and quirky. They are shabby, not chic, and this place is long overdue for a refurbishment.

Room Tip: Don't choose a Colonial Room. No disabled facilities
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is my first review on Trip Advisor but my stay at the Carrington Hotel was so disappointing I wanted to share my experience, reading the current reviews on Trip advisor I was amazed with the very good/excellent reviews it has received, it seems like an entirely different hotel.
The exterior of the building is beautiful and retains character and charm however once you step inside the charm soon disappears, there was no heat in the entire hotel, we spent our time wearing our jackets, with no advance notification from the hotel prior or during check in.
The atmosphere was not pleasant many of the staff where not very friendly and it appeared to be an inconvenience to bother them.
The rooms are over priced and outdated, I found that when the made up the room the next day it was to a very low standard and many corners were skipped. Although when I met the housekeeping staff they were very friendly and had no problem providing us with extra linen.
Overall I was glad to check out at 9am and I will not be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were not expecting much from the traditional room ( shared bathroom), and were delighted at the spacious, simply decorated room. The shared bathroom/ toilet facilities were charming, they were very spacious and clean. There were hair dryers and ironing board for guest as well, it was an interesting experience for us. We never met anyone else in the bathroom throughout the 2 days we were there. It's not for everyone I suppose but we didn't mind that, bring your own dressing gown so its more convenient to use these facilities at night.
All the public spaces oozes yesteryear charms. The open fireplace in the public sitting room in the evening were mellow and it was lovely to sit by in the evening with a glass of wine.
The buffet continental breakfast were delicious with lots of fruit, cereals, breads and pastries to choose from.
The front desk is no more than professional in their dealing with us.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room opening into courtyard.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband suprised me with a night away at the blue mountains and we stayed at the very beautiful Carrington Hotel. The hotel is magical. Both outside and inside the hotel you feel you are back 100 years in a magical place. The staff were very friendly and all seemed to know about the hotel, happy to share the history.
We stayed in a premier spa room with gorgeous views of the blue mountains. I really enjoyed the room, such character, and so much better than a sterile modern hotel room. We had a massive bed, beautiful furniture in the room and big bathroom.
We had dinner at the restaurant, the grand dining room. It is truly out of this world, food was lovely, staff attentive yet not intrusive and the atmosphere amazing. We had a proposal at the table next to us which also put a buzz to the restaurant.
If you are looking for a relaxing experience in the blue mountains this is a fabulous place to do it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Upon entering the grounds of the Carrington your thoughts are immediately directed to yester year. The place oozes old world charm and is perfect as a base for exploring the wonders of the Blue Mountains and local valley tracks. The hotel has been so wonderfully restored that you readily forgive the minor faults.
The hotel boasts a large dining room as well as separate areas to escape the throngs and find quiet reading or thinking time in front of a warm fire and with a fine wine. If you can't relax staying here then you won't be able to relax anywhere.
I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are very quiet
Wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Carrington is old world charm. Whilst it is an old hotel it seems to have been well cared for. The room was huge and well decorated with a feeling of luxury. It is well situated at the top of small hill on the main road and a short walk to all shops, restaurants etc. The staff were pleasant but not overly helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Stunning hotel. So much history, in such beautiful condition, rooms lovely. If only the sense of grandeur and tradition could be matched by the staff. Unfortunately the interest level here is zilch. The way we were treated on check-in, in the bar and virtually kicked out of the dining room at 9pm and refused dessert was akin to a scene in Fawlty Towers. Hilarious if it wasn't happening to me.

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!